IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

@sandyk

I understand that you have strong opinions in this area but I don't understand why you felt the need to shit all over this thread.

@Ajax

I suggest that you ask Chris for moderation rights and delete the off topic posts.

Yes, please delete all the crap from Sandy and let's try to get @marce to stay here.

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Most Audiophiles don't give a damn about Academic reports like this ...

If true, those people are fools.

Try using your OWN ears and report what YOU hear for a change, instead of bragging about idiotic rage fests.  And start your own damn threads.

OR try cutting the pills in half.

9 hours ago, Teresa said:

I guess that makes me a fool. @GUTB says I'm not an audiophile so maybe he is right?

I don't read academic reports in any field, especially audio. Boring in the extreme IMHO. I even quit subscribing to Stereophile magazine because I find equipment reports extremely boring and Stereophile has too few music reviews and most are not from the audiophile and the small boutique music companies I prefer. And they almost never review SACDs even though over 10,000 SACDs have been released. Even at less than $1 per issue I found Stereophile a bad deal for me.

Oh, also I abhor doing any comparison between music formats, it ruins pleasurable music listening for me for many days. I don't mind reading other people's comparisons though.

Even though I'm now able to enjoy CDs and 16/44.1 lossless music files, the music in my collection I enjoy the most are from SACDs and DSD downloads. As long as my audio system keeps working I listen 100% of the time for pleasure. I dread the day when something breaks down that is too expensive to repair and I have to once again listen analytically. I prefer just listening to music for pleasure and if that means I'm a fool I'm OK with that.

The Reiss article I mentioned is not an equipment report - it analyzes different listening sessions to determine if people could hear a difference between hiRes and Redbook.  Sandman seems not to understand that

8 hours ago, marce said:

This couldn't be two identical files are different, could it...

As the files are identical if you sent them me and I renamed them how would you tell which is which... Want to try it.

Not a valid test, as the renaming would cause bit infection in the file.  It's like activating a dormant virus in the human body...

Anything that challenges science is a firmly entrenched belief to some people....

Absolutely correct, esldude.  But I am with Jabbr as to keeping HiRes as HiRes - we don't know where that frequency is exactly, and it is prudent to maintain anything that might be there assuming no over-weaning costs or trouble to do so.

And I am keeping my HiRes salt too!  If nothing else, it can be sprinkled on trolls.

31 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Yet nobody provides any definitive proof that silences the naysayers.

did you read the Reiss study??  even Redbook vs. HiRes can be detected by trained listeners

of course, the optimal thing to do is never allow yourself to be entrained