IGNORED

GentooPlayer

I am using ramdiskmusic and added writing permission with

chmod ugo+rwx /mnt/ramdiskmusic

Then I created a samba share RAMDISK and connected my Windows PC to it with

net use R: \\GentooPlayerX86\RAMDISK /persistent:yes

Works well. However after each GP restart, I have to use the chmod command again. Is there a way to make the writing permission permanent?

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I am using ramdiskmusic and added writing permission with

chmod ugo+rwx /mnt/ramdiskmusic

Then I created a samba share RAMDISK and connected my Windows PC to it with

net use R: \\GentooPlayerX86\RAMDISK /persistent:yes

Works well. However after each GP restart, I have to use the chmod command again. Is there a way to make the writing permission permanent?

I think I may have found the solution -- using this command from Windows:

net use R: \\GentooPlayerX86\RAMDISK /persistent:yes /user:"root" “gentooplayer”

audio system

13 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Thank you.  The Pi2AES sounds ***much better*** with 6.1.1 and the TWKs.  I was trying the PI2AES alone because with 8.2, Diretta sounded really bad!  I'll try these and the other kernel in the host.

Zack, if you are trying to 'take the edge off' then I would also recommend one other tweak that can help.  Not sure if this works for PI2AES but I'm using R2 and in my ALSA settings I set my Buffer Time to 499

image.thumb.png.0cee3fe7d5767fe40312b99c672d75be.png

1 hour ago, Auke said:

There is a update of the rpi kernels. Don't have time to try.

https://gentooplayers.com/News/

Thanks for posting this, just went through the process and so far so good!  At first I thought it had a little bit of that upper midrange glare to it but on several songs I was hearing things, little details, that I hadn't heard before.  I was listening to 'Tall in the Saddle' by Joan Armatrading and with the new kernel CLTO-RT the band felt like they were closer together (less space between each player) but it wasn't bad at all, felt more cohesive.  There is a bit more sparkle up top, maybe artificial but whatever it is I am liking it so far.  Too early to make any final judgements because I need to compare with 6.1.1 again when I have time, technically I am still working right now.  Definitely worth a try 100%, thanks Auke!

Currently for 1 hour hearing 37 CTLO (min RT without other optim')

Worth a try Indeed, I think I could live with it, very detailled, less harsh than 34

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.

Hi.... Don t loose your Time with a PC as an endpoint !  The best way to use gentooplayer as an endpoint IS with a low noise computer Like a raspberry or much better an allo usbridge SIG running gentooplayer in RAM !!! Profile 1 ! Your server on a computer windows with fidelizer pro and Diretta Asio !!! Two ethernet links ! One direct to your streamer like an allo usbridge SIG and another to your routeur ethernet to got remotes ansd streaming services ! !Your player it dépend your taste ... Audirvana, Roon, Jriver, or AP renderrer on your PC and bubbleupnp on your Android phone and minimserver iin your computer with your audio library !

7 hours ago, WuBai said:

Zack, if you are trying to 'take the edge off' then I would also recommend one other tweak that can help.  Not sure if this works for PI2AES but I'm using R2 and in my ALSA settings I set my Buffer Time to 499

image.thumb.png.0cee3fe7d5767fe40312b99c672d75be.png

Thanks, I'll try it.  Not so much "edge" as the music feeling small and constricted.  Much more open and relaxed with 6.1.1.  More air and ease in the top end.

39 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

Thanks, I'll try it.  Not so much "edge" as the music feeling small and constricted.  Much more open and relaxed with 6.1.1.  More air and ease in the top end.

You have got to try 6.1.37, would love to get your take on it.  Just listened for half an hour and I have to say I'm pretty hooked.  Running on my Diretta Host.  Wish I could load it on my Allo USBridge Target, but oh well.  

On 7/13/2023 at 9:56 PM, WuBai said:

Thanks for posting this, just went through the process and so far so good!  At first I thought it had a little bit of that upper midrange glare to it but on several songs I was hearing things, little details, that I hadn't heard before.  I was listening to 'Tall in the Saddle' by Joan Armatrading and with the new kernel CLTO-RT the band felt like they were closer together (less space between each player) but it wasn't bad at all, felt more cohesive.  There is a bit more sparkle up top, maybe artificial but whatever it is I am liking it so far.  Too early to make any final judgements because I need to compare with 6.1.1 again when I have time, technically I am still working right now.  Definitely worth a try 100%, thanks Auke!

