IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

5 hours ago, firedog said:

Priaptor seems to be a consistent member of the first group

He definitely is. Even his Nola speakers have to some degree quite conservative, soft sound ;)

5 hours ago, firedog said:

You can disagree with that POV, but it can't be simply dismissed as lacking in insight or understanding. 

I didn't dismiss it it this regard, I just said, I rather couldn't be surprised by most conservatives, actually not only American ones. These are two different things.

What I dismiss is Priaptor's tendency to see things in a incorrect light and then not replying to comments on that:

On 10/22/2021 at 1:15 AM, sphinxsix said:

@Priaptor There are IMO so many things that are not correct in your above posts that I'm afraid of replying to them in particular since like I said I can't spend so much time here nowadays.

But I'll try. And I'll try to keep it short.

The Netherlands where I've been living for the last 4 years:

-relatively high taxes

-lots of regulations in many fields eg highly regulated housing market

-very developed social system - if you don't make an average 3k euro, you get allowances eg housing allowance (often 50% of the rent and I must add that social housing in big cities often counts for more than 50% of all houses/apartments), health insurance (obligatory in the NL) allowance - up to 80% and in such case you pay for it 20e per month), child allowances etc.

-one of the lowest poverty levels in the world (top 3, I believe)

-one of the highest levels of people's 'happiness' (top 5)

-very high level of medical care (also top 5 in the world)

-in addition pension system no 1 in the world for more than decade (last year Iceland has taken the 1st place in most rankings)

-healthy IMO tendency to legalize things which cannot be actually erased from social life - eg soft drugs, prostitution (no hundreds of thousands 'one joint' prisoners like in some countries, insurance and pension for sex workers as they are called here)

Apologies for some mess in this post but I really have to be in a hurry.

Are you serious? Do you belive in that? 'Normal and competitive'have been working for decades and what we've got.? Free market and capitalism are based on greed - love of money, not love of nature, c'mon..

It was not only America but the whole world and definitely not necessarily after facing tax increases. Even East European companies moved their production to China at some point cause it was simply cheaper.

Let's call things by their names - you've just named 3 biggest polluters in the world.

iea-ghg-emissions-top-emitters.png

Actually as for greenhouse gases emissions per capita, the US is the biggest one before Russia.

per-capita-ghg-emissions2.png

(All charts by International Energy Agency, 2021 

https://www.c2es.org/content/international-emissions/)

Anyway like I already said here earlier countries like Russia, China, Brazil may be a problem.

Hope the opposition and a couple of stubborn Democrats will allow Biden to do something otherwise also US may be a problem, actually due to its meaning and international position and influence I'd say (sorry for that) - the biggest one..

The problem starts when the ones who should pay the highest bills (taxes) pay the smallest ones or none at all.. 

As for being ready for real sacrifice - I agree this may be hard for many but I think this might be exactly what needs to be done. Also in the 1st world 3rd world relation. We are after all rich also in connection with exploiting them, if I may allow myself call things by their name again and here also eg the Netherlands isn't a completely innocent historically country but at least they make lots of things easier now for people from Surinam (I'd still personally prefer Manhattan to be Dutch to Surinam ;-)), Indonesia etc.

Some of them simply have to - I posted the information about the case lost by the Dutch government in which the court had obliged in quite concrete way the government to do more as far as environmental matters are regarded (check out earlier posts). Courts in other countries followed the example. You can Google it..

Let's stick to the facts. Look at the charts above.

Do they in your opinion after all.?

The whole problem is that according to science ALL countries must be pretty SOON CLEAN.

Otherwise we and our kids are screwed..

Not even mentioning fauna..

Even most kids understand that as you probably know. :-)

I think you overestimate the weight of this problem.

I really don't think it's the no 1 problem taking into account how much greenhouse gases are emitted in these countries or G20 in general in the process of their own production, transportation, agricultural etc processes.

iea-ghg-emissions-top-emitters.png

You repeat this so often that this begins to sound to me like some your very personal problem with the People's Rpublic of China.. ;-)

BTW look - their economy, one of the fastest developing ones in the world in recent decades is a highly regulated and planned one.. ;-)

But seriously, I will only repeat once again - IMO we (unfortunately) must do much more than what you suggest and I'm afraid that "dismantling" China's power would not be even close to enough as far as solving the problem WE have is regarded.

I would also rather dismiss posts like this one:

16 hours ago, Priaptor said:

And in other news, my grass stopped growing as deep fall sets in.

And The Band Played On. LMAO. 

That's it.

Meanwhile in Australia...

"The Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, has released the government’s plan to reach net zero emissions by 2050, and announced the country is on track to beat its 2030 target, as he prepares to fly to Glasgow for a United Nations climate summit.

Morrison hailed Tuesday’s plan as a “practical way” to neutralise Australia’s emissions by 2050 but the plan showed almost a third of the abatement task is comprised of cuts via unspecified “technology breakthroughs” and “global trends” while a further 20% will be achieved through offsets."

Australia commits to 2050 net zero emissions plan but with no detail and no modelling

Australia commits to 2050 net zero emissions plan but with no detail and no modelling

I

Looks serious, doesn't it.? B|

3 hours ago, semente said:

Many children have already seen future, one where men have been forced to leave a planet that is no longer able to sustain human life, in a time when the government is run by a giant, "well-intentioned", multinational called Buy & Large and all humans are like bots.

All adults should watch it too.

Great animation, love it!

3 hours ago, semente said:

Meanwhile Disney is lobbying for the softening of environmental protection laws and regulations.

Wow.. will kids forgive them.? I hope not..

