IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I disagree. In some matters, there is no place for "balance." This includes those where an objective truth can be established. For example, men did land on the moon. That some lunatics insist otherwise does not make the notion of a "balanced" view or "middle ground" the least bit meaningful. Would you call those who believe the moon landings really took place extremists? What would a non-extreme position look like?

With MQA, every conceivable technical assessment finds it lacking compared to alternatives. The only thing it does uniquely is produce an "end to end" flow of cash into Stuart's pockets. All the alleged benefits to others are either false ("time domain" nonsense, etc.) or can be achieved more efficiently using royalty-free methods. Again, seeing the truth for what it is cannot be considered extremist.

If MQA actually delivered on even one of its claims, things would be different. Then it would be possible to consider a trade-off. As it stands, there is no trade in adopting MQA, only off.

Yes, but don't forget, it is not just sh!t, it is quality sh!t.

15 minutes ago, mansr said:

Where is this stated?

Hi,

The MQA paper :

A Hierarchical Approach to Archiving and Distribution

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17501

States that dispersion is blur :

"When considering the frequency and time responses of an end-to-end distribution channel, we must bear in mind that time dispersion or ‘blur’ can build up through a cascade of otherwise blameless components. Figure 3
illustrates the response of a cascade built up to eight stages, each with a 2nd-order roll-off at 30 kHz, possibly representing a microphone, preamplifier, mixer,....
"

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/02/musingsmeasurements-on-blurring-and-why.html#more

Deblurring is what is stated to be MQA's purpose.

Regards,

Shadders.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

They never state that their method fixes it.

Hi,

OK- so all the discussion on deblurring is wrong ? De-blurring is a non-existent issue created by the press ?

If that is the case, and MQA does not deblur, and their (MQA's) non-linear phase filters add dispersion, then MQA is the cause of blur/dispersion, and not the end-to-end solution it is stated to be.

Therefore, the revised question would be, if MQA cannot deblur, and MQA filters are non-linear which introduce dispersion which is greater than linear filters, then MQA distorts the music rather than ensures it is accurate ???

Regards,

Shadders.

9 minutes ago, Fokus said:

We've been through this before. If not here then on another forum. What MQA call

'dispersion' is any widening of a channel's impulse response, be it linear phase

or not. They fight it by replacing all filters in the channel with slow roll-off filters,

in some cases even no filters, in order to obtain a more compact impulse response.

Hi,

Not sure what the point is you are making. Since we do not listen to impulse responses, and music should be band limited on a CD etc., any non-linear filter has a worse effect than a linear filter in regards to dispersion. By MQA using non-linear filters, although they may have little memory (taps), still does not stop them from being non-linear.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, Archimago said:

Yeah...

Whatever the hell MQA is doing in the time domain, it doesn't seem to work and should be taken as such until they prove something of value!

Where's Bob Stuart when we really need him?! ?

Dahn the pub...

(you have to say the above with a cockney accent).

11 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:
To all
I've watched the video and all I can say is that unless you were there you got about 10% of the audience participation, ask Lee Scoggins and Rajiv. That's the fault of all of us, the moderator, me, the audience and the camera and mic folks.  Chris did his best in a very difficult situation and yes, with some hostile feedback from the audience including me (yes, I am the Brit in the blue T shirt) . For those of you mocking me, go ahead, for those of you mocking Edwin, the guy sitting next to me, you disgust me. It is obvious that he is blind, his white cane is in full view. By the way Brinkmanship I've added your clip to my profile, the grandkids love it.

At the end of the day the seminar was about the pros and cons of MQA, that's what Chris tried to present. In MY OPINION, that was not what his presentation was, it was biased against MQA, that is why he got the reaction that he did. Again in MY OPINION, he stated that it would be unbiased and it wasn't. I am in touch with Chris privately and I think we are good.

As to my position on MQA. I listen to MQA tracks on Tidal and  Red Book tracks on Tidal. I enjoy both and I love Tidal as a vehicle for me to listen to music I know and, to discover new music. Let  me give you an example, I wandered around RMAF with Shazam in hand. I got home and built a Tidal playlist of the Shazam tracks, it's great to listen to. Once Qobuz becomes available I'll sign up for it and then decide if I stay with one or go with both. I can not defend or support MQA technically, I don't have the necessary skills. At least one of you, maybe more, have said that they hope Tidal fails because of their support for MQA, I don't. Tidal and MQA will survive or fail based on customer demand and their finances. 

I have really enjoyed my time reading CA, I post very little but I have gotten a lot from it. I really enjoyed the bar time with Chris and other CA members at both Axpona and RMAF. Most of you are a good bunch and Chris has built a great brand and and is enjoying the success of his labors. I'm sure that it will continue. 

Hi,

The white stick is not noticeable until the end when it is moved. Yourself notices it, because you know it is there.

With regards to the pro's and cons, MQA do not publish any cons, so maybe, the "negative" aspects of the presentation were to balance the misinformation of MQA Ltd ? I did not see any cons - only exposure of the misinformation from MQA Ltd.  The slides are available on this web site - so you can see and challenge the con's if you so desire.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, Derek Hughes said:

Go to minute 33 and watch it again, the white cane is clearly visible. I've been in touch with Chris privately and I'll discuss his presentation with him privately if he wants to. As I said above, unless you were in the room you got about 10% of the audience participation.

