IGNORED

Soundstage Width cannot extend beyond speakers

STC

3 hours ago, semente said:

In my tiny room I get reasonable imaging anywhere along the long wall that faces the speakers. Side-wall seats get nice sound but no imaging width which seems logical. Tonally it's OK on side-wall seats and quite nice anywhere on the 3-seat sofa facing the speakers.

But I do have some standing waves bouncing around yes.

I do too, but then I have a pair of curved-screen electrostatics. The section of the ESL driver that's facing you acts like a line source (it seems), so as long as the listener is within the arc of both drivers, he/she/it gets a decent stereo image. Obviously a speaker such as the MLB Radialsthaler does a similar thing, but over an obviously wider arc.

George

19 hours ago, fas42 said:

The fact that setups were getting the sound right 50 years ago shows how little true progress has been made in understanding - there's nothing new under the sun! Again, it's not the speakers, but how well the whole rig has been sorted - there's a continuum of behaviour: start with very best recordings, on a decent rig - and work up to all recordings, on a setup of highest quality that's been optimised to the last detail - there are places all along the spread between those points for systems to reside.

"...a setup of highest quality that's been optimised to the last detail..." Yeah like with an admittedly cheap NAD amp and "boom-box" speakers, you'd know! Like an old Turkish handyman that worked around my college campus once told me: " You can put a tuxedo on a goat. But it's still just a goat."

George

39 minutes ago, semente said:

That is not real 2-channel stereo.

Indeed it is not. I used to mike the entire "Schola Cantorum" ( the San Jose (CA) State University choir) with a single pair AKG-414s set to cardioid, seven inches apart on a stereo T-bar with the diaphragms 120 degrees from each other! No other mikes were required to get a perfect choral recording. If the recording venue isn't a live performance, you substitute the figure-of-eight pattern for cardioid, and pick-up lots of lovely hall sound to augment the chorus singing. I've tried it other ways, it just doesn't sound real. 

George

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, but I’m pointing out that with Blumlein’s mic techniques described back in 1931, you can get a recording that will project a soundstage outside a stereo pair of speakers simply by adjusting volume of the mic feeds.

Would that it were this simple! True stereo miking does give a correctly phased image, and depending on the speakers and the room, that can surely give one a better shot at a wall-to-wall soundstage; complete with image front-to-back, and image height (one can not only tell, merely from listening, that the brass is back there behind the woodwinds, one can also tell that they are on risers!). 

But ultimately, how wide the soundstage is (beyond the speakers) is a function of speaker choice and room acoustics. 

George

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Please do bother to read Blumlein’s 1931 patent in full before opining.

If you are referring to British Patent #394,325, I've read it several times. And I'm not opining. I'm posting from quite a bit of experience here.

Also Blumlein's stereo microphone arrangement covers a certain type of microphone; i.e. a crossed pair of figure-of-eight mikes. I rarely have used it, preferring, instead an X-Y or a true stereo mike (such as a Telefunken ELA-M-270, or an Avantone CK-40) and on occasion some variation of an ORTF setup and very occasionally a mittle-seit (Mid-Side) setup. Since almost everything I have done has been before a live audience, I use cardioid pattern instead of figure-of-eight (except when I  do M-S, then the side mike is a figure-of-eight) because I need to exclude as much audience noise as it practicable.  

George

20 minutes ago, Blake said:

Warning off topic post!

And don't forget Frank's source- a generic laptop, with no external DAC in his system!  Therefore, I am assuming Frank is using the 1/8" headphone output jack of his laptop, then using a headphone jack to RCA splitter cable to his NAD amp.  What happened to soldering connections, etc. that Frank mentions all the time?

By the way,  I have no problems with Frank's setup.  I am no audio snob and I believe Frank means well (to be clear, I have no animosity for you Frank).  As long as Frank enjoys his system, that is great. But I find it perplexing because Frank is always preaching to the CA members about the need for optimizations and how his system achieves sonic nirvana.  Suddenly bad recordings miraculously sound good on his system.  Also, with Frank's setup, he claims the sound staging and imaging remains perfect, even when walking around the room, he gets identical sound as compared to sitting in the sweet spot.  

None of us have any real problem with Frank, except that he posts much and says little and his assertions are a very far-fetched and include more fantasy than they do reality. I will say that he has a powerful audio imagination. I expect that the frustration we feel because Frank won't tell us exactly what he does with his "method" is simply because it's all in his head. Perhaps his "fiddling" is real, but his results certainly aren't, they can't be. One can bend the laws of physics, but one can't break them (and one bends them at one's own peril).

George

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

re: breaking the laws of physics - they may well be broken inside a Black Hole, and Franks is very far down the Rabbit Hole...

We don't live inside of a black hole and we certainly don't listen to our stereo systems inside of one. But as you say, the laws of physics certainly don't exist down Frank's rabbit hole! That's for sure. 