My  first impression using 6.1.37-GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP-RCU-CLTO+

Whow dat upper sparkle/glare whay to much, not enjoyable, fatigue. Complete different than the.34 kernel. But with your TWK setting that upper sparkle is a lot less. I can listen to it now. Its nice, but better than 6.1.1 without your TWK settings? Way to soon to tell.

2 hours ago, Auke said:

Even gone back to

5.15.92-GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUPRCU-(CLTO)

Liking this so far. Even more natural sounding, maybe a little less detailed. But keeping this for a while.

Edit: Yes definitely liking this 😁

This is what I am running on my Allo USBridge Diretta TARGET since it is the best compatible kernel for that platform.  I agree 100% about it sounding very natural but less detailed.  I've done so many tweaks to get 6.1.1 to sound right after the update from 8.10 to 8.20 and I got close, but for some reason the combination of all the tweaks, 8.20 and now 6.1.37 has everything coming together in a way that I just did not think possible.  Of course the entire Target and Host has been being dialed in over the course of months over the weekends so it isn't that all of a sudden 6.1.37 is perfect, but with all the tweaks to the Target  and Host combined, this kernel is so far the best I've heard my system sound.  Maybe one day I will post every single tweak I've done to my Target and Host.  It might not matter since everybody has their own Amp, Speaker, DAC combination and no two systems or rooms sound the same but maybe someone can use it as a starting point.  Glad to see you are liking 5.15.92 and tweaking!

I am currently running Gentooplayer on a Raspberry Pi that is built into the case of my DAC. I do not have easy access to the Pi's SD card slot and have to open the case every time I do a clean install of Gentooplayer. (I have had some bad experiences updating Gentooplayer from the webinterface and prefer to do a clean install of updates.) I do have access to the Pi's USB ports from the outside. I am wondering if I could run Gentooplayer on the Pi (3B) from a USB-stick instead of from the SD card. Did anyone try? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Paradiso said:

I am currently running Gentooplayer on a Raspberry Pi that is built into the case of my DAC. I do not have easy access to the Pi's SD card slot and have to open the case every time I do a clean install of Gentooplayer. (I have had some bad experiences updating Gentooplayer from the webinterface and prefer to do a clean install of updates.) I do have access to the Pi's USB ports from the outside. I am wondering if I could run Gentooplayer on the Pi (3B) from a USB-stick instead of from the SD card. Did anyone try? Thanks.

Yes, you can boot it from the usb stick, on rpi, but I recommend using the sd-card, have you thought about maybe a
Sd Card Extender

Thanks for your reply. Good that you suggested the micro SD card extender but there is no space in the DAC case to fit it through. Would a micro SD card USB adapter be a better solution than a USB stick, or would the USB-bus be the common limiting factor here?

On 7/15/2023 at 2:40 PM, WuBai said:

This is what I am running on my Allo USBridge Diretta TARGET since it is the best compatible kernel for that platform.  I agree 100% about it sounding very natural but less detailed.  I've done so many tweaks to get 6.1.1 to sound right after the update from 8.10 to 8.20 and I got close, but for some reason the combination of all the tweaks, 8.20 and now 6.1.37 has everything coming together in a way that I just did not think possible.  Of course the entire Target and Host has been being dialed in over the course of months over the weekends so it isn't that all of a sudden 6.1.37 is perfect, but with all the tweaks to the Target  and Host combined, this kernel is so far the best I've heard my system sound.  Maybe one day I will post every single tweak I've done to my Target and Host.  It might not matter since everybody has their own Amp, Speaker, DAC combination and no two systems or rooms sound the same but maybe someone can use it as a starting point.  Glad to see you are liking 5.15.92 and tweaking!

Until now i kept my host and target on the same Kernel (exept clto which i have only for my target)

So now i am following your example

My target stayed on

5.15.92-GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUPRCU-(CLTO)

My host the newest

6.1.37-GentooPlayer-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP-RCU+

-The terrible upper glare isn't there this time

There is more energy, faster, more details.

-Your TWK tweaks have no effect for me this time (on host)

-Your diretta Host tweaks does something. I don't know if it is for me yet.

Edit: Think not. It makes is more dull for me

7 hours ago, Auke said:

-Your TWK tweaks have no effect for me this time (on host)

-Your diretta Host tweaks does something. I don't know if it is for me yet.

Edit: Think not. It makes is more dull for me

Glad you took the time to make an edit just to tell me how dull it is, LOL!  😁  I love it.