IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Ah, so your definition of "listening to other people" is to keep soaking up POVs you disagree strongly with, and know are wrong - until you are brainwas ... err, persuaded that they have something special to offer. Something like, if you keep listening to what Trump says, over and over again, you will end up understanding that he is probably the great saviour of mankind, in these dark times 🙂.

???

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Let's say we are both confused ... 🙂.

I've been reading, and hearing the same stories, over and over again, for decades, about what makes for good listening ... and, it ... doesn't ... work. By contrast, I've established a certain approach which always works - provided one persists with the exercise ... so, whom I'm listening to, are my ears, 😉.

Whatever turns your crank, Frank.

Enjoy your laptop and YouTube videos!

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You want the start of a "formula"? Right, go out and buy a dCS Rossini  ... all the reports I've read since the model came out tick the boxes which say the engineering has been done well enough, so that the normal digital 'nasties' have been eliminated - so, at least one component is now "good enough" in raw form that it doesn't have to be fiddled with.

So, it costs money? Well, that''s how it works, if you want solutions ...

Have you heard it? How does it compare to your current DAC?

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I need to cajole and treat with lots of TLC the DACs I use, to get those qualities emerging

What DACs do you own?

Can you share with us the modifications you've made to them?

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

There's the original Yamaha CDP; another Yamaha, a CD-1050, which was just a second pickup, to use "in an emergency" - which I have not done much to; the Philips HT all-in-one which probably doesn't count 😄- but it used a half decent Crystal Semiconductor chip; and the current NAD CDP.

I don't make mods to the area directly around the chips; what I concentrate on is ensuring that the power supplies within the units see as little noise as possible. So, I have done many, many experiments trying to completely shield the DAC proper from any possible interference which can find its way through the mains supply; this means improving the filtering of the supplies within the boxes, and adding filters to the mains coming in - I've tried all sorts of DIY methods that have been mentioned over the years, rather that trying commercial units - these all work to a fairly decent degree, but I've never been completely happy with anything so far as doing the job to 100% effectiveness. Which means part of the process of getting best sound includes switching off all electrical noise makers in the house - not the ideal solution, 😞.

A critical part, relevant to this thread, is that the DACs always have to be heavily conditioned - many people leave them on 24/7, and I totally agree; further to that, is that I exercise them vigorously, playing stuff like high energy rock, say, for a couple of hours - before listening seriously.

So, I don't do anything particularly unusual - but I have to do it thoroughly; if I compromise, then I won't get the SQ I'm after.

What is so important about units like the dCS is that they appear to taken the measures necessary to get the optimum conditions in place, without jumping through these hoops. Doing it the way I am is just annoying, because one can't just switch on, and get "the sound" just like that - but it shows what happens when you get it right.

This clears up the confusion.

When folks here talk about DACs, they are usually referring to stand alone units, not the DAC circuitry within an ancient CD player.

I'm sure the $25,000 dCS DAC does a fine job. I'm a little surprised you would mentioned it though after all your posts raging about expensive equipment and "bling".

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Stand alone units introduce another set of problems, because of the necessary link from the transport - the Rossini is a CDP, which is going to help to get the best from CDs.

I thought you were referring to the Rossini DAC, not the Rossini CDP.

I keep forgetting that you are a CD-only guy.

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

what you call "thread destruction" is actually known as "reality"

It's also Fake News.

Subjectivists and "Subjective based threads" are not endangered species on this site despite Alex's tendency to Cry Dingo.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Because otherwise he'd have to admit being guilty of the same offense.

But in all fairness to our Much Maligned Friend From Down Under, he has toned things down in recent months.

31 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That is something that he is incapable of doing.

Just as you're incapable of ignoring his attempts to wind you up. 

Why don't you do us all a favor and add him to your IGNORE list?