Derek 

Hi,

The reason you are aware of the white stick is because you know it is there. For someone who is not really paying attention, it is very easily missed. People on this site are not that nasty.

Regards,

Shadders.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Most people talking to me are under NDA with MQA but believe so strongly that it’s a scam they will call me up to tell the truth

Hi,

As with other news in the US (Weinstein etc) it seems very worrying that criminal behaviour can be covered up using NDA's.

I do not understand why the law allows criminality to be covered up through legal agreements.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I don’t think it’s helpful to call this “criminal.” First, legally it’s not. Second, it allows people to dismiss whatever you might have to say that’s substantive. At least for me, substantive discussion, particularly about technical points, is what’s most helpful regarding MQA.

Hi Jud,

So scams are legal in the US. Live and learn i suppose.

EDIT :

I checked this on the web :

https://www.quora.com/How-illegal-is-scamming

Is MQA lying to the customers if they claim it is what the artist intended or heard, when it is not ?. This would be illegal. Hence criminal.

My interpretation is, if MQA have lied about any of the claims etc., then they have broken the law.

Regards,

Shadders.

43 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Only if you are installed as President.

I think Jud was saying that the case that MQA rises to the legal definition of scam (consumer fraud) is a difficult one to make, and there is no legal finding to justify that claim.

Compared to all of the overt consumer fraud in this hobby, I have to agree, while noting "we have not yet been convicted" is not a great marketing slogan.

Hi,

I get the consumer fraud that already exists - but then, they do not make claims that can disproven - they generally let the buyer make their own mind up - they just term their product special, or audiophile.

If MQA have made specific claims - and it seems that the reverse engineering has shown many lies - then surely these are a basis for formulating a legal challenge to MQA ?

Regards,

Shadders.

7 minutes ago, firedog said:

"artist" is a word open to lots of interpretation. You could more or less legitimately assign it to anyone involved in a meaningful way in the recording, mixing, and mastering of an album. 
Many musicians have little or zero input about what happens once they've played their bit in a studio and you could debate who the "artist" is who is most responsible for the final product released to the consumer. 

Hi,

Does not need to be only what the artist heard - can be the technical aspects which are false. I am not sure that the vagueness is there for MQA as per other Hifi products.

Regards,

Shadders.

33 minutes ago, rickca said:

And yet more manufacturers sign up to implement MQA.  How does MQA convince these guys?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mqa-announces-new-products-and-partners

Hi,

My interpretation is that the manufacturers are informed that DRM is coming to audio for streaming, and that MQA will be the only format streamed, or downloadable in the future - the record labels have signed up to this too. Someone published the MQA investors - which included Sony etc.

Whether you like it or not, the record labels are going to implement the same control over audio as per DVD etc. Why should audio be any different ?.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

I chalk it up to dumb momentum.  Streaming providers don't need MQA to implement encryption or any other form of control.  The status quo, where they all implement their own schemes is good enough.  Why would they want to pay MQA do what they already do more effectively?

I suppose it's possible that these manufacturers have inside information that says that the labels are going to require MQA, but I think this is a stretch of a speculation at this point...

Hi,

I think it is because the record labels decide the future - and a DRM managed business for audio is what the want. Their greed probably makes them concerned that streaming means people can copy the streamed data, and so people will distribute high resolution files - as per napster.

If you examine the requirement that each manufacturer has to divulge their design etc., the implementation is quite restricted, so copying the decoded data is difficult.

It is just a slow migration to DRM for audio.

Regards,

Shadders.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

On the contrary. Intercepting the decoded output from software like the Tidal app or Audirvana is trivial using off the shelf tools.

Hi,

Not every one can do this, and if you have a DAC with MQA designed in - MQA are ensuring it is difficult to offer MQA decoded digital output.

Anything is possible - but they are making it hard for most people.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Hi Shadders - Don’t know what your area of expertise is. But imagine you were reading something that a layperson had written, giving their opinion about that area when they were clueless. You might then understand how I feel after 39 years as a US lawyer, reading a layperson’s opinion about a point of US law.

Are you a US resident? US law is very much more lenient about marketing hyperbole (or even BS) than the UK, for example.

Hi Jud,

No,  not in the US - the UK. Since i used the internet for US law - i do not know whether we are stricter - but the UK ASA has reprimanded hifi retailers/sellers for false claims etc.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

That proves Jud's point.  I cannot imagine such a reprimand happening in the US market for hifi. 

Hi,

Yes - we do, in the UK have some good consumer laws :

"Under EU law, consumers are offered a two-year guarantee in which sellers must repair or replace a faulty or not-fit-for-purpose item, but this right is trumped by the six-year warranty in the UK's own legislation. The right applies to any goods sold in the UK, so online retailers must also comply"

Regards,

Shadders.

17 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

In fact, you would be writing something in your own publication that disputes everything that Chris has said and showing real objective data to prove it.  Yet again, you choose to wank around on here.  It's that simple regardless how you might think. 

Hi,

I do believe the translation of the word "wank" has been misinterpreted when it was exported to the USA, or other.

One can have a "wank", which is a rather pleasurable experience. What is the difference between an egg and a "wank" ?. You can beat an egg.

One can call another person a "wanker" which is derisory, but in a nice way. Similar to calling someone a "dipstick", it is meant to infer stupidity, or silly behaviour.

The term you may wish to use is "fannying around", where this means dilly dallying, or even "prevaricating", with disruptive intent possibly.

Regards,

Shadders.