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

nothing but left wing extremist views

extremist left wing locations such a The Guardian, NYT,

the response is just another leftist extreme copy and paste article

Try unplugging from your extremist left wing world

Omg Lol GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

You've made my day! I've always wanted to be an extremist of some kind, finally someone regards as one! Thank you! I mean it.

image.jpeg.77546b522c313eb414729dcc4ab7a901.jpeg

Lastly as to Sphinx claiming “my Nolas” being soft, just another petulant example of the all knowing, especially since he never owned a pair of Concert Grands while failing to do some simple research by checking my profile to see that I haven’t had them in 4 years and were replaced with Gobel Aeons..

My bad, my bad, my very, very bad. I practically don't check anyone's profile here, so indeed I didn't know you changed your speakers (remembered you mentioned Nolas in the "Best Speakers.." thread.

I hope you've noticed this emoji ;) after I wrote that IMO Nolas sound soft and conservative (?).

I admit I've never heard Gobels (is it legal in Germany to name a brand like that.? ;);)), I hope they sound less conservative ;););).

Yes the Gobels are nowhere near as efficient and use a lot more energy so I am part of the problem like the rest of us who use energy that many would consider unnecessary.  

I feel ok in this regard, my speaker efficiency is 95db.

;);););)

Thank you once again! 

Cheers!

I think it's high time for some extremist leftist commentary..

Omg Lol GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY 

Beware, those guys also quote only other extremists eg UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a professor of climate science at University College London, Greenpeace and others..

Seriously extremist stuff, you've been warned..

The make-or-break climate summit: here’s what’s at stake at Cop26

Seems that even Fox News discovered (a month ago) that the global warming is caused by humans ;)

"Latest data. shows climate change "unequivocally" caused by people"

Cheers!

48 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Thank you. Your ad hominem posts have become tedious and add nothing to this discussion or forum.

@Priaptor

Since you appeared on this thread I was wondering - what for.?

And I still don't know. 

Unless this was about exposing the audio communist conspiracy that is..

And I still wonder what it's like to care about the environment and the global warming so much and at the same time vote for someone like Trump.?

That's it from me.

1 hour ago, PYP said:

These videos are fun and pretty hard hitting.  Great when they show some of the other governments doing the same poop.  

Yeah, Honest Government is my kind of government x-D

They're obviously not extreme enough for an extremist like me but I have an impression they're moving in the right direction..;)

Some more 'copy and paste' (I'm still only warming up..x-D)

"More than two decades ago, Patti Smith and a group of other artists were sitting with the Dalai Lama when the late Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys asked the Tibetan spiritual leader a question: what’s the number-one thing that young people can do to make a better world? Without missing a beat, the Dalai Lama replied: “Look after the environment.”

“I thought it was so beautiful,” Smith says in her trademark New York drawl. “That was his number-one preoccupation. Not to free Tibet, but to take in hand a global concern that was going to affect us all, on a scale we haven’t seen before.”

‘We have to fight for what is right’: Patti Smith on gender, Sally Rooney and Cop26

5 hours ago, PYP said:

That is the focus of a two-week U.N. conference in Glasgow that began yesterday, including President Biden and other world leaders.

That's exactly where the eyes of cut-n-paste, uber-liberal and extremely extremist comrades are directed these days..

Probably the most important thing that happened today was Modi's pledge that India will reach zero net till 2070 and some shorter terms promises made by him.

Guardian's comment:

"India was one of the last remaining major economies that had held out on a net zero commitment, despite months of pressure from the US, and Modi’s announcement marked one of the most significant moments of the summit’s opening day.

Modi also made significant shorter-term commitments, promising to have 50% of India’s power generated by renewable energy by 2030, increase its non-fossil energy capacity to 500GW by 2030 and reduce its projected carbon emissions by 1bn tonnes between now and 2030. By 2030, he also committed to a 45% reduction in the carbon intensity of the economy.

While the 2070 net zero target falls behind the 2050 commitment made by the US and Europe and the 2060 commitment made by China and Saudi Arabia, it is in line with what many climate experts have modelled as the most feasible scenario for India to achieve net zero."

32 minutes ago, PYP said:

another cut-n-paste for the Hammer and Sickle crowd:

Is Carbon Capture Here?

A Swiss company is operating a device in Iceland that sucks CO2 from the air and shoots it into the ground, where it turns into rock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/31/climate/is-carbon-capture-here.html?referringSource=articleShare

Yes they do it Iceland. Practically 100% of Iceland's and Norway's electricity comes from renewable sources. 

BTW Albania has practically zero net emissions (the reasons of that are of course slightly different). 

I can't be proud of the NL in this regard, despite of closing of a number of coal plants after the Hague court historical verdict, it's far from these countries..

Oh, forgot it's supposed to be copy and paste, forgive me guys.

10 minutes ago, semente said:

Ya friggin' commies 🤬

One of the reasons I stopped my brief cooperation with young people from the local XR - most of them had been fed up with news how well Scandinavian and Icelandic social democracies were doing in this field. Uber-uber-extremists! 😎

Another problem was they were extremely (!) concentrated on the slogan "Shell must fall" at the same time flying to their home countries quite often and not having problem with the obvious fact that in this way they fuel (!) both Shell's profit and emissions. I OTOH was only ready to accept the softer "Shell must gradually fall" version (I still need my non-electric car every now and then) and they couldn't accept that.. ;)

It seems that soon we may be flying hydrogen aircrafts though.

Hydrogen aircraft to fly between Rotterdam and London by 2024

Hydrogen-powered Zeroavia aircraft sits in a hanger