IGNORED

Annoying Yiggy Issue

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

... I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!

Glad you've finally seen the light.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

When I first tried the Yiggy, it was the best bang for the buck. I never considered it the best DAC in the world.

Really?

On 4/11/2017 at 11:10 PM, gmgraves said:

It is the best DAC I've ever had in my system and certainly the best I've ever heard. And while I've never had a dCS Vivaldi in my system, I was able to compare the Yggy directly with an MSB Diamond V with the Femto 33 clock unit, and the Yggy sounded very similar...

And...

On 4/17/2017 at 3:08 AM, gmgraves said:

What kind of distortion lets the listener hear, for the first time, details in recordings that one has been listening to for many years (first as an LP and then as a CD) and have never heard before? I have two choral works  (so far) in my collection that no DAC except the Yggy has ever been able to play with so little distortion that I can now understand the lyrics they are singing.That includes The MSB Diamond V, the Benchmark DAC2, Auralic Vega, DragonFly Red, and many others over the years. If that's what distortion sounds like, then I'm all for it!

But now...

On 5/27/2019 at 6:45 AM, gmgraves said:

My main problem, at the moment, with the Yiggy, is that after I heard one of my own orchestral recordings (Ravel’s “Daphnis et Chloe”, the complete ballet) played through a Chord Hugo 2, I no longer consider the Yiggy as anything better than a 2nd rate DAC!

Yep, sounds like you've seen the light to me.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Measurements would support someone who has purely mechanical approach to things or life itself vs. ability of grasp life organically, beyond all measurements. Do you select your wine because your choice supported by measurements? Do you like your day because weather measures perfect? 

You know nothing about me, so just stick to the topic at hand.

I had the Yggy (pre Gen 5 USB) here for an extended period of time and it sounded flawed to me - pretty awful actually. I looked into its measurements and found them wanting. I shared my thoughts here and the Schiit fanboys blew their fuses. At least two were banned... returned under new names... and were banned again. One of them has been banned at least three times, under different names. Says pretty much all you need to know about Schiit fanboys.

If you're happy with your Gungnir Multibit, that's great. I've never heard one, so can't/won't comment on it.

Mani.

8 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I was not addressing you personally, hope you able to grasp this. But wait, it is not measurable, sorry...

Hang on. You quoted me:

3 hours ago, manisandher said:

[...]

When I pointed out the flaws in the Yggy's sound (backed up with measurements) [...]

Then you wrote this immediately after:

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

... Do you select your wine because your choice supported by measurements? Do you like your day because weather measures perfect? 

But you weren't addressing me? Perhaps you should improve your writing skills? Can you grasp that?

Mani.

9 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Always when that eggy comes about, things get steaming hot. :/

The whole Schiit Yggrasil ('Eggy' 😉) story is just a rehash of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'... with Moffat and Stoddard the two weavers.

But it's come to those ranting and raving about it only 2 years ago now calling it a 2nd-rate DAC at best... which it always was.

Mani.

Good summary Peter.

It's true, I hold a bit of "I told you so" wrt this topic. The red/blue pill thread too. But at the end of the day, it's all pretty harmless really.

You're right, it's off-topic, so enough 'venting' from me.

Mani.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I don’t regard it in that way. There’s no “light” to see. I’ve simply found a better DAC as was bound to happen eventually - to any audiophile.

I've had the same DAC for nearly 10 years, admittedly with a number of upgrades along the way. It's outperformed every other DAC I've put it up against during this time, including my beloved Pacific Microsonics Model Two.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I’m aware of it, but I don’t use HQPlayer because it needs USB. I don’t like USB for a number of reasons, so, I don’t use it.

HQPlayer doesn't need USB. If you have an spdif output from your audio PC and your DAC has an spdif input, that'll work fine - I've used this many times. But of course, if your only option is to use USB, then yes, that's all that HQPlayer can use.

Mani.