IGNORED

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison - FINAL

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hmm, I have to analyze my recent tendency to talk in yoda-like sentences. :D

"My recent tendency to talk in Yoda-like sentences to analyze I have." Surely?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

11 hours ago, manisandher said:

No-one was doing scientific research.

• I was certain I could hear differences between bit-identical playback.
  • So confident was I that this was the case, I invited a well-respected CAer up to demonstrate this to him, with a view to posting the results up, whichever way they went, for all to see. (Does anyone think I would have done this if I couldn't hear what I was hearing?)
  • We captured the input to the DAC digitally in real time during the ABX - there were 30 captures from the 10 ABXs.
  • All 30 captures were compared and shown to be bit-identical.
  • And yet I identified X correctly 9/10 times (1% probability by guessing alone).

I know of no other test conducted as rigourously as this, in situ in a domestic setting.

Mani.

Mani, Thx for the beginning of a Methods section.  You went to the trouble of doing the above so it is not much more difficult to write down what you did in simple sentences.  All of CA would benefit from this.

Several people homed in on software differences as explaining the results, hence my comment.  One person suggested detection of settings thru the door or something.

Another possibility is that something differed in terms of what the DAC did in each case.

If you have eliminated all confounding variables, you have left a difference in the files can be detected by the subject.  (no matter how small and irrespective of which sounds better, or if the difference is worth the cost, effort, etc.)

11 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Ralf11, Junior Member, joined Oct. 20, 2016, content count  8,716 ?  ?

HolyCow_688-x-371px.thumb.jpg.4b19c612227d24e072f692978d248d59.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Deleted

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 11/6/2018 at 3:58 AM, sandyk said:

That's a copout !

You have so little confidence in your own listening abilities that you are unwilling to try any of the numerous comparison tracks made available in different C.A. threads, and post your results for other members to see.

Put him on ignore: I did it over a year ago and the SNR improvement was better than an upgrade.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)