George

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Those people with the braincells to join the dots should be able to note the common message, originating from a variety of people who have pursued a certain goal in audio, from a variety of angles - those who are fanboys of the established experts will be unable to see past this limiting of their vision ... will be interesting to see how this evolves, ^_^.

People who are fanboys of the established experts in aeronautics also are unable to see past the need for wings on aircraft too. This limits their vision. 

One thing about a certain type of audiophile that has always puzzled me. Every day, each one of us counts on engineers and engineering to get us to work and back, to keep our food from spoiling or homes warm, our computers working reliably, and thousands of aircraft flying all over the world. Yet theses same people question the engineering behind something as relatively simple as reproducing music in the home. We see posts like this one of Franks. The "established experts" don't know what they are talking about and are limiting our vision and theirs. It's just this sort of selective belief in the world of technology that makes a lot of audiophiles look like a bunch of kooks to the rest of the educated population.  

George

14 hours ago, fas42 said:

George, you keep reinforcing that you're a bit of a silly bugger, you know ... :D.

You just don't want to consider that some things in audio are more important than you currently think. Achieving a high standard of SQ requires being fastidious in ways you can't take seriously, and hence you always miss the intent of what I'm saying ... I would find it easy to achieve your standard of playback by not being fussy enough - but I'm not interested in compromising ...

Lemme correct that for you, Frank: "I just don't want to consider that some things in audio are more important than I currently know they are". And even if they were you certainly don't want to tell us what they are. What you have told us simply does not make the quantum leap in audio improvement that you assert!

George

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Everyone has their own perspective ... I have never, ever worried about "phase accuracy" - I would have to look it all up, right now, to get a handle on that stuff - many roads to Rome, etc ...

True, but Frank, you seem to be on your way to Brindisium! :)

George

20 hours ago, fas42 said:

I have, George, many, many times - it's low level distortion in the reproduction, noise if you prefer that term; caused by multiple weaknesses in the replay chain. And these have mentioned by me over and over again - and are addressed by most people to some degree, as you are happy to tell me many times. But not enough ...

Can't cause a quantum leap, eh? Let's try another analogy, which, horror of horrors, involves vehicles: police here have camera technology in their patrol cars which constantly 'hunts' for number plates in passing vehicles, registers the numbers, and does an immediate check in the big database for anything untoward - with no human input. Now let's say the camera lens was a bit dirty, the scanning algorithms were a bit glitchy, the camera mounting was wobbling from vibration of the engine, etc; just a combination of negatives which confused the number recognition process - it is now, completely useless ... a quantum leap, in the wrong direction!

Yes, that's how it works for our ears. Enough has to be working right for our heads to decode the input - and the tiniest imperfection will be sufficient for that processing to fail - I have been in the position of coaxing a rig to cross that barrier far too often, and the frustration of trying to find the one thing that's causing failure - you don't want to know about it!

Why do you keep assuming that everybody else's system is flawed, drowning in "low level noise and distortion", while your system and only your system is working correctly, and further that only you have the knowledge to make it so? 

Like I've said many times, I'll bet that most folks here have their systems sounding AT LEAST as good as yours does (and based on what you say yours consists of, from the source through to the speakers, Id say that most systems are a good deal better than yours) and I'd be willing to bet that my office system sounds better than the system you tout here a hundred times a day!

George

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

Do you experience completely invisible speakers, irrespective of what's being played back, and irrespective of where you're listening?

Well, this is possibly the silliest thing you have ever said, Frank. Of course not, and neither do you. If you insist that you do, you are either lying or hallucinating, or deranged. When I play back one of my own masters, I get as near to completely invisible speakers as I think modern audio can bring one, but it certainly isn't irrespective of what's being played back; that is a completely ridiculous assertion. I'd go so far as to say that if your system makes everything sound "good" irrespective of the quality of the equipment or the recordings, then your idea of good sound is not the same as what most of the rest of us think of as good sound, and that your system is probably very flawed. No system should homogenize all recordings to the point where they sound alike, good or poor.

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

If you have never achieved that, then you're not in the ballpark of what I'm after - a fully immersive soundscape, which can be as loud as your ears can handle without being damaged, while you remain completely at ease with all aspects of the SQ.

It's a nice goal to be after, but you can't be there nor can you get there from where you are. Not with your mid-fi equipment and a PC with a sound card (you don't even have a proper DAC, or so I'm given to understand) and "boom-box speakers".  

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

Interesting time at the audio friend down the road yesterday - there was of up and down in the quality that we were getting, and it took until the end of the session to realise where the 'bug' was. Yet it was peaking well enough to run Deep Purple's Machine Head at solid, intense volume - and the full soundscape of that production came through extremely well; I haven't heard another system apart from mine nail the presentation of this type of material as competently.

