IGNORED

Audioengine HD6 VS Klipsch The Sixes

Looking for a speaker upgrade for listening to high quality lossless music. (FLAC, AAC) I currently own the Audioengine A5+ and they are working fine however I am looking for an upgrade. My room is a medium sized room with 20ft on each side! (estimated) Which from the following two speakers have better specs and which one should I go for? I read the Klipsch sixes has a inbuilt DAC so does that mean I won't need a DAC for high quality audio or I can still use a DAC with the speakers and get better SQ by combining both. Currently planning to buy the Topping D50 DAC. Apologies if the questions are silly, I'm fairly new to this. Thank you all for the help in advance! ☺️🙏🏼

11 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

The only way to choose speakers is to listen--first in the audition room of a dealer and then take the top runners home and try them in your environment. There are many, many options at every price point.

Thank you for the additional tips sir. However, my question was mainly about the built in DAC in the speakers and the Topping D50s I am about to buy. Does the built in DAC in the speaker mean that I don't need a external DAC OR I can use the DAC with the in built DAC in the speakers and get great sound quality? 

Thank You! ☺️🙏🏼

1 hour ago, rn701 said:

I don't think you need a DAC with either. The built-in DACs are likely as good as the Topping. The Klipsch speakers have an advantage with USB input. Looks like the HD6 only has optical. How do you connect now?

Now connecting using rca however willing to switch to SPDIF Toslink. 

So I don't need the Topping D50 is that what you're implying sir? Because the speakers have built in DACs that are better? Or can I get a better DAC to pair with the speakers for maximum sound quality. 

For reference: http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=41.html

I would think, but do not know, that the Topping would be better than a DAC in a speaker at this level of cost.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

I would think, but do not know, that the Topping would be better than a DAC in a speaker at this level of cost.

Suggestions for a better DAC? Since the topping D50 isn't as good as the inbuilt speaker DAC? Is that what you meant or did you mean the Topping D50 would be better than the inbuilt DAC? Apologies! English is not my first language. 

57 minutes ago, ahmed98 said:

Suggestions for a better DAC? Since the topping D50 isn't as good as the inbuilt speaker DAC? Is that what you meant or did you mean the Topping D50 would be better than the inbuilt DAC? Apologies! English is not my first language. 

Sorry for the confusion..The Topping should be better than the DAC(s) in either speaker.  I have not heard the D50 but I currently have the NX4DSD in my system and it sounds grand.  That said, you may not be able to hear the difference through these speakers although the Topping will have much more capability for different file resolutions and format.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

21 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Sorry for the confusion..The Topping should be better than the DAC(s) in either speaker.  I have not heard the D50 but I currently have the NX4DSD in my system and it sounds grand.  That said, you may not be able to hear the difference through these speakers although the Topping will have much more capability for different file resolutions and format.

Can you suggest me some good speakers under $1000? My current speakers are the Audioengine A5+. 

This would be the first powered/active speaker I would look at that price point: https://www.amazon.com/Dynaudio-Xeo-Wireless-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B074W72HBZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dynaudio&qid=1564509078&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I would also consider the Edifier S3000Pro and the Adam: https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A5X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003USH8UO?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2581728011

Note the Adam price is per speaker so two will put you right at $1K.

Depending on the size of your room I might spring for the Adam A7X but they are another $500 per pair.

All of these speakers are 24/192 capable so unless you are interested in DSD, no external DAC required.

27 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

This would be the first powered/active speaker I would look at that price point: https://www.amazon.com/Dynaudio-Xeo-Wireless-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B074W72HBZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dynaudio&qid=1564509078&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I would also consider the Edifier S3000Pro and the Adam: https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A5X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003USH8UO?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2581728011

Depending on the size of your room I might spring for the Adam A7X but they are another $500 per pair.

All of these speakers are 24/192 capable so unless you are interested in DSD, no external DAC required.

Thank You So Much! ☺️🙏🏼

36 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I forgot to ask, what about the AirPulse A300? 

Look pretty good to me.  Designed by Phil Jones and a ribbon tweeter...certainly worth taking a chance.  One reviewer liked much more than the Edifier S2000Pro (I have the S1000DB) so that if you think the reviewer is legit, these read to be pretty good.  Perhaps look for reviews online.

2 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Look pretty good to me.  Designed by Phil Jones and a ribbon tweeter...certainly worth taking a chance.  One reviewer liked much more than the Edifier S2000Pro (I have the S1000DB) so that if you think the reviewer is legit, these read to be pretty good.  Perhaps look for reviews online.

Cool cool! The s3000 pro has treble and bass knobs. The current speakers I use don't have them so I don't know how to tune em. Leaving them in place and playing a track will give me the default audio with no Equalization right? Also, if I am buying the S3000 Pro, I don't need the DAC? Or can I get one if I can stretch my budget? I don't want to buy an external DAC if it is useless. 

With any of the speakers I put forth an external DAC is not needed (IMO) unless you listen to DSD.

9 hours ago, GregWormald said:

The A5+ speakers are a very good powered speaker in that price range--one of the best. I suspect that significantly bettering them would take at least twice the money, especially as you seem to like their sound signature.

I assume you must have a DAC at present. You certainly won't need an external DAC if the powered speakers have one built-in, and I suspect that an external DAC would not even connect. As the Topping DAC is $300 (on Amazon) this puts your $1000 budget for DAC + powered speakers at the bottom end of significant upgrades.

