IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

10 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

3.  Ken has an issue with Archimago being anonymous.  I am less bothered by this but I feel he has a good point.  Hiding behind a user ID is unnecessary and cowardly when good people are trying to have an honest debate.

Perhaps Ken would like the address too? Is he trying to arrange a hit?

mQa is dead!

8 hours ago, Shadorne said:

PCM 24/96 is already a perfectly good format for the foreseeable future. SACD wasn’t necessary and neither is DSD. Give us better mix/masters - ones that aren’t overly compressed to the extent it really ruins audio quality. (I am not against tasteful compression in pop/rock but we are far beyond that in most cases) 

I've noted that for DSD files there always appears to be more headroom -- never gets anywhere close to or over 0 dbms.  I cannot say the same thing for PCM files.

mQa is dead!

10 minutes ago, sls said:

3) Streaming is better than CDs

As I see it, the fundamental problem with MQA is that there ABSOLUTELY NOTHING obvious to the average potential consumer why they should buy it. It just serves no purpose. They go on about "education" of the consumer, but completely miss the point that if they have to explain why the consumer should buy it the product has failed already. 

Apparently, they don't think they need to convince the consumers; they convinced the major labels, some equipment manufacturers, and TIDAL -- it's incorporated in TIDAL (streaming service). Presumably the less informed TIDAL subscriber will not even notice. The real problem is or was that the format could replace existing formats. But now it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I do believe the translation of the word "wank" has been misinterpreted when it was exported to the USA, or other.

One can have a "wank", which is a rather pleasurable experience. What is the difference between an egg and a "wank" ?. You can beat an egg.

One can call another person a "wanker" which is derisory, but in a nice way. Similar to calling someone a "dipstick", it is meant to infer stupidity, or silly behaviour.

The term you may wish to use is "fannying around", where this means dilly dallying, or even "prevaricating", with disruptive intent possibly.

Regards,

Shadders.

wank·er
ˈwaNGkər/
noun
vulgar slangBritish
noun: wanker; plural noun: wankers
  1. a person who masturbates (used as a term of abuse).

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Hugo9000 said:

The idea would be that there should be a "Chinese wall" between the editorial and advertising sides of a magazine to prevent any conflicts of interest or appearance of impropriety.  (To prevent accusations or suspicions of "bought" reviews:  "Here is your glowing review in exchange for your lovely new ad!")

A Chinese Wall seems unreasonable.  JA would have to refrain from picking up Stereophile for fear of discovering the advertisers and he'd have to refrain from talking to folks in the industry for fear they may be advertisers, and he'd have to refrain from talking to subscribers and "audiophiles", etc. This is absurd.

mQa is dead!

15 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

No, that is not accurate.  I worked at Chesky Records in the 90s on roughly two dozen sessions in roles ranging from production assistant to assistant producer.  I also helped on strategy for the company in the early to mid 2000s.  I have recorded several orchestras in Atlanta and many jazz sessions.

Most of the recording engineers I meet are very particular about the ADC they use.  They tend to use one model until they find something better.  So if you know the engineer and the time period, I can guess the ADC.  All the MQA guys have done is figure out the distortions in the ADCs and have engineered a filter to correct them.

Thanks for the correction.  Perhaps recording for orchestras and jazz sessions differs from pop music?  What about multitrack recording? Also, what if the signal is fed through the ADC more than once? 

mQa is dead!

21 minutes ago, firedog said:

And btw, the Mytek DAC plays back all material with MQA filters once MQA is activated, unless you manually go in and switch the filtering each time. So did you do that, or did you cripple the demo of the non-MQA files by playing them back with the inappropriate MQA filters? 

Correction -- the Mytek DAC plays back all PCM material with the MQA filter once MQA is activated; DSD material is not affected and will be played back with the DSD filter as set for DSD.

mQa is dead!

4 minutes ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I'm not saying the labels have no history in DRM interest.  I just think it's not a driving factor here.  I think it's about revenue and having more cash flow to pay off debt.  And probably also to drive the business more to the digital world.

The goals of DRM and revenue generation are consistent.

What does "drive the business more to the digital world" mean?

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Many of the labels carry heavy debt loads.  As a result they are focused on revenue growth.  MQA is a way to sell premium pricing in exchange for better quality sound.

It's not like the labels' contracts with bands resulted in bands accumulating debt with every release thanks to promotional costs, recording bills and advances labels recoup?  And it's not like the labels have treated consumers as poorly as they’ve treated artists?

mQa is dead!