IGNORED

GentooPlayer

On 7/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, Auke said:

This tip helped me a lot to get squeezelite a lot better.

Output buffer is huge here, can be smaller.

I have experimented with the input buffer. It does have effect. I Agree with RichartT that 1200 hits the sweet spot

I finally got my May + Bliss stacks. when I play with setting even I set input buff to 1200 I still feel the SQ is not as good as DLNA/MPD. Later I found out I could slide the vol bar to adj the vol in iPeng! (with sqlitev2 and LMS on rpi) which means audio path may not bit perfect. Generally if you can adj vol in player (not on dac build in vol or preamp), then something is not optimized.

Search round gentoo, sqr2 adj page didn't find anything. Then when I go to LMS page (add:9000) dig deeper under player, bingo, even crossfeed is enable, vol can be adj. disable crossfeed, set fix vol. Voila! now the sound is as good as MPD/DLNA from Jriver.

image.png.db6f20790e828229ac5625be9955e0ec.png

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

On the Facebook of Diretta there's an ad about a discount for the license to GentooPlayer users: 

image.png.90305234d848da869250f4a2a6c3240f.png

However, it's unclear what 'Diretta USB Bridge for APP' means. 

And is the discount offered only to first license buyers, or is it available also to users who already have a license for another device running GentooPlayer? 

6 hours ago, mavwong said:

I finally got my May + Bliss stacks. when I play with setting even I set input buff to 1200 I still feel the SQ is not as good as DLNA/MPD. Later I found out I could slide the vol bar to adj the vol in iPeng! (with sqlitev2 and LMS on rpi) which means audio path may not bit perfect. Generally if you can adj vol in player (not on dac build in vol or preamp), then something is not optimized.

Search round gentoo, sqr2 adj page didn't find anything. Then when I go to LMS page (add:9000) dig deeper under player, bingo, even crossfeed is enable, vol can be adj. disable crossfeed, set fix vol. Voila! now the sound is as good as MPD/DLNA from Jriver.

I have read that 100% volume is the same as fixed volume.

This is also interesting with(out) bitperfect

7 hours ago, mavwong said:

image.png.440f4eb3c80a3734cc77c259a6526936.png

image.png.06b11952fcbf4a150124eca5615add20.png

image.png.94b319538b4b16ae877b1b707887f597.png

you will find just that

14 hours ago, Dandou said:

On the Facebook of Diretta there's an ad about a discount for the license to GentooPlayer users: 

And is the discount offered only to first license buyers, or is it available also to users who already have a license for another device running GentooPlayer? 

I try still show 100.

May be a graphic of text that says 'Content-type: text/html Please allow about 24 hours for activation. You will receive an email when the activation is activated. you have any problems, please create ticket at https://help.diretta.link DirettaApp is licensed for one Hardware only. Hardware cannot be changed. Hardware bloken, the license can be reissued only ont time, within one year of purchase. Diretta Target USB Bridge for APP €100,00 CPU Lock Licence Diretta Target Bridge APP Buy now License Diretta Target App. DirettaApp licensed one Hardware only. Hardware cannot changed. Hardware bloken, the license can time within one year purchase. reissued only ont'

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:

19 hours ago, Dandou said:

On th Facebook of Diretta there's an ad about a discount for the license to GentooPlayer users: 

I try still show 100.

update, once you move to payment it will show 25! 

Great value, what are you waiting for? Host no need license, just pay for each Target you have.

Speaker system:
HP:

@mavwong

You can increase sound quality a step further:

-Buy a usb lan dongle.

-Plug your router to the dongle and connect this into your host usb.

-connect your host and target directly with a lan cable

If you don't have a usb lan dongle. You can even try wifi on your host. But than you can't use all the kernels. (A few post earlier this is discussed

)

13 minutes ago, Auke said:

@mavwong

You can increase sound quality a step further:

-Buy a usb lan dongle.

-Plug your router to the dongle and connect this into your host usb.

-connect your host and target directly with a lan cable

If you don't have a usb lan dongle. You can even try wifi on your host. But than you can't use all the kernels. (A few post earlier this is discussed

)

Yup that’s my next move. But first I need to do up wiring casing from living to router room. I bought dell usb to rj45 adaptor already. Also I need bridge both lan at host right?

