IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Hello,

New firmware 1.8.2

What's change?

Anyone has tested?

installed. no issues

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

They added only possibility to adjust the output level for XLR,

Hmm, I updated to 1.8.2 and I don't see any changes in the menu of the Mytek. What do mean with "output level for XLR"? Please, could you explain? Thanks.

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya

Hmm, I updated to 1.8.2 and I don't see any changes in the menu of the Mytek. What do mean with "output level for XLR"? Please, could you explain? Thanks.

not quite, I got this info from my local distributor, .. adjust the output level of signal strength

with bypass mode, probably like for headphone output,

How about this modifications:

"..Change the simple oscillator circuit that is used for the ESS 9016 Sabre DAC with our Ultima FEMTO low jitter clock then replaced the critical components to better specifications and higher grade parts. The analog output circuit is also modified for better sonic. Use our Ultima low noise voltage regulators to power the opamp stages. Removed internal transformer and replaced by our External Balanced Power Supply. There will be two DC power cables from the external power supply to the Mytek DAC. Neutrik’s speakON and powerCON connectors, which are true low impedance and high current connectors will be used.."

Mytek DAC Modification – Sound Affairs

"..Change the simple oscillator circuit that is used for the ESS 9016 Sabre DAC with our Ultima FEMTO low jitter clock then replaced the critical components to better specifications and higher grade parts. The analog output circuit is also modified for better sonic. Use our Ultima low noise voltage regulators to power the opamp stages. Removed internal transformer and replaced by our External Balanced Power Supply. There will be two DC power cables from the external power supply to the Mytek DAC. Neutrik’s speakON and powerCON connectors, which are true low impedance and high current connectors will be used.."

And does anyone know if after all that it actually sounds better?

For that price, you'd probably be better off selling the Myek and spending money on a new, better DAC, or even trading up to a Manhattan.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Firedog, since owning the Mytek 192, could you share a little on its preamp and headphone amp performance? AFAIK its pure DAC performance is pretty good but some find those other capabilities 'a bit lacking'. Would the Mytek be good as a preamp in active speakers scenario? What about the analogue inputs, would they serve well for an analogue tuner or a turntable (phono preamp of course)? Lastly, what do you think of the headphone output? I came across somewhat different opinions and the output impedance seems unclear too. Some find the headphone out pretty satisfying, some aren't particularly happy. I'm trying to figure out is the Mytek (2011) still a good value and is this unit significantly outclassed by similar DACs like Benchmark or Grace (the current ones). Anybody's thoughts are welcomed! Thanks

Firedog, since owning the Mytek 192, could you share a little on its preamp and headphone amp performance? AFAIK its pure DAC performance is pretty good but some find those other capabilities 'a bit lacking'. Would the Mytek be good as a preamp in active speakers scenario? What about the analogue inputs, would they serve well for an analogue tuner or a turntable (phono preamp of course)? Lastly, what do you think of the headphone output? I came across somewhat different opinions and the output impedance seems unclear too. Some find the headphone out pretty satisfying, some aren't particularly happy. I'm trying to figure out is the Mytek (2011) still a good value and is this unit significantly outclassed by similar DACs like Benchmark or Grace (the current ones). Anybody's thoughts are welcomed! Thanks

I don't use the headphone output much, so won't comment.

The preamp section and analog input are good quality, and are nice and quiet. I would call it "audiophile" level, but it can be bettered by a very good preamp or a highly transparent passive volume control. It won't be bettered by standalone preamps below the $800-$1200 range, from what I've compared.

The actual volume control is a very good one, with 1db steps, and gives a lot of precise control over the volume.

I have no idea how it compares to those newer DACs.

I'm trying to figure out is the Mytek (2011) still a good value and is this unit significantly outclassed by similar DACs like Benchmark or Grace (the current ones). Anybody's thoughts are welcomed! Thanks

Yes the Mytek Stereo 192DSD is still a good value. And you'll find it on sale these days at several outlets. Mytek has it in their web store for $1,495 - $200 off the list price.

Home page

OK, thanks for your replies. If I may add a couple of questions. There's a youtube video of Mytek not switching to DSD fast enough (switching between PCM and DSD) supposedly missing the first seconds of a track. And in this thread there's been a report of 'Mytek responding very slow/sluggish to volume&menu changes after being switched on for more then 48 hours?'. Any of these issues? Or maybe they've been already resolved with firmware updates?

OK, thanks for your replies. If I may add a couple of questions. There's a youtube video of Mytek not switching to DSD fast enough (switching between PCM and DSD) supposedly missing the first seconds of a track. And in this thread there's been a report of 'Mytek responding very slow/sluggish to volume&menu changes after being switched on for more then 48 hours?'. Any of these issues? Or maybe they've been already resolved with firmware updates?

Never had either problem even with earlier firmwares.

Such a modified Mytek is presently being auctioned off on ricardo.ch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CAPS Zuma using a TI PCI-E Firewire card into the Mytek DAC. It worked fine with Windows 8.1. I recently installed Windows 10 with latest builds. I had a lot of pops and clicks in playback and so I tried rebooting and the Zuma no longer sees the Mytek. Is anyone else having an issue using Windows 10 with a Firewire 1394 card? Thanks.

So, is it true that DSD128 is not supported by firewire ?

I just received this contrary info from my local service

It is supported and has been working just fine for me... All player applications may not support it though, it requires support for a less frequently used option in the DoP 1.1 spec.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

So, is it true that DSD128 is not supported by firewire ?

I just received this contrary info from my local service

I have been playing DSD128 files (up sampled PCM by HQ Player for months) on my Mytek DSD 192 and only have a FW connection to it from my Mac Mini. Need switches for DoP and 2wire (instruction to use multiple channels of FW capacity) on.

Makes all my 2,300+ PCM ripped files sound like hi rez ones. Would love to hear them up sampled at DSD256...but neither my current 2 core Mac nor the DSD192 can handle that...supposedly, the Mytek Manhattan can, but I think through USB only.

Tone with Soul

• 3 weeks later...