IGNORED

GentooPlayer

5 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Where can you get a Holo Red?  Everywhere I look seems to be out of stock...

You need to contact your local dealer first. My understanding is red is still under certification. For me I order direct from Wildism hk.

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

3 hours ago, clipper said:

I saw @Dandou post about these USB-to-fiber-to-USB boxes a few weeks ago on another forum, and I ordered the exact boxes he recommends above.  

GREAT tweak, if you want to call it a tweak.  Really fantastic.  It worked wonders with each streamer/endpoint and DAC I tried it with.  

If I recall Dandou's post correctly, I think he said the transceivers and cable the boxes come with don't sound good at all.  So I never tried them.  I'm using the boxes with one of these (https://www.adark.co/collections/project-constellation-fiber/products/afterdark-project-clayx-constellation-sfp-active-optical-cable-aoc) and it sounds great. 

Thanks for the great tip, @Dandou!

salu @clipper
could you link to @Dandou 's post ?
and elaborate o the positive effects ?

tia, Tom

44 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

salu @clipper
could you link to @Dandou 's post ?
and elaborate o the positive effects ?

tia, Tom

Here is the link:

Thanks to @Dandou I also got the two little boxes last week, and I like what I hear. More authority, quieter background. The LPS used (7.5 to 10 VDC) really matters though. Here they replace an external SOtM USB hub.

audio system

19 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

@Dandou is recommending not to plug the 5V usb-c on the emitter side (if you can). 

Indeed.

The USB FMCs arrive without a manual. Near the USB-C port of the emitter, there's an inscription 5V + a few words in Chinese that I could not understand. I thought that it was necessary to power the emitter with 5V through this USB-C port, like we do with a Rpi. 

But it was a mistake. The emitter is already powered by the USB-A cable that connects it to the streamer. And with any additional power through the USB-C, the emitter stops working properly, and the sound is degraded. 

As @bodiebill said, the receiver should be powered with a good LPS. I do it with 9V from a Keces P8. 

And as @clipper said, it's important to use good transceivers. I'm using the Finisar SFP 1475. 

Mille Merci @clipper, @bodiebill, @Dandou et @Patatorz

If I understand correctly, the USB/fiber option for te RPI4 is the alternative to something like the Intona USB isolator or an Diretta USB bridge, providing galvanic decoupling between source (USB) and endpoint (USB) and using the diretta protocol?
Are there DAC's that already support the Direta protocall as targets and allow using USB FMCs?
Thus, to find out about the advantages it seems indispendable to use 2 Diretta clients (Target/Host) on RPI's or RPI-based streaming devices hosting Gentoo Player ? And, as outlined, good power supplies for each device.

Just trying to put the info into a nutshell, allowing people not following this thread permanently to understand what this is all about ;-)
bon weekend

Tom

3 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

If I understand correctly, the USB/fiber option for te RPI4 is the alternative to something like the Intona USB isolator or an Diretta USB bridge, providing galvanic decoupling between source (USB) and endpoint (USB) and using the diretta protocol?

I have both into a and this optical isolation device. Will let you know.

7 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Are there DAC's that already support the Direta protocall as targets and allow using USB FMCs?
Thus, to find out about the advantages it seems indispendable to use 2 Diretta clients (Target/Host) on RPI's or RPI-based streaming devices hosting Gentoo Player ? And, as outlined, good power supplies for each device.

I have iFi iGalvanic 3 which is a very efficient device for USB galvanic isolation. 

It reduces much of the noise, fiber USB suppresses it completely. 

You can use fiber USB between any USB streamer, and a DAC. 

But we are using it on GentooPlayer/Diretta streaming setups, because this OS, with the Diretta protocol, can be tuned for an  optimization of the sound quality in many regards in addition to the fact that the endpoint is very silent. 

For a Diretta setup, you need a Host running GentooPlayer. It can be a x86 computer or a Rpi. 

You also need a Target running GentooPlayer. It can be a Rpi3 or Rpi4, and you need to buy a Diretta license for it. 

It's important to use a good power supply for the Target, like for any other streamer. 

