IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

4 hours ago, matthias said:

This is comprehensible, neither the opticalModule nor the etherRegen which both can be used with the opticalRendu are yet released.

Matt

Correct. Since neither is available yet we are making available a starter kit which will get people up and running. If you watch Chris' video you will see the basic parts of the starter kit and how to connect them. If you already have optical Ethernet in the audio room you don't need the starter kit.   

10 hours ago, firedog said:

yes, but for instance what doesn't that show?:

An example would be an existing setup that is NAS>conventional (non optic switch/router)>standard network renderer (or rendu)>DAC.

Another thing that isn't clear (at least to me) from the above chart: what does "existing optical ethernet" mean? Just a switch with an SFP module? Or something else.

I'm really not trying to make this complicated. What some of you don't seem to get is that lots of people have zero experience with optical in any form and don't understand what's involved.  You can't assume everyone understands what an FMC or an SFP are and what needs to be connected to what.

If you have a NAS>conventional (non optic switch/router)>standard network renderer (or rendu)>DAC then you are done:) If you want to add optical without changing any of those parts then you need two opticalModules back to back to get the network optically isolated. The last leg to the micro/ultraRendu will be cable Ethernet because that is what the micro/ultraRendu support. I would prefer to replace your switch with one that supports optical and this way you only need one opticalModule with a micro/ultraRendu. 

Existing optical ethernet means you have optical networking capabilities already and you probable all ready know what to do from there.

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

Jesus,

For your consideration:

How about offering a 2nd SFP as an option?  I have fiber today but with a different connector, so I'd need another SFP to plug into my router anyway.  Keeps it simple!

We will have an option for this in the drop down menu when you order the unit. 

19 hours ago, Chiler54 said:

I connected an ultraRendu to a Chord Qutest. Will the OpticalRendu sound better when replacing the UltraRendu?

I don’t get into these types of comparisons. There will be plenty of feedback from users when we start shipping.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, cat6man said:

note to all:

if you are planning on using single mode simplex fiber, the SFP must be in matched pairs so that the Tx and Rx wavelengths line up properly.

Jesus:

you noted you were going to offer an option to purchase a 2nd SFP with the opticalRendu.

can you also offer an option to leave out the SFP if we already have a set?

p.s. I've run 15m of single mode simplex fiber from my router........only one piece missing now :)

The SFP modules need to be Gigabit only. 

6 hours ago, rickca said:

@vortecjr can we expect a new release of SonicOrbiter along with availability of opticalRendu?  Any planned enhancements you can share at this time?

No because we have been regularly updating it as we go along so when the opticalRendu launches we have a consolidated operating system across the series. 

production update

We have received images of the production run for approval and they look great. When the boards arrive we will start testing them while we wait for the enclosures. I can't make any promises because things can happen that are out of our control, but right now we are shooting for mid March to start shipping units. Fingers crossed...

• 2 weeks later...

Production update

The production boards arrived yesterday and a few are shipping out to our team members today for internal testing. As best as I can tell the enclosures which should arrive first of March. 

If you are interested in this product please sign up to the Sonore mailing list on our website at www.sonore.us or through this direct link:

https://www.sonore.us/mailing-list.html

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Musikfan said:

Hi, I'm currently using an ultrarendu and sonic transporter i5.  I'm interested in the optical rendu, systemoptique and/or optical module, but I'm confused how I can use any of these optical products in my system setup.  I read the threads in this forum, and also the article in Audiostream about electronically isolating the system using media converters and fiber cable, and I'm trying to figure out how to integrate optical into my current setup.

Currently, I run a modem into an eero router, and the eero, STi5 and a powerline base unit into a non optical switch. That is all in the basement.  In my living room upstairs I have the ultrarendu which is plugged into the 2nd powerline module and the DAC.  Everything runs on ethernet and usb.

Is there a way to take advantage of any of these new optical products and if so what is the way to set them up in in my current system.  Which of the products do I need and what would the setup be? What would get plugged into the optical switch SFP port?  How do I use the opticalrendu if it and the DAC are upstairs in a separate room from the router, switch in the basement? 

Thank you for any clarity you can shed on the subject and help with the setup.  Regards everyone.

You would use a fiber medial converter or FMC. You connect your Ethernet cable into one end and the opticalRendu to the other end. We are making our own FMC to follow the release of the opticalRendu called the opticalModule.

2 minutes ago, Musikfan said:

Hi, thanks.  When you say connect the ethernet cable into the FMC do you mean the ethernet cable from the powerline unit that is currently plugs into my ultrarendu? So, all I would need is an optical module and the opticalrendu?  Would I still need an optical switch? And if so, what cable gets plugged into the SFP of the switch?  Sorry, but am trying to understand the setup. Thanks again for any help. 

All you would need is the opticalModule, but you can use a switch if you want to. If the switch has an SFP port then you can connect it directly opticalRendu. The SFP port takes an insert that outputs optical Ethernet and we will be selling the SPF inserts to assure compatibility from end to end. 

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

Hi Jesus,

That qualifies as a crumb :)

I'm just a little grumpy because I sold my ultraRendu and the sound of my system has taken a big step downward using just a cubox :(

I'm sure it will be worth the wait as you guys have a proven track record with me.

Cheers (and get back to work!)

Don't worry more news is coming soon. Chris said it's the best Rendu we have ever made and everyone who has heard it agrees)   

We are going to offer solutions that work together. If you are going to buy your own solutions it will be hard for us to approve them based on the number of possible configurations. Anyway, you will find some helpful tips here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55216-sonore-systemoptique/?do=findComment&comment=910082

His devices may just draw different amounts of current. This is reason we send samples to different people. Enough people have these power supplies that we can wait for feedback before deciding to include or exclude the LPS-1 from the recommended list. 

10 hours ago, cat6man said:

with multiple Rendu units, including ultraRendu with lps-1.2.

the usb output direct to dac was compared to usb output feeding various adapters that converted to aes/ebu.

in every case, aes/ebu sounded better with my DAC.

this was true with my DAC using moderately priced D->D converters (e.g. sotm dx-usbHD and Matrix) and high end (TotalDAC reclocker--the best by far).

i'm looking forward to feeding my TotalDAC reclocker with the opticalRendu as further reducing upstream noise is clearly important.

just changing the ultraRendu power supply from lps-1 to lps-1.2 was immediately audible, even with a reclocker after the ultraRendu!

i have not tried the signature unit though, so i can't comment on that specifically.

update:  this does raise the issue of whether or not a super power supply would further elevate the opticalRendu in my configuration.........guess i'll have to wait until April to start investigating that question.   i'll start with the lps-1.2 but i'll be very interested in the feedback of others who may try other power supply units.

I have another customer that really likes his TotalDAC reclocker when feed by a microRendu.