IGNORED

Can System Noise be saved to HDDs, SDs, etc. in digital audio files?

6 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Electrical noise most certainly DOES get stored at a low level in a digital file.

Depends on the storage medium. For example, a punch card either has a hole in a given position or it doesn't. A worn punch machine might produce poorly shaped holes, but that won't be influenced by power supply noise.

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The system is working as described. 

For example in a PLL or any error feedback system, the further away a signal is from the center, the larger the error signal: is that a voltage or current? Power draw? Consider a situation in which the error correction circuitry requires current draw.

Could you be any more vague?

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

The simple answer is that when looking at how bird are stored on storage media at a low level there an optical or magnetic state. The readout electronics take these on platter states and convert to a digital signal. This process requires power and in many situations, the power required to convert the state to an electrical bit varies depending on the degree to which the state deviated from ideal. 

Does it, though, to any relevant extent? Supposing it does, how would these fluctuations propagate across multiple copies and network transfers? It's preposterous, and I'm surprised to see you of all people arguing otherwise.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

In any case @alfe is actually one of the world’s experts on this exact topic and I am hesitant to go beyond my vague understanding.

Is he? All we know is that he allegedly works for some unnamed company that designs optical drives. We don't know his name, so we can't look up anything he might have published, and his posts are utterly devoid of any useful information, let alone anything by which his expertise might be judged.

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

I am explicitly NOT arguing otherwise. Read my posts. I have been very clear that these fluctuations DO NOT survive copy nor network transmission. Stop accusing me of being vague when you haven’t bothered to read my posts.

Maybe if you weren't so vague, you wouldn't be misunderstood.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Explain yourself. PLL synchronization works by error feedback (of course the errors are not but errors)

Your point being? A PLL consists of a phase comparator, a low-pass filter, and a VCO. The operation is continuous, not something that only kicks in when the error crosses some threshold.