IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

• 3 months later...

You really don't want to give this young woman the benefit of the doubt do you, esldud? You really think there's some kind of conspiracy here, and that she is a 'pawn.' Nice way to deny her power as an individual. She is terrified, as we all should be, and instead of waiting around for the adults to do something, has vocalized the panic most kids feel these days.

Obviously NOT panicking hasn't done shit, so it is time to panic and instill fear. It's human to put off difficult duties, but the time has come to put politics and machismo aside and start doing something. You know it's not the planet that's going to die - it's been here billions of years and will be here at least another billion, even if it's just a hard cold rock with some bacteria. No, it's humans that are going to die in the end. As DJT would say, 'A great beautiful death, or at least I heard from somebody it will be. But what do I know? Might be death, might be life." 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Yep. 

70992861_10211672294161658_380998963915915264_n.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

20 minutes ago, esldude said:

EDIT: oh yeah, not panicking hasn't worked so let us panic.  Or maybe not ignoring it hasn't worked so less ignore it.  Or maybe not starving off people so there is less energy needed hasn't worked so less starve off a few billion to save everyone else.  I'd hope you had the logical capabilities of a 16 year old, but it looks like you are more around an 8 year old.  

You used panic so I ran with it; how about grave concern instead? No, panic doesn’t work in here and now, life and death situations, but ‘panic’ for abstract things like this can work as a wake up call.  Look at the freaking weather - you may not be panicking but there sure are a lot of people that are, esp in the Caribbean and Gulf states. And most of them are adults. Perhaps they should just take a more measured approach - maybe pitching a few rolls of paper towels at them will Make Everything Great Again. 

And I’d rather be an illogical eight year old than a grown man who’s so full of themselves they feel the need to take down a sixteen year old girl from Sweden on a mission to try and save us from ourselves. 

5 hours ago, esldude said:

She may not live to be 30 as she is so fearful and panicked daily.  Nothing to do with climate change.  

I'd place a sizable wager that the world population will be larger in 14 years (when Greta is 30) than it is now.  Care to put up?  

This is the most ridiculous thing you've written yet. Daily? If I was on the world stage I would act how I want the world to hear my message. So she should just be a polite girl and not talk except when spoken to, and never on difficult subjects? Go back to the Victorian Age please (or are you just stuck in the 1950's?). And you don't know anything about her except from her few weeks of media appearances. Anyone that can pilot a boat across the Atlantic on their own isn't just wallowing in depression and self pity.

And she totally owned Trump on Twitter (replacing his backhanded insult as her bio), proving that she has a thick skin and a sense of humor, neither of which our current President has. Lets not even begin about the ability to take the higher road....

Consuming smarter would be a step in the right direction. Unfortunately plastic is here to stay as the US ramps up even more factories (jobs!) so investment in plastic disposal and recycling such as Germany and Japan have would be a small start. Recycling could be huge, but the way it's currently implemented isn't working. It needs to be streamlined from the actual packaging through to the consumer and then return. Electric vehicles, roll back clean air regulations that have been rolled back, initiatives to localize our food sources as much as possible, solar, nuclear, and the list goes on.

But the adults need to act like adults. It is sad that it takes a child to scold the world. We have not been good parents. 

2 hours ago, mansr said:

She certainly isn't paying for those stunts out of her weekly allowance. Her parents aren't that rich, even if they are minor celebrities in Sweden.

They probably don't have $10k speakers at home either... everybody has different priorities in life. But to you triggered types everything is a George Soros conspiracy...

53 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I mostly agree with Ms. Thunberg. But I don't like her attitude; it's confrontional and not helpful. Angry people don't impress me.  YMMV. 

Yes, perhaps she should have taken some charm lessons from the President's daughter, parted her hair down the middle and used lots of expensive make up, wore some designer dresses, and flirted and pouted while twirling her luxurious blonde locks. Look how that's worked out....

It's a new era - get used to it.