IGNORED

Archimago and the TLS DS-1

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Pseudo science and bad science are easy to refute. Please provide your scientific evidence that contradicts Archimago's results.

And that refutation comes quite frequently from folks who are conducting better tests. The fact that Archimago uses cheap software tools and conducts no tests on high performance "high-end" equipment; then draws conclusions about that equipment is contradiction enough. There doesn't need to be ANY counter evidence produced, when criticizing the testing METHODOLOGY, - which is of course, - conducting tests on low-fi equipment, - and making the false conclusion that those tests apply to ALL equipment.

15 minutes ago, firedog said:

Context is everything. You are looking at the one blog post and missing the context. He wrote an opinion piece based on years of extensive testing of a lot of these specific issues. The device in question is just another device - there's nothing magic about it. So he has a basis for his opinions/doubts that some audio magic is going on. Basically, instead of subjective impressions, he's saying a) show me a measurement backing up what you subjectively hear; or b) explain (not just speculate) on what is happening that could cause the differences you are hearing. Vague descriptions of noise and phase without anything behind them mean nothing.

Hi,

Yes, - and this is why any "objective" testing is going to not be representative. It's why the review magazines always have as the main part of their review subjective testing, - (Not enough comparisons though), - as there are no adequate objective tests, (or body of tests), that in any way represent what one is hearing...

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

His equipment isn't junk and is perfectly adequate for proper testing. Your post is the psuedo science and refutes nothing. He doesn't say his testing applies to ALL equipment. He shows that many scenarios that audiophiles trot out as making a significant difference appear to do nothing of the sort when objectively evaluated.

Whenever he concludes through bad tests that different digital file players do not sound different, - he's making a statement about the performance of ALL digital file players.....

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

His equipment isn't junk and is perfectly adequate for proper testing. Your post is the psuedo science and refutes nothing. He doesn't say his testing applies to ALL equipment. He shows that many scenarios that audiophiles trot out as making a significant difference appear to do nothing of the sort when objectively evaluated.

I am not conducting any testing when I am criticizing Archimago's poor testing methodologies. I know that I am not "refuting" anything.

""trot out as making a significant difference appear to do nothing of the sort when objectively evaluated.""   (I also dispute that Archimago does any objective evaluations).

That is not true, - actually patently false. It is ABJECTLY impossible to predict how an objectively evaluated component will sound with 6 others, in a room, without actually being there. For example, A Meitner DAC would make a significant difference to a $350 Sony in a system with commensurate components and make NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever when plugged into the auxillary input of a Sharp boombox.

Archimago's tests are equivalent to plugging Meitner's into boomboxes.... the essence of bad science.

44 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

No, that facepalm meme was a reaction to you simultaneously claiming a scientific foundation for your argument while offering nothing actually scientific.  But shame on me for engaging you in the first place.

Did not claim a scientific foundation, - a reasoned critique of bad science does not make it a scientific investigation of (an alleged) scientific investigation....

And... it is possible to conduct a good scientific investigation into subjective phenomenon by engaging in good and thorough scientific methodologies. To conduct NO thorough comparative (subjective) tests while drawing subjective conclusions, -- will lead any investigator to point out that the investigations are indeed poor and conclusions will be drawn on the basis of insufficient evidence.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Say you measure the output of a DAC when 2 different devices are attached to it over USB: a) a high powered PC running many processes that according to audiophiles is electrically noisy and an inadequate source; b) a purpose made ethernet to USB streamer that is supposedly running few processes and is elecrically quiet.

Results: close to identical measurements of jitter, nose, distortion, and dynamic range. Blind listening fails to show an ability to tell the devices apart in playback.

That's essentially the kind of stuff Archi does. How is that non-objective and illegitimate?

Sorry,

What I wrote was poorly said. What I should've wrote was even his objective evaluations are cursory and poor in the context of a lack of a number of testing samples.

"Blind listening fails to show an ability to tell the devices apart in playback."

Yes, - they are out of context by design.

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

@The Computer Audiophile, don't you think Albrecht's attacks on Archimago have gone far enough? Three pages of accusations as relentless as they are baseless is more than anyone should have to endure.

Since when are criticisms of someone's (poor) published scientific investigations constitute a baseless attack? Especially when you do the same to published reviews and reviewers in say Audiostream for example.

Pot meet Kettle.

If reading a well reasoned opposing viewpoint offends you so much, - you can block my posts. And, - likely, - (as a self proclaimed troll), - that sounds like a wise course, - since my content is just so much for you to "endure."

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I only see a single statement that is out of bounds. The rest are assertions about his tests, not him as a person. I'd say "attacks on Archimago" is a mischaracterization of what's happening here.

While you aren't the pot calling the kettle black, you're pretty close. You've dished out plenty of criticisms that fall inline with what's going on here. 

Can't people just let others communicate without incessantly attempting to prove something or right some wrong they believe has been committed?  Can't people say their piece and get on with life? File your disagreement, state your facts, and call it a day.

@Albrecht You statement above is over the line and addresses @Archimago personally. Please stick with addressing his work, not him.

Hi, @TheComputerAudiophile

You are understood, and you are correct. I will stick to his work.

Thanks