IGNORED

Sonore Linear Power Supply

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

(I see Jesus deleted all you giant photos in your off-topic post about heat measured with a glass meat thermometer. :S)

@vortecjr‘s point about advising against a VBUS injector after the opticalRendu is because the 5VBUS out of their new piece is very good. You would have to replace that with an LT3045 DIY board to equal.

I am sorry that it has turned out that the opticalRendu by itself requires a full 1A of current—at least during boot, it drops much lower afterwards—and that means that DACs drawing much VBUS current put the combo over the ampacity of the UltraCap units you already own.  But that’s where it stands.

I didn't delete his posts..I just moved them into the Rendu support thread as he requested. 

You might need two DIY boards to match the VBUS output on the opticalRendu:) You really don't want to connect anything after the Rendu except your DAC or digital converter.

39 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Good to know, I hadn’t heard that before. I’d planned on powering them both from my HD-Plex but it sounds like I need a new plan. 

It can be done with one power supply, but you have to double up on everything making it expensive. I would concentrate on using your best power supply on the opticalRendu and working backwards from there as your budget permits.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Will the rear jack on the back of the new ps be a GX-16-2, XLR or 2.1DC or other? 

For my LPS-1 to microRendu I ended up with a very short, almost hardwired connection - Oyaide dc plug with Neotech 12g solid core OCC, just separated by air, with about 4" from the LPS to an LT3045, then two inches after that into the microRendu on the shelf below it (sticking out from the rear of the DAC V1). Super DIY looking (though not visible from the room) but makes for a big sound. 

The output port is a nice 2.1 mm single pin connector. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

Shipping cost to Norway is $153. 

Can’t something be done to reduce that cost ?

Even the optcalModule is $57 in freight. 

7778E559-7E40-46B0-9637-F89F0746DF90.jpeg

The cost is based on your location, the carrier used, and the weight of the item. The location and weight can't be helped. There are less expensive services, but no one wants there unit sitting in customs warehouse for weeks waiting for clearance. International Tax and VAT are charged by your country and we have nothing to do with it.   

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Well, for Norway this isn’t a problem. I can’t speak for other countries.

(I remember Alex did a post about this once. And he had a lot of challenges).  There are traps, and some special requirements is some countries yes. But EU should be simple). 

We get a notice on local post like any parcel, and jut pick it up. (And pay the 25% tax added plus a handling fee). 

I think as long as forms needed for international shipments is filled out, there shouldn’t be any problem. At most customs.

I’m sure those affected know about possible problems, and request DHL, as offered as one option during check out. 

I can’t see how a less expensive service should impact customs etc. at least not in Europe. 

Maybe Alex will share with you how and at what cost the JS-2 ships ?

Anyway. Would be nice if you could look into this. Like the small opticalModule must be possible to ship for far less than $57. 

I think Uptone struggle to pay more than $36 on a comparable shipment.  

I don’t mind if it takes two weeks. 

Actually I just bought a simple wire from France €10 + same in shipping. Shipping took close to 3 weeks. Probably because it was shipped as a parcel and not a letter.

And I remember I almost lost my MicroRendu in the US post at the time I did the 1.4 upgrade, but it showed up finally. And shipping was much less expensive than DHL. Still with tracking. (Norwegian post). 

You should also be able to get better prices due to some volume. And you can investigate to do that deal together with SGC and maybe even get better price. Just a suggestion . 

This is just a friendly request Jesus. 

(As for myself and other Scandinavians we have https://www.jetcarrier.com/ as an option in wost case). 

I have no issues sending it to a US based freight forwarder. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Sitting here listening to the very good recording of Thelonious Monk Live at the Jazz Workshop with probably about 100 hours now on the UltraSupply. All I can say, is that the mythical disappearing HiFi has finally arrived (disappeared?) in my living room. Nothing short of wonderful. Complete chain in signature. 

