IGNORED

John Atkinson: Yes, MQA IS Elegant...

Here's an example impulse response of a linear phase filter creating a sharp 6 dB dip between 1 kHz and 2 kHz at a sample rate of 48 kHz:

notch-6db.thumb.png.66de74df7107fef7e993f93c340119b4.png

The time axis is marked in seconds.

Here's the frequency response:

notch-6db-fr.thumb.png.694c5a64a644793fe9ff9fbcd2512519.png

The peak amplitude of the ripple is about -34 dB. That means the "ringing" will be 34 dB below whatever content the signal has at those frequencies. The zip file attached to this post contains two files. One consists of this impulse response repeated 10 times, the other the equivalent minimum phase response. See if you can hear any difference.

This is for illustration only. A realistic correction filter wouldn't have such steep transitions and thus less "ringing."

p.zip

13 minutes ago, Hifi Bob said:

Not so—have a read of http://www.dspguide.com/ch17.htm

Didn't see anything I recognized immediately as relevant to room correction there. Could you explain further?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@mansr - possible to also provide two files, one with min phase left channel, linear phase right channel simultaneously, and the other with channels reversed? 

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Didn't see anything I recognized immediately as relevant to room correction there. Could you explain further?

Hi Jud,

I had a quick read - they are using the proposed frequency response to generate a single filter. The response is likely to be the inverse of the room measurement.

From the matlab wedsite - seems to be the same example :

https://uk.mathworks.com/help/dsp/examples/arbitrary-magnitude-filter-design.html

FIR Modeling with the Frequency Sampling Method

This section illustrates a case where the amplitude of the filter is defined over the complete Nyquist range (there are no relaxed or "don't care" regions). The example that follows uses a single (full) band specification type and the robust frequency sampling algorithm to design a filter whose amplitude is defined over three sections: a sinusoidal section, a piecewise linear section and a quadratic section. It is necessary to select a large filter order because the shape of the filter is quite complicated:

The REW system etc., allows you to remove sections of the equalisation, such as bass frequencies that have been amplified (neighbours), and implement your required granularity for the spectrum modifications.

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

I had a quick read - they are using the proposed frequency response to generate a single filter. The response is likely to be the inverse of the room measurement.

Simply put, to create a room compensation filter, you take the measure response, invert it, and compute the inverse Fourier transform. This gives you the impulse response.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Simply put, to create a room compensation filter, you take the measure response, invert it, and compute the inverse Fourier transform. This gives you the impulse response.

I'm with Jud in that there appears to be more than one (I have counted 3 so far) definitions of "phase" and "impulse response" being used on the last couple of pages of this thread.  Perhaps "definition" is not the right word, but it is confusing when the same terms get applied to instances that our so different.  The math is the unifying factor I presume...

Also, have we not come to the conclusion that the impulse that JA used to illicit "ringing" in his article is in fact an "illegal" frequency outside of the 20-20 band limit?  This the the use case of "impulse response" as related to "ringing" and filter design and thus "phase" of said filters, not convolution related to room correction no?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi Jud,

From the matlab wedsite - seems to be the same example :

https://uk.mathworks.com/help/dsp/examples/arbitrary-magnitude-filter-design.html

FIR Modeling with the Frequency Sampling Method

This section illustrates a case where the amplitude of the filter is defined over the complete Nyquist range (there are no relaxed or "don't care" regions). The example that follows uses a single (full) band specification type and the robust frequency sampling algorithm to design a filter whose amplitude is defined over three sections: a sinusoidal section, a piecewise linear section and a quadratic section. It is necessary to select a large filter order because the shape of the filter is quite complicated:

The REW system etc., allows you to remove sections of the equalisation, such as bass frequencies that have been amplified (neighbours), and implement your required granularity for the spectrum modifications.

Regards,

Shadders.

My error.  I was automatically thinking of room correction filters as dealing with separate frequency ranges, but the implementation can be done with a single filter.