IMG_1584.thumb.jpeg.a44715d268a3e9fa855734ee94f78fcc.jpeg

Speaker system:
HP:

You only have to bridge if you want to reach your target (gentooplayer settings) if connected directly.

It will play music if you don't set the bridge. I think its better sounding without the bridge setting.

Edit: You host is also very important for the quality of sound. So a good linear power supply and some vibration control can make a difference.

7 hours ago, mavwong said:

Just to share my current setup. Adding Diretta up another notch of sound quality, mainly in background noise, which the most critical point of any sound reproduction. with Diretta, everything improves by a notch, no joke. After I fix the LMS player vol issue, it's so much better and on par with MPD/UPNP stream from Jriver, after using Diretta, everything sounded better by another level. Can't believe my ears at first but it's true, both on headphones and speakers system.

Now listen at low level I still could hear details. Instrument got energy, instead of flat sound. Vocal now gives even clearer emotion from singer which I can't hear or felt before.

Great work by Filippo and Diretta team!

Gentooplayer 1
-RPI4B as target, connect to USB DAC (prefer good linear power supply) connect to router/switch
enable Diretta target,then select option 2 to buy directta. After restart check system info have directta target process.
-that's it for Target. no need to enable any other player etc. This ensure the endpoint, has min process. you can set to RAM mode and other optimization. (even a 2GB RPI will suffice)

Gentooplayer 2
-RPI4B as local file server(LMS as example here) + SqliteR2/Sqlite endpoint (on same hardware) place else where away from audio equip connect to router/switch
-use a USB drive or USB M.2 drive adaptor (1TB works) connect to RPI. Mount drive.
-LMS (address:9000 to access LMS setup, scan lib, etc)
-install Diretta host (no charge)
-enable Squeezelite-R2 or Squeezelite (set output to directta, target RPI must setup and power up first and connected to a power up DAC before could select)
-I use ipeng as remote control. (don't bother to try other app, this is most user friendly control app for LMS)

Enjoy blissing sound :)

IMG_1582.jpeg

RPI target connect to DAC with a cheap linear power supply, moded cap filtering Hat for RPI4.

IMG_1583.jpeg

RPI server, Diretta host in router room. Heatsink for RPI haven't arrived yet thus very bare.

IMG_1490.jpeg

Holo Audio stacks, very dark background, quite, yet sounded so good /dynamic compare to Dave+mscaler.

You should consider Holo red which has rpi cm4 which can act as diretta target. Red already has class leading noise figures & superior jitter performance. Combined with Gp diretta target/clto & direct rj45 connection via your rpi4 diretta server. I’m sure you’ll gain more sonic performance. Red will declutter multiple cables & LPS. 

DDC: Singer SU6, Metrum Ambre

DAC: Metrum Pavane, Weiss 205

Amp/Preamp: AGD Audions, Herron VTSP 360 Ref

HP: Raal SR1a, BS650, BP580, HE6sev2, Yamaha HP1

Speakers: Kairos 

On 8/4/2023 at 5:05 PM, Ossanboy said:

198 pages and no one wants to explain to help

Your question was very broad and I think a little overwhelming for people to answer.  It also would probably be better posted in the Mercury Streamer thread to Mercury users can offer specific advice.

I posted instructions on page 8 there for formatting and accessing an NVME drive in the Mercury to use it as a music storage device as well as a streamer.  I was able to do this with Gentooplayer but as far as I can tell there is no easy way to do this Volumio or other Pi software without some coding knowledge.

Assuming you have Gentooplayer installed, I would follow those instructions to create a shareable NVME drive.  After that, you have to select your DAC (Hifi Digiberry Pro), your player (LMS, MPD, whatever), etc.  The player you choose will determine what client software you use.  A squeezelite player requires a Logitech client to configure and play.  For MPD and upmpdcli, you can use a suitable MPD or DLNA/UPnP client.  Lumin is a good playback client for portable devices but you need to install/activate Minimserver and BubbleUpnP in Gentooplayer.