And to think some people wait up to a year  or more for our competitions power supply:) Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, Kevin Nguyen said:

tempted to get the PSU after reading the good feedback, but found out the shipping cost to Sydney is US$198.56 which is 1/3 off the unit price. I gave up idea to get it to AU  now.

A comparable option  is to buy a Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 5-6V MK II Power Supply Upgrade  https://www.audiodestination.co.uk with 20% off  GST deduction (from UK  to outside EU) with only £40.00 postage

If you see an expensive quote like that you can email us and we will look into it. 

13 hours ago, Matias said:

You should add this power supply to the recommended list of the rendus, also on the products page under power supplies it is not mentioned, and also on the add drop down list along with the SGC ones in opticalRendu.

BTW I plan to purchase mine soon to power my current ultraRendu, and keep it for my future opticalRendu. :)

Remember these are hand built to order and we are trying to pace the demand. SGC is not selling them yet, but they can order them for customers if needed. 

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, MikePid said:

I'm blaming the posters on this forum for convincing me to buy the new Sonore LPS with the works (Blue fuse and DC-4) 🤑.  I chose this over the well-regarded UpTone LPS-1.2 because I wanted the extra current for my ultraRendu to power the 5VBUS on my ifi micro iDSD BL, which also drives my power-hungry HD800.  I upgraded from the very capable SGC LPS.

I've had the unit powered up for 10 days now. It really needs to burn in because it sounded awful when I unpacked it fresh off the delivery truck (yeah, I couldn't wait).  It was harsh - not sure if it was the cable, fuse, power supply or all combined.  But it has settled in nicely now and it's a keeper.

The best way to describe the difference is that it makes the old LPS sound compressed, like going back to MP3.  I thought the old set up sounded fantastic before, but I guess I didn't know what I was missing.  Such are the perils of audiophilia. The new sound is more natural and musical.  Even though there is more definition to the sound, it is easier to listen to.  The soundstage is much more open.  And the bass - wow - deep and more body.  Highs are clearer.  The vocals are more life-like.  And it runs much cooler than the SGC LPS.

A year ago I had no idea was NAA was.  I just wanted to not have my DAC tethered to my MacBook and to get around the DoP limitation. Now I'm a believer.  Although I still can't believe I spent almost as much on the power supply kit as the ultraRendu.  How much for a fuse? 🤣

A very worthwhile upgrade!

I appreciate your feedback...enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, MikePid said:

OMG.  This power supply continues to amaze me by showing what the ultraRendu is really capable of!  This is one of those upgrades that results in rediscovering my music again.  I am hopping all over my music library and really enjoying the subtleties that I had not heard before.  The vocals are so lifelike too.  I find myself stopping what I’m doing often to just listen because the sound is so captivating. 😄

The power supply and the Rendu are directly coupled to your DAC via copper. People are spending so much time and effort on highly questionable tweaks and not paying enough attention to the obvious. Enjoy!   

Just now, OldBigEars said:

I have a CI Audio 7v power supply - which was a massive improvement over the iPower I originally used with my microRendu 1.4.   I think it's really good, but of course have no way of comparing it with the Sonore PS.  My question is...would replacing the CI Audio with this PS make a more substantial difference than say upgrading my Rendu to Ultra or Optical?

I know it's common around these here parts to use words like massive and substantial when describing improvements, but "homey don't play that". The iFi iPower Supply it is an inexpensive SMPS. I use them here for casual listening and recommend them to people because they work on just about any power outlet in the world. I recommend that people use the best power supply they can afford because they make things subjectively and objectively better. The CI Audio 7v power supply is very good so no worries there.    

49 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I understand there's much hyperbole, and we all have different calibration levels, in this hobby.  I'll just say that...relative to all the other tweaks and investments I've made to my system over the years, adding a better power supply to my mR was one of the clearest and um 'most significant' (sorry) that  I can recall.  I really couldn't appreciate a great benefit from my mR until I did that.

I agree with you because we can show this subjectively and objectively.

• vortecjr changed the title to Sonore Linear Power Supply
  • vortecjr unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...