5 hours ago, mansr said:

That doesn't make much sense. The output of an IIR filter is a linear combination of input samples and previous output samples. FIR filters use only input samples to create the output, making them a subset of IIR filters. If anything IIR filters are more "powerful" since they can achieve things impossible with FIR. For example, an impulse response consisting of a step function is trivial as an IIR (current input + previous output). IIR filters can also be unstable and oscillate or increase without bound. Some FIR filters have an equivalent IIR filter with fewer taps, which is cheaper to realise. This probably what they are referring to in the last bit.

what do you think of Cascaded integrator–comb filter ? doesn't moving average promoted by Ayre belong to that family?

1 hour ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

what do you think of Cascaded integrator–comb filter ? doesn't moving average promoted by Ayre belong to that family?

A moving average filter has a rectangular impulse response. Its Fourier transform is the sinc function scaled by the width of the rectangle.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

As you noted, there is disagreement.  Some folks (including people not from the Meridian/MQA school) who actually do have some education and training in filter design use minimum phase filters because they think pre-ringing makes transients sound incorrect (since pre-ringing doesn't occur in nature).  Other folks agree with you and Rob Watts.  I hope to figure out a little more regarding what folks are disagreeing about by asking questions. 

Two points here.

1. Can a min phase filter do a perfect reconstruction job?  Look at this example.  I have a microphone feed with an upper bandwidth of 40 KHz.  I make a recording at 24/96.  Note that since the signal is band limited below 48 KHz, there will not be filter ringing.  Now I use a min phase filter to reconstruct the signal.  What I get will be distorted in phase.  If I use a lin phase filter for reconstruction, I shall not get distortion in amplitude and phase in the reconstructed signal.

2. If a recording engineer or producer is ill informed enough to use a brickwall filter to band limit a signal, he will capture the ringing of the filter.  In this case using min phase filters may make this brickwall limited signal sound less bad.  Personally if I come across such a recording (one should be able to tell ringing at 22.05 KHz on a spectral display) I shall just say goodbye to it.

2 minutes ago, vl said:

I agree.  Do FIR and IIR filters have the same impulse response?

Any response that decays to zero can be implemented as a FIR filter. It may be possible to achieve the same response more efficiently using an IIR structure. Categorically stating that FIR sounds better than IIR is a mistake.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Any response that decays to zero can be implemented as a FIR filter. It may be possible to achieve the same response more efficiently using an IIR structure. Categorically stating that FIR sounds better than IIR is a mistake.

Thanks for the explanation.  Let me clarify that the same 4th order 200 Hz LP and HP crossovers created by rePhase at a 96K sampling rate demonstrated that the FIR version sounded better - in transients and details.

12 hours ago, Shadders said:

In terms of a rooms equalisation, where there are many peaks and troughs, and as per the text in their website - they use multiple filters.

But that does not mean that band-splitting is going on. It also does not mean that any of these filters need to be of very high steepness.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:41 AM, crenca said:

Most of my listening (must be >90% now) is HP's, so no crossover (though I tend to use software crossfeed - a complicating factor?).  I am liking the sound of upper frequencies like cymbal, brass, etc. now that I am using  linear or "zero" phase most of the time, they seem to bring these out in a more accurate way, whereas there is a "smear", or softness when I use minimum phase.  I also think strings seem more subtly accurate as well. By upsampling everything to DXD and using the quality filters in HQPlayer, I am probably getting just about the best out of linear phase.  All this is andoctotal only...

Drive-by comment: Crossfeed is literally feeding some of the signal from the other channel, with a time lag if done properly, which I imagine the digital crossfeed would do. It is literally an overlay on the time domain so if anything I would think that it would make time smearing comparisons harder.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

7 hours ago, mansr said:

A moving average filter has a rectangular impulse response. Its Fourier transform is the sinc function scaled by the width of the rectangle.

Yesterday I switched to CIC as integrator in HQPlayer and liked it ; so you mean it can't sound better but for it's new and a change to my ears and that it has a different impulse response than IIR and FIR and sounds... square ?

4 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Yesterday I switched to CIC as integrator in HQPlayer and liked it ; so you mean it can't sound better but for it's new and a change to my ears and that it has a different impulse response than IIR and FIR and sounds... square ?

I mean nothing of the kind.