IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Just came across this clip, noting the pluses of a high efficiency, old style speaker,

Did a bit of looking around, and discovered this chap who has a groovy pad,😀, with tweaked versions of them - which he drives with, for Pete's sake,  a Technics SA-GX690 receiver ... costing all of a few hundred dollars, used - disasterville? ... Well, here's a sample,

😕 As one who used a Technics SA-GX690 back in the 1990's, who ever said it would not sound fine feeding a high efficiency speaker like this?

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just fired up the Edifiers, after much cursing from the awkwardness of working in the tight space that the internal wiring afforded me, bypassing the mains on/off switch - ahh, good sound ... welcome, dear friend! ... Bit of Brendel recorded in the early 60's - piano, as piano should sound ...

Which Edifiers are these for those who might want to also try?

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

30 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The gory details are all here,

Great, thanks. I checked out the Edifier S2000 MkIII a little while back and it wasn't bad for the price and the capabilities were pretty good as well. Yeah, I think they can be optimized and tweaked...

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

How about talking about cables, then 🤪..

Hmmm, a first search at Archimago's site, for cables, and this was the first hit, https://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-toslink-optical-audio.html ... oh dear,

and

and

Ta da ... 😜

Absolutely no problem! And I'll do better for you right here and now 😱:

- Digital cables that pass 1's and 0's don't make a difference if bit-perfect. The Dr. Frank's SPDIF cable sounded fine and was worth every penny at a mere $4999.99 at the intro price!

- Smallish amounts of jitter make no audible difference. Not to say anyone should look for high-jitter products of course!

- Sometimes we see time shifts (like between S/PDIF and USB inputs), again, not audible but easily measured when present.

- And yes - BITS ARE BITS generally.

Of course, none of this has to do with XLR and RCA analog outputs and cables from the other thread, right? 😉

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, I thought you would pull out the "But, it's digital transmission!" card 😉 ... okay, I'll let you off lightly - but be warned, I might do a deeper dig for some telling, analogue cable, throwaway lines ... 🤪.

Hopefully, Kunchur can get some solid data when only the brand of analogue cable is changed; and then, venture into the very deep, and murky, waters of 'purely' a digital link. We quiver with anticipation ...

I suspect optical will always be the least problem ... I've only ventured into this with my current actives, and am just using the out of the box freebie, to connect to the DVD player - nothing indicates, so far, that it's limiting SQ.

Thank you for your mercy 😒.

"Digital transmission" is a useful "card". Happy to "hear" of any results you might find as you dig deeper...

Best regards...

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which says that you have missed the point I was making by miles ...

Can't say I've ever driven a Ferrari, but my brother had a Lotus Esprit a few years back and it sucked as a car driving experience for a guy like me who's more interested in comfort and luxury (perhaps echoing what @kumakuma is saying to some extent).

Anyhow, using a car analogy, if you are likening your technique with what the car designers and engineers are doing, I don't think they would use the word "magic" to describe the fine tuning of a sports car (the "system" you speak of). Everything is measured with precision whether to the mm, or kg, or millisecond, or rpm, or degree (angle and temperature)... Replacement parts are built to the exact specifications. It's about physics and the ability to replicate and evolve a design to certain clear objectives.

What kind of parameters are you fine tuning when achieving this "magic" you speak of? What forms the basis of your objectives (ie. what scientific domain)? Can you express the objectives clearly?

16 hours ago, opus101 said:

Guilt by association? Actually what he's saying is true based on subjective experience - small FR deviations make less subjective impression than additive noise - sibilance for example. Sibilance gives an uncomfortable experience in listening longer term but an HF boost/dip of a dB or two can be borne, subjectively.

Harping on about sibilance for a while longer - for me its the first and most obvious sign a system is under-performing subjectively but to date I've not seen any objectivist attempt to make a measurement of it or even talk about it much. Must be a lacuna.

Wondering @opus101 if you can give me an example of a musical track that you use to evaluate for sibilance?

Good topic and I think it'd be much more useful to have some specifics to test out the assertion that there's any kind of lacuna. Sibilance is something I've generally found to be a function of the recording itself rather than DAC or separate from the frequency response of one's other hardware like speakers...

21 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Generally sibilance issues are an artifact of the playback system, IME. But I do have one or two recordings that exhibit a sibilant flavour and one (that I have no idea of the whereabouts right now) that does demonstrate it on female voice, not just subjectively but in Audacity FFT too. I will look out these examples.

Cool, yeah, would love to have a listen to those examples!