One of the worst diseases associated with audio is "upgraditis" and I urge you to audition new speakers IN YOUR ROOM before deciding how to proceed. It is very frustrating to spend good money and end up with a very minor upgrade, or worse, something you don't like as much.

I have doubled my budget to $1000 Sir. Can stretch to $1500 for a speaker with built in DAC and Bluetooth just as good as an external DAC. Any suggestions? 

The Topping is a good DAC. If you like the idea of powered speakers, I'd either get powered speakers without a DAC and use the Topping, or dump the Topping and get the best sounding powered speakers with an internal DAC I can find. 

Companies like Dynaudio  and Genelec make their all in one speakers (incl DAC and amps) as a system. With the better companies I think their "system" approach is superior - they know how to get the best bang for the buck out of the complete system. 

It's next to impossible to do the DAC comparison you are talking about. It's only really possible if a company makes the same speaker with and without an internal DAC and you could compare that way. 

Also, don't get caught up in the specs. Just try to audition and see what sounds best to you. The specs don't really matter and won't really tell you how the stuff will sound in your room to your ears. There's no direct correlation between so called "better specs" and how two different setups will sound to you. The specs only matter if it means the system can't do something you want it to (like playback specific formats) or if they seem to indicate the system isn't suitable for your room and listening habits - like listening very loud in a large room. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

The Topping is a good DAC. If you like the idea of powered speakers, I'd either get powered speakers without a DAC and use the Topping, or dump the Topping and get the best sounding powered speakers with an internal DAC I can find. 

Companies like Dynaudio  and Genelec make their all in one speakers (incl DAC and amps) as a system. With the better companies I think their "system" approach is superior - they know how to get the best bang for the buck out of the complete system. 

It's next to impossible to do the DAC comparison you are talking about. It's only really possible if a company makes the same speaker with and without an internal DAC and you could compare that way. 

Also, don't get caught up in the specs. Just try to audition and see what sounds best to you. The specs don't really matter and won't really tell you how the stuff will sound in your room to your ears. There's no direct correlation between so called "better specs" and how two different setups will sound to you. The specs only matter if it means the system can't do something you want it to (like playback specific formats) or if they seem to indicate the system isn't suitable for your room and listening habits - like listening very loud in a large room. 

Can you recommend a good powered speaker with no DAC? Budget $1000

34 minutes ago, ahmed98 said:

Can you recommend a good powered speaker with no DAC? Budget $1000

Dynaudio, Genelec, Emotiva, and the ones you have. I think they have no DAC models or models where you can buypass the DAC. It's pretty cheap to include a good DAC in such a speaker, as you only need the barebones DAC setup - unlike a desktop DAC where you need all the surrounding input and output stuff. Most of that is already in the powered speaker anyway.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Sirs and Gentlemen,

Having had a private conversation with Ahmed since several days, I like to hand in my short analysis of his situation:

1) He is situated on the Maldives, where going to the dealer, choosing the best after rehearsal and bring them home for a weekend does not work

2) Their is a mint of upgraditis around him, he started with a DAC for less then 150 $ question and has come up tenfold today after 10 days of discussion. In the forum. We tend to give advise to the better options, but - imho- we should more look more often to the basics of setting up the system before driving newbies into buying the BETTER option.

And yes it hasn't be that obvious, and this is not an accusation, but a general observation in audiophile fora. That sounds quite old fashioned, I need to admit 🤔

3) I have advised him to care about some factors, that will enhance his SQ /experience with the system he has (AE5+Yamaha Sub):

- Room (walls , floor)

- Speaker placement, Sub placement, listening position

- deconnect his music source from PC, using an affordable streaming solution (RPi or Allo Usb) as music is on USB hard drive

- affordable DAC like the D50

Imho, if he will have accomplished that, he will have the basics to emphasize on the difference between his existing chain and a future more expensive system.

I told him as well to figure out what he does not like now, and what difference  he wants to archive within his budget. I think that is the most difficult task. (for most of us)

my5c

Cheers, Tom

16 hours ago, ahmed98 said:

I have doubled my budget to $1000 Sir. Can stretch to $1500 for a speaker with built in DAC and Bluetooth just as good as an external DAC. Any suggestions? 

Sorry, I can't make suggestions in that price range. The only speaker I have there is a set of the Audioengines that I use on my computer.

Without listening, any choice is a bit of a gamble. If listening is not possible for you then spend some time working out what you like and dislike about what you have and then read LOTS of reviews to work out what the alternatives offer. You will probably have to do a fair bit of "reading between the lines" to sort the wheat from the chaff.😀

DuckDuckGo is your friend--and good luck.

Yeah, if you can't audition you have to read reviews and ask others and take your chances. The separate DAC will give you more flexibility in choices and in future upgrades, if that is an issue. 

I've also had to buy components sight unseen before and haven't gotten burned. More difficult with speakers. The only thing I can suggest is to find a reviewer or other user who has compared/reviewed stuff you've heard (like Audioengine) and stick with those who seem to have similar tastes to yours. Then what they say has a better chance of steering you in the right direction. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I can recomend the Audioengine HD6 powered speakers.  They have a built in DAC and class A/B amplifier.  They also have pre-outs, which means you can hook up a subwoofer or two.  You can use an external DAC instead of the one built in. 

The HD6 speakers sound good for the price at just $699.  I recommend using IsoAcoustic stands to improve the lower midrange.

I had been using the HD6 speakers for both music and home theater, but now I am using GoldenEar Triton 3+ towers for music.  For home theater, I am still using the HD6 speakers, with two subwoofers, and I am pleased with the sound.