You can run the Host on a stock PSU, but a LPS should bring a slight additional refinement. 

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

The USB-fiber-USB converter is used to replace a single USB cable between streamer (or DDC) and DAC by

USB cable 1 > converter box A > fiber cable > converter box B > USB cable 2

and so cleaning the USB signal.

It does not require Diretta.

Are there DAC's that already support the Diretta protocol as targets and allow using USB FMCs?

Streamers yes. DACs I am not sure.

Thus, to find out about the advantages it seems indispendable to use 2 Diretta clients (Target/Host) on RPI's or RPI-based streaming devices hosting Gentoo Player ?

Yes, the two machine idea is central to Diretta (a bit like the JPlay dual setup), although the Diretta host can also be a Windows machine.

And, as outlined, good power supplies for each device.

Preferably yes, but in my experience most importantly for the target.

audio system

@Groucho , @DuckToller , 

To buy a discounted Diretta license, you first need to install GentooPlayer on your streamer, and to run it. 

Then you go to '06. Player audio/setting' > 'Z. Diretta Target'. You run the script, and you choose the option to buy Diretta. 

It costs €100, but when you'll check out, you'll get the 75% discount that is offered to the users of GentooPlayer. 

Those who still don't get how gentooplayers and diretta setup. refers to my previous post. I use RPI as server (so no need x86 pc which can be use to install gentooplayer as well) and another RPI or Holo Red as endpoint. Yes you need 2 machine this part never change for streaming and to use the optimized Diretta protocol.

Gentooplayer 1
-RPI4B or Holo Red as target, connect to USB DAC (prefer good linear power supply) connect to router/switch
enable Diretta target,then select option 2 to buy directta. After restart check system info have directta target process.
-that's it for Target. no need to enable any other player etc. This ensure the endpoint, has min process. you can set to RAM mode and other optimization. (even a 2GB RPI will suffice)

Gentooplayer 2
-RPI4B as local file server(LMS as example here) + SqliteR2/Sqlite endpoint (on same hardware) place else where away from audio equip connect to router/switch
-use a USB drive or USB M.2 drive adaptor (1TB works) connect to RPI. Mount drive.
-LMS (address:9000 to access LMS setup, scan lib, etc)
-install Diretta host (no charge)
-enable Squeezelite-R2 or Squeezelite (set output to directta, target RPI must setup and power up first and connected to a power up DAC before could select)
-I use ipeng as remote control. (don't bother to try other app, this is most user friendly control app for LMS)

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

4 minutes ago, Dandou said:

@Groucho , @DuckLocker , 

To buy a discounted Diretta license, you first need to install GentooPlayer on your streamer, and to run it. 

Then you go to '06. Player audio/setting" > "Z; Diretta Target". You run the script, and you choose the option to buy Diretta. 

It costs €100, but when you'll check out, you'll get the 75% discount that is offered to GentooPlayer users. 

ok, a set of 4 licenses ( 2x Gentoo, 2x Diretta ) are necessary , software-sided. (which -atm- translates into 2x69 + 2x25 = 189 Euro)

+ the hardware (2x 79 = 158 Euro)

+ the Usb/Fiber modules (could you please indicate what you paid for your final solution on the modules and inlets ?)
+ the power supply (flavour is a question of taste ...) but iFi powe starts at 69 Euros (138 Euro for 2)

atm its minimum 348 Euros  for HW/SW+ Modules + PSU
- not integrating any additional USB isolator (ifi, intona etc)

I am very curious about that - as I did have some excellent experience with GP as an endpoint with ROON and LMS a couple of years ago. In addition, I do have a couple of RPis (2x RPI4), some leftover x64 Pc motherboards and a couple of power supplies including two outputs  in my LPS.

However, as a long time member here, I like to offer the people interested in such a solutions some ideas about the baseline of investment necessary to start their journey. The investement, as we always see in our hobby, is per se open to excess if you want to.

There might be the point for some to spend money on a ferrum power supply or test out alternatively this Diretta route, though they might not afford both simultaniously atm.

Please feel free to correct me if my findings have been mislead someow. ;-)

TIA Tom