And again, you have said nothing. What was the "bug", Frank? And how can you tell what a system is doing, when you don't ever seem to listen to anything but studio produced music (at least you never mention anything else)? All artificial and electronically manipulated to a fare-thee-well. If that's all you use to judge your progress, It's impossible to actually get anywhere as most studio-made pop recordings are all over the place and no two groups have the same idea about what their "music" should sound like! How can you find a baseline with that kind of program material? It might fun, it might be your preferred music. But it's not real and says nothing about how a system should sound. 

George

15 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

There is one more possibility, that is that Frank is just pulling your chain. He has these delusional stories put together and has repeated them over and over, talking about his magic processes that will turn a Crosley toy into a high end reproducer. One that images in ways that no one else has ever heard before, etc, etc, etc. I've witnessed Frank play this game across a couple of audio websites over the last few years, getting lots of folks going while he sits in a chair LHAO.

IMHO he's just playing everyone a hoot and having the time of his life doing so. In the end he either has been banned or had so many put him on IGNORE that he moves somewhere else to play the Flim Flam Man game elsewhere.  LOL

Handle him as you deem appropriate. ;)

I have considered that possibility; that he's getting his laughs by looking like a fool. While certainly plausible, it just seems odd to me. But then Frank is an odd duck. I do revisit the possibility from time to time. Glad to know that I'm not the only person who has wondered about this. If so, talk about a strange subset of the audio hobby!

George

1 hour ago, MrD said:

It is entirely possible to produce a realistic soundstage and have the speakers and room completely disappear and listen entirely off axis on most recordings after 1960. This is a London Phase 4  digital transfer on a DAC and transport costing a $1000

You are aware that all Decca (London) Phase-4 recordings were recorded using dozens of microphones to 16-channel recorders? I read somewhere that they then mixed those 16 tracks down into 4 groups, two panned to the right channel and two panned to the left, with the centermost left and right group summed together for a phantom center. Hence the "Four" in Phase-4. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the sound of real music (some good performances, though!). 

George

19 hours ago, MrD said:

I wasn't born yesterday! Try again....DG Philips Angel Living Stereo Verve Columbia Reference Recording ect ect ect

It's all the same.....

Yes, at some point, every record company went the multi-track, multi-mike route. Too bad too as some great performances were marred by terrible sound: distorted strings, no imaging, improper balances, etc. 

George

On 10/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, fas42 said:

Exactly. What happens with high quality SQ is that there is no "best spot" - if I sit in the prescribed, correct position there is zero advantage to be gained. As Peter says, you can walk around, doing some useful things as well at the same time :D - the experience remains as captivating as it would locking oneself rigidly in one spot, not daring to move a muscle, in case some of the "magic" is lost ... :).

That's just wrong. Whether or not there's a "sweet spot" depends almost entirely on the speaker design and to a small extent, room acoustics. Some speakers are less critical in this regard than are others, but with some speakers the "hot seat" is just that and extremely rigidly so at that. I once had a wonderful sounding pair of ESL speakers from a company called Innersound. They sounded marvelous, but you had to use a flashlight to find the spot where your listening position intersected the speaker's radiation pattern. Once you found the place where you could see a flashlight beam (on top of your head) reflect equally from the center of each diaphragm back to where you were sitting, you had the angle of the speakers' toe-in and the distance just right. If you then sat in that exact spot and didn't MOVE A MUSCLE, you got glorious sound. But move your head one iota in any direction and the everything above about 5 KHz was gone. For a while I contemplated searching antique stores looking for one of thos

e head clamps 19th century photographers like Matthew Brady used to hold clients heads still while the incredibly slow photographic emulsions of the day, took their portraits! In the end I decided to get other speakers. Sure, that's an extreme example, easily the worst I've ever seen. I have heard other speakers do something similar (though not to that extreme) so, don't try to tell me that there is no such as a "sweet spot" because there is. I suspect that Frank's "boom-box" speakers that he's always bragging about don't have much in the way of tweeters, so naturally his high frequencies (such as they are) don't "beam." 

George

On 10/28/2018 at 2:52 AM, Blackmorec said:

You’re  trying to determine which of 2 presentations is best without having any idea what that presentation should sound like....no reference, just the comparison of 2 pairs of variables (although played on both systems the signal must be considered a variable due to its complexity and the way we listen).

That's not what DBTs are for. They are not for deciding which of two samples is "better", just if they are different. Better is a judgement call fraught with extraneous influences such as personal taste. One man's audio Holy Grail is another man's chipped coffee cup. But if two units under test truly sound different from one another (assuming that volumes are matched exactly - not that hard to do with digital sound level meter), then that difference should be immediately obvious. If there is no difference, that should be immediately obvious as well. 

George