IGNORED

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison - FINAL

I can't imagine there's any appetite for yet another hires/MQA comparison... but I wanted to do this for myself anyhow, and decided I may as well share. You see, from a purely personal perspective, the score from the previous two apples-to-apples comparisons is: MQA 1 _ Hires 1. I can't leave it there - this has to be a best of three.

For all those who participated in the previous two threads, don't feel at all obliged to share your thoughts, or indeed do the comparison at all. But the outcomes of the previous two were inconclusive to my mind, and it might be nice to take a final listen to another apples-to-apples comparison.

As before, I played and captured 3 files:

- an original hires 24/96

- an MQA 24/48, decoded to 24/96

- a 16/44.1, converted to 24/96 with iZotope

Each file was played back on Roon (in WASAPI Exclusive Mode), sent to a USB-to-spdif converter and captured at 24/96 on a Tascam recorder.

The original hires and the hires capture null perfectly:

1354955330_DifferenceFile-Originalvs.HiresCapture.thumb.JPG.ac93bae186cd2ace6cb35b088ef1a4ea.JPG

The original and the MQA capture show the following difference:

537773778_DifferenceFile-Originalvs.MQACapture.thumb.JPG.d1253970258783a0b20a1c737951eb2d.JPG

So everything looks perfectly in order.

Here are the 3 captures:

Sample A

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mbg55FWQjs98qfXlZG3cnq4U6FetAaxk

Sample B

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OTOpIQcYjd3_DVAvJXtVFkAIjBJui7uv

Sample C

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10wuw9xu9sR0pmaSb6k5Edbz67bpYF5h4

(It's trivial to identify the 16/44.1 by analysis. By all means go ahead and do this, but please refrain from sharing the results of your analysis until I reveal the answer, in a few days' time.)

To my ears, there's a clear difference in sound between the 3. But which is the MQA?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Hi Mani

I'm not even going to try and guess which version is the MQA.

However, FWIW, these are my impressions :

"A"  is a bit dull and lifeless.

"B"  has much more light and shade, and to me is much more enjoyable

"C"  sounds like a light weight version of B, as if a little shy on LF perhaps ?.

It reminds me of what happens with my files when I accentuate HF detail a smidgin too much.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 10/13/2018 at 3:54 AM, Lee Scoggins said:

Peter's recordings are really excellent without the MQA encoding but the MQA encoding made a pretty noticeable difference.  With the MQA encoding, the sound of the room became much more clear.  There was more fullness in the mids and bass and transients seemed more lifelike.  It seemed like the soundstage got both wider and deeper.  It wasn't subtle.  The MQA files sounded much better and more natural like live music in a real space.

@Lee Scoggins, I wonder if you can hear the same 'MQA effect' in one of the three samples I've linked in the OP? I'd say this is a more realistic test of MQA's efficacy.

Care to take a listen and let me know?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

zzzz what's this ? zzzz had a hard time not falling asleep and reporting: might be a good go to sleep record...

In the end I took great pleasure listening to the double bass on sample B played per my signature*

I started with Closed Form PCM and double bass was fat, everything actually was comparatively fat, in A and I then thought it was like vinyl repress when LF is up to mask loss in HF and deduced A is 16/44

piano seemed a little less confused with C, maybe just because I knew, and since I had a hard time identifying a piano with the first notes with B (played in order), I slightly preferred C

I then went SDM with ext 2 filter.

A improved/benefited very much and I could live with it.

double bass on B got a hook on me : dry, extended, going low dry and fast. 

zzzz what's this ? zzzz had a hard time not falling asleep with C and its soft imprecise double mess bass

went back to B and listened to the whole track ; enthusiasm coming, I even had the visualisation of the drummer's arms hitting...

Verdict :

A 16/44

B hires, my choice anyway

C MQA

*(I slightly modified the convolution filters, straightening 0.5 to 1 dB L&R here and there, but did not kept the slight HF rise mimicking Michael Fremer's above 1K in room response: nobody pays me and I don't care as much for revealing as for enjoyable) 

On 10/24/2018 at 10:17 AM, manisandher said:

I can't imagine there's any appetite for yet another hires/MQA comparison... but I wanted to do this for myself anyhow, and decided I may as well share. You see, from a purely personal perspective, the score from the previous two apples-to-apples comparisons is: MQA 1 _ Hires 1. I can't leave it there - this has to be a best of three.

For all those who participated in the previous two threads, don't feel at all obliged to share your thoughts, or indeed do the comparison at all. But the outcomes of the previous two were inconclusive to my mind, and it might be nice to take a final listen to another apples-to-apples comparison.

As before, I played and captured 3 files:

- an original hires 24/96

- an MQA 24/48, decoded to 24/96

- a 16/44.1, converted to 24/96 with iZotope

Each file was played back on Roon (in WASAPI Exclusive Mode), sent to a USB-to-spdif converter and captured at 24/96 on a Tascam recorder.

The original hires and the hires capture null perfectly:

1354955330_DifferenceFile-Originalvs.HiresCapture.thumb.JPG.ac93bae186cd2ace6cb35b088ef1a4ea.JPG

The original and the MQA capture show the following difference:

537773778_DifferenceFile-Originalvs.MQACapture.thumb.JPG.d1253970258783a0b20a1c737951eb2d.JPG

So everything looks perfectly in order.

