IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

I have Mytek works find with my old MacMini, playing DSD fine using Audirvana 1/2 years ago. I remember it was fine no any issue.

Later, my Mac Mini was dead, so I stop using any PC and move on to Sony Z1ES to play DSD files.

Recently, I have this streaming bug again, and would like to try JRiver so I can streaming SACD ISO from NAS. I know use Macbook Pro new model, which is more powerful than my older Mac Mini.

To my surprise, Mytek DAC made lots of audio dropouts now...upgraded firmware to 1.8.3, instead of JRiver, I tried Audirvana too which worked well, also got lots of dropout. I have no idea what's going on, new OS is the problem? Or the DAC is going to die?

Any one got any tricks to try? Thanks a lot.

Not personally using Mac but in the course of my travels came across this article...

MacBook USB Port Inequality - DJ TechTools

May be relevant to problem you and others including my friends are having?!

Well, I just tried Windows, no dropout at all. So the problem is definitely new Macbook, or the os or the driver.

I have no way to use El Captain, on 10.11.4, USB driver will not install, it says not supported, if I force install, it failed at the end of installation. So I have to use Yosemite. Maybe get a thunderbolt/firewire adaptor...

Maybe get a thunderbolt/firewire adaptor...

This works for me (with El Capitan).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi try upgrading your mac's ram as close to the most possible. Also try to drive your 192 through the Firewire port. The 192's USB2 receiver is an older implementation and latency issues become apparent in ultra high resolutions. Also look here https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Computer_Software_Setup_Guide_v2.0.pdf in case there is a detail missed with your setup. Also note that l Capitan is still not compatible with the 192's USB2 async drivers an issue to be resolved sometime in the future.

Is anybody able to get Mytek 192 dsd dac to work with usb & El Capitan?

Mytek displays a 192 signal, but neither A+ or HQPlayer will play the loaded files.

/& on A+ brings up a message - 'Audio device does not support Direct Mode.' But unselecting it doesn't help.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

My understanding is that the Mytek usb driver for Mac is not compatible with El Capitan.

I recently emailed Mytek asking when their "as soon as possible" fix of this issue was coming. Answer was there none!

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

From Mytek support page:

* OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) issue: Our tests show that USB2 driver is not compatible with the new Apple system. Updating to El Capitan is not recommended. We are working to fix it as soon as possible. In the meantime please use FW / Thunderbolt driver.

I have Manhattan and encountered same situation. Wait for them to fix since El Capitan Launched. No luck.

Yup the issue with these dacs is that the driver software support is not entirely Mytek's responsibility since the chip implementation comes from Rigisystems and Mytek gets the customized drivers for these dacs from them.

Driver support at least for OS X for the 192 has always been prone to great patience so It is no news that It takes ages for them to appear. Also add that this receiver is rather old for computer standards since it was implemented around 2011 so It's firmware support might not be among Rigisystem's priorities..

Luckily there is the firewire port available so the dac is not rendered useless in the meantime.

This situation is one of the reasons i have upgraded to the Brooklyn.

Driverless OS X support (among others like OTG) is a great asset as well as native driver support from Mytek but It was far too advanced a concept in 2011..

Yes, I it looks as though we've got to the stage where the 192 dac will be stranded o/s-wise. And, they are still marketing them new, albeit at a reduced price.

Yes, time to get serious about a new dac then - having progressively invested in usb upgrades: regen + psu, 2x curious link, ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Driverless OS X support (among others like OTG) is a great asset as well as native driver support from Mytek but It was far too advanced a concept in 2011..

The Manhattan is marketed as their "flagship" product, so that having no USB compatibility with new Macs is not impressive.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

Yes, I it looks as though we've got to the stage where the 192 dac will be stranded o/s-wise. And, they are still marketing them new, albeit at a reduced price.

Yes, time to get serious about a new dac then - having progressively invested in usb upgrades: regen + psu, 2x curious link, ...

If you gather the cost of all those tweaks you'll realize that you'd be better off with a dac upgrade.. When you get to the point of spending significantly to change what you have the time i believe has matured to just move on..

The Manhattan is marketed as their "flagship" product, so that having no USB compatibility with new Macs is not impressive.

Despite sounding great the manhattan was basically always a very upgraded 192. I have listened to it and was impressed but was always put off by the use of the same digital input implementations.. The Brooklyn on the other hand is a different story altogether not as Impressive at least with it's internal PSU but a totally different - better user experience than the 192 plus the significant sound upgrade..

I am not saying that the 192 is a bad dac. At the price offered it still remains sonically competitive even compared to more expensive competitors but at the reduced price some inconvenience issues have to be met with some understanding..

Before the price reduction just a few weeks ago the used ones offered were "disappearing" with lightning speed at about the price now offered new..

They are marketing them as new to clear out the inventory. Nothing wrong with that. They aren't in production any more, from what they said previously.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If they were really smart, they'd put out a Manhattan V2 with the newer USB interface.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

If they were really smart, they'd put out a Manhattan V2 with the newer USB interface.

I believe they will and that there will also be a "motherboard" upgrade at a cost for those who are interested. I wiuld be rather imoressed and curious If It could be upgraded only through firmware updates.

"Fortunately", firewire does work, after invested into an Apple thunderbolt to firewire 800 adaptor, and 9p->6p firewire cable, almost $100, it's "flawless" again on El Captain...

Lesson learned again, after Antelope false statement of upgrading to DSD, and then this USB driver crap...

Wonder what next DAC to look at.

"Fortunately", firewire does work, after invested into an Apple thunderbolt to firewire 800 adaptor, and 9p->6p firewire cable, almost $100, it's "flawless" again on El Captain...

Lesson learned again, after Antelope false statement of upgrading to DSD, and then this USB driver crap...

Wonder what next DAC to look at.

One that needs the least care as far as driver support is concerned for sure. In the meantime just relax I am sure this issue will be fixed. It just needs patience. I uaed to have the 192 for about three years and they always provided the proper drivers. Just donot upgrade your OS hastily next time..

Yep, well, I was seduced by the possibility of getting rid of the audio dropouts ...

I believe they will and that there will also be a "motherboard" upgrade at a cost for those who are interested. I wiuld be rather imoressed and curious If It could be upgraded only through firmware updates.

No, it's different USB hardware.Can't be just a firmware upgrade;

• 3 weeks later...

Hi-

I'm changing my setup so I will need to use a remote to control the Mytek. Volume control is especially important to me.

Can someone confirm for me that the Apple Remote will do this no problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've picked up a brand new Mytek Stereo 192 DAC very recently and love the playback of my PCM music with it.

My computer is Mac Mini with OS X Yosemite (ver 10.1) and I wish to enquire whether DSD files could be playback in native format with ASIO driver. Decibel 1.3 music player (see exaSound site for details) is claimed to offer Mac OS X ASIO support.

TIA

Hi all,

I've picked up a brand new Mytek Stereo 192 DAC very recently and love the playback of my PCM music with it.

My computer is Mac Mini with OS X Yosemite (ver 10.1) and I wish to enquire whether DSD files could be playback in native format with ASIO driver. Decibel 1.3 music player (see exaSound site for details) is claimed to offer Mac OS X ASIO support.

TIA

I think Mac OSX ASIO driver is proprietary for Exasound DAC only. You cannot install it to use with Mytek.