IGNORED

Big Apple Change?

Jud

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

I've been reading such rumors for a while now.  My first question would be how will this effect Intel based Macs.  Will they work with the new all for one scheme?  Will they have to run things as VMs in the Mac OS for that to happen?

Apple have switched CPU architecture in the Mac before: from 68k to PPC, then to x86. 

On both occasions, they relied on software emulation to smooth the transition. That was helped by the new CPU family being significantly faster than the outgoing one, so the speed penalty wasn't notable when compared to the old hardware. Switching from x86 to ARM, this advantage will not be available. On the other hand, emulation technology has improved, drawing on JIT compilation as used by Java and other modern languages. Furthermore, software upgrade cycles are much shorter than they used to be, so most applications should get a native build fairly quickly.

Regarding existing x86 based Mac hardware, if history is any indication, they would continue to receive OS updates for a few years. Third-party software would also likely be available for both CPU types during this time.

If they are determined to make the switch, I have no doubt Apple would be able to pull it off. Worst case, they'd just bludgeon the users into submission.

20 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Not sure how powerful a processor like the ARMs can get.

That's entirely up to the microarchitecture designer. There is nothing inherently limiting in the instruction set. If anything, it should be easier to make fast ARM than an x86.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Let's see what appears... So far, fastest ARM I have where I can freely run something is 64-bit NXP's i.MX8M (quad-core) and it barely reaches lowest end of Intel quad-core Atom's. Extremely far from what bigger Intel/AMD CPUs can do. But otherwise it is quite nice piece of hardware in it's own class.

That's a mobile/embedded chip. Things like Cavium's ThunderX2 are in a different class. Apple has a strong CPU design team (formerly PA Semi) that surely can come up with something adequate. It doesn't need to compete with the top Intel/AMD offering for use in a laptop.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

If the general idea is to be able to develop one app across all products, I wonder whether Apple intends to stop at laptops.

It's my impression that the more powerful desktop machines have for some time been something of an after-thought for Apple, to the extent they've made any at all. Unless I'm mistaken, the latest Mac Pro is the 2013 "dustbin" model.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

The flip side is that the reduced burden for Apple corresponds to an increased burden, however slight, for anyone whose base development platform is x86.

Apple has never been known to care about others. For example, developers have to pay them money for the privilege of producing software for their system. Then they take a 30% cut of the sales as well. If that doesn't put people off Apple, I don't think a mostly invisible compiler change will either. Remember, modern desktop software is not nearly as system specific as once was the case. Most such dependencies have already been removed as a result of the shift to 64-bit architectures.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

It will also make Apple slightly less attractive to people who are looking at Apple computers but need to run Windows to use specific programs for work, for example. Running Windows under emulation will almost certainly be a bit less snappy than running it natively.

That's a valid point. On the other hand, it would strengthen Apple's platform lock-in. As I said, Apple does not care about others. Incidentally, Windows can run on ARM, but most applications probably do not, so this isn't particularly helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Paul R said:

Let’s see, Apple supported 68k Macs from 1982 to 2008 or so, and Intel Macs from what? 2005 to sometime we’ll past 2020?

That’s hardly a terrible track record. 

The 68k was replaced with PowerPC starting 1994. The last PPC based Mac was discontinued in 2006.