IGNORED

Article: Audeze LCD-4z Review

1 hour ago, Sonis said:

I would like very much for Audeze to respond, but they declined to do so and their technical director said on the phone (after a bit of hemming and hawing) that there is no way that the Audeze LCD-4z would sound as good as a pair of Sennheiser HD-800s phones, which I found to be an incredible confession. IE that they cannot build a pair of phones costing $4000 that’s as good as a competitor’s offering costing less than half as much!

That is truly remarkable (and I appreciate his candor).

1 hour ago, Sonis said:

I popped the ear pads off and saw no way of getting the ear cup apart without voiding the warranty, and I saw no serial numbers that I could access without taking each cup apart. Not my phones, didn’t want to do that...

A bit of 32P radio-label would have been perfect.  

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

In the review, Sonis wrote:

“The tech director of Audeze  called a few days later and confirmed that the 4z’s were, indeed defective. He said that they would be replacing the drivers with a new, matched pair.”

in a subsequent comment he wrote:

”Nobody from Audeze called ME at anytime, they called the owner of the phones as I have mentioned before. “

Clear cut case of misrepresenting the truth to readers of AS.  It should have been stated in the review that he didn’t participate in this conversation and was only passing on what his friend shared.  

It is a clear case of ambiguity at worst.

19 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I was fooled into thinking that you had worked directly with Audeze to allow them to put their best foot forward so you could give their product a fair chance.  

So paying the company nearly $4K for a set of headphones (which most normal people would consider insane) somehow isn't enough incentive "to allow them to put their best [product] forward"?

Are you suggesting that just a normal run-of-the-mill customer with $4K to burn isn't entitled to the same quality of product as a reviewer who gives a wink and a nod?

Why would you feel so compelled to shamelessly shill for them like this?  

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

Consumer reports reviews the $100,000 Tesla?  My assumption was that their reviews were primarily of products the mass market would consider.  For example, the best mid-size car.  

In other words, you have no idea what you are talking about.  (CU gave Tesla the highest possible ratings for a few years.  Until their cars started catching fire.)

But while you are playing catch-up, read the Bose vs. Consumer Reports wiki article I posted.  It is right up your ally.

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

I stand corrected. Yeah I was way off on the mark on that one.  And after further thought I agree that there is a place for a consumer reports approach for a $4000 headphone.  I was coming at this from the perspective that AS was aiming for a different clientele:  an audiophile who would be visiting a boutique site site like AS.

I also have to admit that I got a little steamed after being accused of “shamelessly shilling” for Audeze.  I should have just walked away and not responded further.  I will do so now. 

And lastly, I apologize for my snarky reply to you @kumakuma

Oh, cheer up.  You accomplished your main mission:  total distraction

GettyImages-1172289651-800x534.jpg

11 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

An audio system built around CR reviews will be very inexpensive and appallingly mediocre. 

Is that a fact??? Or simply your snobbery? You seem to believe that CU is too pedestrian to appreciate sound quality. Perhaps your expectation bias is set by the price tag.

Lenin had a term for this.

10 hours ago, AudezeLLC said:

When measuring drivers just by themselves in an IEC baffle,  both LCD-4 and LCD-4Z provide a textbook/theoretical response. This forms the basic foundation. We shape this response to our desired target response through the design of the housing and earpads. After the transducers, the earpads have the largest influence on the sound signature.

Is there any chance you could post images of those measurements here?  This would be the most definitive way to refute the criticism.