IGNORED

It *cannot* just be about 1's and 0's - surely?

Mazza

5 minutes ago, Mazza said:

I have to say the Kii's are stunning and I have nothing but praise for them....everything I do to my system just seems to bring out more and more musicality and resolution out of them.

Well, there is your explanation.  In the audiophile art of system tweaking, everything leads to more "musicality", more "resolution", more (where is Ralf Arnott when you need him).

What are you selling?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 minute ago, Mazza said:

Thanks for the supportive words.

I am not trying to push any cable agenda, in fact if you go back to my OP I deliberately didn't mention cable or equipment so to avoid any fanboy accusations. There is merely a phenomena which I don't understand which I put to the forum to ask if anyone knows better.

I can hardly imagine the forums are going to get into a frenzy over this small matter!!!!!

But thank for your contribution

Your welcome, but I and many others (certainly those who lean to the real and "objective") are not here to "support" you.  It is not about therapy, but the truth.  In the end, if folks are to be helped the truth must be involved.  I don't see the truth in your experience or in your post.  I could be wrong, and will admit it if I am, but I suspect this cable testimonial thread will end up just like the rest of them...

3 minutes ago, Mazza said:

Here we go, the insults start. I am not selling anything, I merely asked if anyone knows why I got an odd result

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and poops like a duck, it probably is a duck.  Of course, you already knew this.  

If you experience is real and has a realistic explanation that is really related to USB/digital communication (the 1's and 0's of your titillating subject line), then I will offer a mea culpa, not for insulting you (which is a red herring on your part) but for doubting your experience.  

Until then, it's a UFO sighting...

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I can think of one vaguely plausible explanation along those lines. Suppose the long cable is so poor that it drops down to USB 1.1 full speed while the short one manages to support USB 2.0 high speed. As a result, different OS drivers might get used, or the DAC might be otherwise differently identified. This in turn could lead to different saved volume settings being applied. A lot of ifs and mights, but it's not entirely impossible.

Yes, the OS (of either end) switching drivers...The OP mentions a "server" - does he have (if user configurable) a "bit perfect" (turning off all OS DSP processing) on said server, and is it really ever truly defeatable...but like you say possible but many ifs

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

are you measuring the volume with a volt meter at the speaker terminals?

His speakers have amps and DAC built-in so there are no speaker terminals that he can use.  So the USB cable is going directly into one speaker, and then perhaps a proprietary connection from one speaker to the other.... Firedog probably clear this up.

2 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

What's in this thing?  USB has power, so perhaps this is an active device, and not that battery-attached-to-a-shield-or-whatever thing AQ does on their analog interconnects and speaker cables.  Apple and Google pack a DAC and HP amp into the end of a tiny USB-C headphone adapter.  This thing is enormous by comparison.

976790529_AQ_Diamond_USB_DBSTermination.thumb.jpg.ed8260513e3a34a575a395225af6f86c.jpg

Is this the USB cable (that is obviously more than a cable) the OP is using?

6 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

I think they say that it's the same, but we only have their word for it (and haven't they been caught using a few "tricks" in their demos over the years? lol).  USB cables have power, so it could be more than what's on their analog cables.  As far as I know, there are no tear-downs of this device on their USB cables.  I'm not curious enough to buy one to open it up, just as I never bothered with any of the MIT cables that had little boxes, either.

Just now, Mazza said:

To clarify... my original AQ cable (cinnamon) does not have this, the new AQ cable (Diamond) does.   They fit it to a number of their various cable range inc analogue cables. It is some form of dialelectric bias system. Don’t claim to understand how it works. 

Well, unless it has DAC/DSP capability built in (not entirely out of the realm of possibility in audiophiledom cable world), I don't see how it could be the cause of your experience directly.  I suppose coming back to mansr speculation, it could be somehow causing the endpoints to do funky USB speed/driver changes but this explanation is long shot as it is...