Here are the 3 captures:

Sample A

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mbg55FWQjs98qfXlZG3cnq4U6FetAaxk

Sample B

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OTOpIQcYjd3_DVAvJXtVFkAIjBJui7uv

Sample C

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10wuw9xu9sR0pmaSb6k5Edbz67bpYF5h4

(It's trivial to identify the 16/44.1 by analysis. By all means go ahead and do this, but please refrain from sharing the results of your analysis until I reveal the answer, in a few days' time.)

To my ears, there's a clear difference in sound between the 3. But which is the MQA?

Mani.

I decided not to use software for analysis this time and just listen. After I made my decision, I saw what Le Cucumber found and he seems to completely agree with my conclusions, or maybe I agree with his :)

A  = 16/44 -- sounds good but has just a little bit less 3d/air than B

B = 24/96 - very nice, focused bass, more shimmer and air around cymbals

C = MQA - bass a bit less controlled, less air around cymbals, piano sounds just a bit more artificial

Was this even close? I'll wait to do software analysis until others have a chance to report their preferences.

23 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

**I am not sure a pure play A/B exists in Tidal where the mastering has been identical except for the MQA encoding.

The original hires file (not from Tidal), the MQA (from Tidal), and the 16/44.1 (from Tidal) used in this thread are from the same master.

Mani.

1 hour ago, manisandher said:

The original hires file (not from Tidal), the MQA (from Tidal), and the 16/44.1 (from Tidal) used in this thread are from the same master.

Mani.

How do you know this for sure?

And is the 16/44.1 from Tidal the MQA version undecoded or actually just straight redbook?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

19 minutes ago, esldude said:

How do you know this for sure?

Musicscope analysis.

19 minutes ago, esldude said:

And is the 16/44.1 from Tidal the MQA version undecoded or actually just straight redbook?

It's redbook - undecoded MQA would be 48, not 44.1.

Mani.

After some listening, and no looking in software I rank them this way. 

A. Best

B. not quite as good

C. least good and more different vs B than A is to B.  

If I were going with conventional ideas, Hi-res, MQA and CD.  B sounds a bit artificially airy, and soft imaging.  C is missing some low end, and has unnatural hardness on the upper mids.  But then I don't trust myself in sighted listening anyway. 

Maybe I'll abx them tomorrow. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

But then I don't trust myself in sighted listening anyway.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Maybe I'll abx them tomorrow. 

I suspect any differences you heard sighted will vanish. The question then is: were you just hearing differences sighted that didn't actually exist, or... is ABX is less effective way of judging subtle differences? I'm squarely in the latter camp when there is absolutely no reason to be biased one way or another, as is the case in this comparison.

Mani.

I would agree they seem to be the same master having examined them some.  

57 minutes ago, esldude said:

I'm squarely in the opposite camp.

Bias doesn't need a reason.  It is inherent in how the human organism works.  

Once you've analysed them, then your bias is going to set in. "I couldn't possibly have heard such subtle differences. I must have imagined them."

But as long as you're happy...

Mani.

3 hours ago, manisandher said:

Once you've analysed them, then your bias is going to set in. "I couldn't possibly have heard such subtle differences. I must have imagined them."

But as long as you're happy...

Mani.

about bias : seeing austinpop going for 16/44 (as I did) but almost seduced by MQA and interested in the recording pianist (I would very much rather consider Richter Pollini Arrau Argerich...) I wonder if the Chopin's recording at the center of test II has/was made with/ any other purpose than biased demonstration to start with

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

about bias : seeing austinpop going for 16/44 (as I did) but almost seduced by MQA and interested in the recording pianist (I would very much rather consider Richter Pollini Arrau Argerich...) I wonder if the Chopin's recording at the center of test II has/was made with/ any other purpose than biased demonstration to start with

Not everyone preferred Sample A (the MQA file), though a surprising number did. My personal preference was B (the hires).

Interestingly, this FINAL test is proving a tad more consistent than the first two. I still haven't released the answer yet, so there's still time for others to take part.

Mani.

@John_Atkinson, do you fancy giving this 'test' a go?

Mani.

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

What genre of music is this? The last 2 were not genres I listen to. 

It's a fusion of Arabic music and jazz... I think. I picked it because it has a lot of energy throughout the spectrum.

Mani.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Bias is inherent in how all organisms work.  Even very simple neural nets "fill in" or predict "information" - after an instant's thought i suppose I should limit this to non-plants but I'd bet money that systems of auxins do the same.

OK, so which of A, B, or C are you biased towards, and why?

Mani.

3 hours ago, manisandher said:

OK, so which of A, B, or C are you biased towards, and why?

Mani.

The point is if differences are small enough no human can actually hear a difference, our bias as an organism is to choose something as different.  In which case bias can create a subjective perception of different where there is none.  So "listening carefully" makes us likely to hear differences whether there or not.  At some higher level of difference our perceptual senses are accurate. 

Your opinion seems to be if we perceive a difference it is by definition really different in reality and not just in subjective perception.  It is counter to all kinds of knowledge about humans and mammals.  But this is an old argument.