IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

"Qobuz is still Unobtainium in the U.S.  I think they're just trolling us."

It's possible Jay Z and his little band of street gangsters have intimidated the powers at Qobuz and they're having second thoughts. ?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

So far, results are mixed; while Tidal as a whole doesn't seem to be getting on like a house afire, it appears they've managed to sign up about 30,000 or so USA members to the MQA tier,

Not being a Tidal sub I have to ask, is that a MQA tier, a HD tier, or the combined RB or better tier?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

46 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I think people are worried consumers don't want even CD quality. Spotify has been test marketing for a while and people aren't willing to pay for it.

I don't necessarily disagree but do wonder where you got that info on people not being willing to pay?  Spotify ran a extremely short test that almost no one got a chance to sign up for.  There is a ongoing 214 page thread at Spotify forums begging for a lossless stream which yet to be instated. Too bad really since IMO Spotify has the best UI that I've seen so far. Ongoing BTW since 2014  :(

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-HiFi-Quality-Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44-1khz/idi-p/700006#comments

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Jud says there are 30000 subscribers in the US. It still remains to be determined how many are only there b/c of MQA. And how many of those were there before MQA was added? 
 I'd guess CD quality streaming with millions of tracks is more important to most subscribers to "hi-fi" than MQA is. 

Thanks, that's what I thought.

There's no way to ever determine the percentage that signed up b/c of MQA. Even if  Tidal revealed the before and after MQA numbers you still don't know if it's MQA or just natural growth with time?  I could be wrong but I very much doubt the "for MQA"

are at all significant and then how many of them was strictly out of curiosity.

10 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Spotify did and may still be doing test marketing on CD quality streaming. There was a lot of resistance to even $15 a month. 

214 pages at what 10 users a page is not impressive.

Like I said, I didn't disagree.  Just thought you may have read somewhere a statement from Spotify that response was poor.  I've followed fairly closely since I'd very much like them to introduce a lossless tier.

The lossless tier test was so short and secretive to almost be a myth. As I understand it a  test group of individuals were selected and invited to test it.

And then it was gone. ???

Honestly all it's amounted to is a bunch of test marketing interest talk.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Consumer demand or not, do you think we are getting 8K video content in the next few years? I think it's inevitable even though nobody wants it. The content producers and component manufacturers will deliver it and we'll be stuck with it. Change for commerce sake is such low hanging fruit that those looking to make quarterly numbers for shareholders just can't resist. 

Oh yea, we'll get 8k at some point but that may be slow coming.

The fact that no one needs it is irrelevant, it may sell TV's and 8k players.

But the bandwidth involved may slow it's intro, both on disc and streaming.

We'll see

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Is that an argument for MQVideo ?

Only if I can get a kool Authenticated light that tells me the deblurschitt magic dust is being applied. ;)

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Is there really anything meaningful left to say that hasn't already been said in this 87 page thread ?

Yes I think so. If for no other reason than to have fresh time stamped posts for search engines to lock onto. There are few other places where the truth of MQA can be found and personally I'd like this thread/site to be near the top of the list when folks search for MQA info.