GP isn't plug-and-play like Volumio or Ropieee, but it offers many more options to use the Mercury as a streamer and server.

If you get the basics set up, some of us can help you refine the process.

48 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Wow, I thought this was the GentooPlayer thread! You gents have wandered WAY off topic.  

I don't think that we are off-topic. We share feedback on how to optimize a GentooPlayer streaming setup.

I'm running GentooPlayer both on the Host, and on the Target. 

10 hours ago, lithiumnk said:

You should consider Holo red which has rpi cm4 which can act as diretta target. Red already has class leading noise figures & superior jitter performance. Combined with Gp diretta target/clto & direct rj45 connection via your rpi4 diretta server. I’m sure you’ll gain more sonic performance. Red will declutter multiple cables & LPS. 

Great mind think a like. I already have one on order! At first local dealer not bringing in as Red still under certification. But I told Wildism I don't mind as I knew what Gentooplayer + Diretta could do. Will update again here once I received it. interesting to hear what red can bring.

Speaker system:
HP:

8 hours ago, Dandou said:

That's what I did, and I reduced with the Red the number of boxes in my setup, while improving the sound. But this reduction was temporary, and I ended with more boxes, cables & LPSs than before, because of the endless quest for a better sound. 

I will explain. 

Before buying the Red, I was using an Allo USBridge as a Target, followed by an Audio-GD DI-20HE DDC for an I2S input to the DAC. 

The weak link in this combo was the USB transmission. I optimized it somehow by reducing the USB noise with an iFi iGalvanic 3 that I put between the Allo, and the DI-20HE. 

When I got the Red, it became my I2S Target, and I got a nice improvement of the SQ. Alone, it was a more silent than the succession of the devices that it replaced. 

Then, @FranckLeRouge, from a French forum, told me that he uses fiber USB between his streamer, and his DDC. Optical USB isolation works with FMCs, and SFP transceivers, for the USB packets. Quite the same as the optical isolation for the Ethernet transmission. 

I ordered from AliExpress the same model that Franck uses.

On my system, I'm using fiber USB this way: 

Diretta Target (Allo USBridge) > USB > 1st FMC > fiber > 2nd FMC > USB > Red > I2S > DAC

A DDC is a more silent device than a streamer. 

Tough the Red is a very silent Diretta Target, it still produces some noise, because it has to run a Rpi4 with GentooPlayer, and Diretta. When it is configured as a DDC, it is way more silent. 

The noise of the streamer being completely suppressed by the fiber transmission, I got a very serious improvement of the SQ. 

The improvement is similar if I use the DI-20HE instead of the Red. 

The sonic benefit of this tweak is huge, I'm very happy with the sound, but now I have in my streaming setup more boxes, LPSs, and cables than ever. 😀

I believe what you hear my friend. But you just open a very BIG CAN of worm lol! Very interesting finding indeed. I might try out this setup since I already have the RPI target. I might not transfer gentoo from rpi to Red anymore to try out streamer setup. Since currently diretta got offer now might as well get another set of setup for Red. 

Ultimate:
Diretta Target (RPI) -> USB -> 1st FMC -> fiber -> 2nd FMC -> USB -> Red(DDC) -> I2S -> DAC

Other setup for me to try:
Red target -> USB -> DAC
Red target -> USB -> 1st FMC -> fiber -> 2nd FMC -> USB -> DAC
Diretta Target (RPI) -> USB -> Red(DDC) -> I2S -> DAC

So where is the full stop here? I might just enjoy the music and be happy lolz. Cos every old album I have and song I listen is like brand new song.

I don't agree it's off topic as it is the extension of what Gentooplayer enable all these further optimization. But if Filippo feel against it I also respect ya.

Speaker system:
HP:

On my side I use Holo Red as Diretta Target and another RPI4 as Host with gmediarender. All in 8.20 and kernel 37 Eup Nor CTLO. Target and Host are connected on direct mode.

I connect to Host from Audirvana via UPnP.

Sound is Indeed quite better with this Host (I used Audirvana as host before)

And Holo Red rose incredibly the SQ

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.