IGNORED

My best demo albums

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

One memory is of a setup with top of the range panel speakers, with a colossal power amp that required about 4 people to move it - put on a classic Frank Sinatra CD ... gawd, it was awful!! Poor Frank, he didn't stand a chance ...

OK, Frank, I'll bite. What was wrong with the audio presentation of these top-of-the-range panel speakers and this colossal power amp that made Ol' Blue Eyes sound so bad?

George

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

To give just one example that I have mentioned over and over again - the quality of metal to metal contacts which are exposed to the atmosphere. This is crucial for getting optimum sound - it was probably the number one reason for first nailing Wow! SQ three decades ago.

Frank, no connections SHOULD be exposed to the atmosphere. RCAs should be gas tight. The pin should fight tightly to the inside of the jack, and the shield should fight tightly over the barrel of the jack. Spade-lugs should be screwed down tight on both the amp and the speaker terminals. If you are paranoid about such things, you should probably apply Stabilant 22A to all of your connector interfaces. If you find that this makes a difference, you've got bad interconnects because quality interconnect plugs and jacks don't need it. I used to Stabilant treat my interconnects every time I broke and remade a connection. I stopped when I realized that it didn't change the sound at all!* I just make sure I squeeze the barrels on the cables a little when I'm mating connectors to insure a tight fit and I make sure my spade lugs or banana plugs tight fit on speaker and amplifier. 

* yet Satbilant does work. My Alfa had a flakey tachometer. Sometimes it would work. sometimes it wouldn't. I would take it out and try to clean the connector's mating parts with contact cleaner, put it back together, and still, it would be intermittent. So I got the idea to try Stabilant. After all, if the stuff has a Military spec number, a NASA spec number and an SAE and Automobile Manufacturer's Association part number, it must do something, right? So I painted each metal mating surface with the Stabiant and that was 10 years ago. The Tach has never failed again. 

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Umm, just about everything ... it was one of the late 50's albums, with the full big band backing. The sound was "tiny", the tonality of all the instruments was way off the mark, and Frank's voice was so far from being 'right' - I was quite disturbed that such an ambitious rig could miss the mark so much.

These classic albums should have Big Sound: the big band is in full cry; rich, enveloping 50's recording texture and Frank's voice should present all the distinctive trademarks that it had, while retaining that intimate, communicative phrasing that he was famous for.

Could that have not have been the recording? I own the set of Franky's capitol years, and some of them are pretty thin sounding. One has to keep in mind that the recording tape used in those days (Scotch 206, and the Ampex equivalent) was pretty primitive and a lot of recordings made in those days haven't survived the years very well! 

George

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Two things normally got wrong for cheap speakers: they're driven by cheap amps, and they're plunked down on a convenient surface, with no effort made to stabilise them. Take care of those two areas, and the sound can start to blossom ...

Blossom, Shlossom! Genrally speaking, one can't make a purse from a sow's ear, and one can't get high-class sound from cheap speakers by driving them with Pass amplifiers and blu-tacking them to stands!

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

You still can't get that I have listened to large numbers of systems with mega speakers - to make sure that I had good reference points - and the number that had any postive impact on me can be counted on the fingers of one hand ... usually the first test track told me the story, and I lost interest in hearing further. A rig has to be able to present a soundstage as big as what was recorded, and nearly everything fails on that alone.

Frank, I believe that you have listened to all kinds of systems. And I agree that just plunking down the change for a big system doesn't insure great sound. Some actual thought has to be put into choosing compatible products. For example, one shouldn't pair a phono cartridge with sharply rising top end with speakers that have an over abundance of treble. I don't car ho much such a system costs , it's not going to sound right. Conversely, a component with weak bass is not going to sound satisfying on the bottom bo matter how good the sub-woofer is. 

I also think that you have an idea in your mind what constitutes good sound and if a system doesn't sound like you want it to, you won't like it.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Speakers only need to be big for the bass driver to produce a decent FR, that's the only reason.

Of course, but don't forget that the bottom end is a large part of the reason we listen to music. It is not unimportant. I have heard systems with good "stand' type speakers like this made by Magico, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio and KEF, etc. and yes, they do many things well - above 60 Hz! But to be real high-end contenders they need subwoofers, and not just ONE either. They need two. The days when all the bass was in the left channel of LP are gone. Digital can have bass in both channels.

George

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Have you been to a nightclub recently? Because if you really have then you earn real streetcred points ?

But no, if your eardrums would've been destroyed in a matter of minutes then you couldn't have spent any time in a real nightclub?

Jus' sayin' because I do believe @gmgraves has actually been to all the places he claims to have been -- which is why he is still an avowed bachelor ... ? ... no, scratch that because in my experience young women congregate wherever music is playing ... ?

Fat lot of good that will do you unless you are a handsome, buff young man. Me, I'm none of those things...

George

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

As I've mentioned several times, I tried that route decades ago - and, it doesn't work; in the sense of maintaining the integrity to a high enough level over a longer term. The only proven solutions, for me, is soldering, and using a silver paste or paint treatment, the latter done extremely carefully. And I always do this first thing - I made sure the current NAD setup worked when I first got it, by plugging it together as one normally would, but it sounded pretty hideous - right! Get in there and sort out those connections ...

I'm sorry Frank, I just don't believe it. I could see it maybe making a teeny-tiny difference, but basically a tertiary effect, not the game changer you make it out to be. I have found that most of the "earth-shattering" tweaks that most audiophiles rave about are wildly over exaggerated and the real effect is usually barely discernible (if it's there at all). 

George

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Would make sense if I hadn't heard that particular CD sounding as good as it had done on my setups! Those classic Sinatra efforts are very, very impressive - good show off material for a well sorted rig.

Well, I have all of them on LP as well as on CD, and while I like to hear Sinatra sing, I'm not impressed with Capitol Records early stereo pop efforts at all. You and I must have wildly different standards for what constitutes good program material. I know that you like the kind of pop material that I would warp into plant holders (LP) or make a hanging mobile out of (CD) but would never listen to.

George

18 hours ago, fas42 said:

Still trying to get through ... the job of the chain is to sustain a 100 lbs pull, without failing - if a single link is only at the 95 lbs strength level, then the chain will simply not do its job. Just think of it like this - a good connection "adds" another 5 lbs of strength to that link - Bingo!! Success!!!

You can't get through, Frank, 

because you never say anything. You talk constantly in vague circular generalities. As STC said in another thread, you've produced no pictures of your setup, no specifications and no third party verification of how magnificent your system sounds.

Good connections is nonsense again. Decent RCAs give excellent connections. One just has to make sure that they are good and tight tight. 

Each thing on its own is "tiny", but if not right does enough damage - you lose the quality you're chasing ...

And the sum of all of these things is pretty small too. Like I said, a tertiary effect at best. Except for the idiocy of soldering one's components together (I hope you are using silver solder. Hate to think that tin and lead is making that chain of yours weak) I'll bet that every audiophile on this forum has done the same things you have done. After all, there's only so much one can do. 

I live in the world where a rig has something like 90 to 100 lbs "pulling" capacity - and I work on what is holding it back from reaching the 100 mark, solidly. It might seem a bit bizarre that it is so essential to reach a very specific standard - but that's just the way it is ... I have spent decades looking at this, and I haven't found any shortcuts.

You live in a world where it's all in your head, Frank, I'm sure that you think that your conjuring and voodoo have resulted in a system that is second to none.

George

21 hours ago, fas42 said:

If you have, why can't you listen to any type of album and enjoy them as a musical experience - in the same way as if you were present with the musicians, and not heard via a PA system?

I can't enjoy any type of album as a musical experience, because for me, the music is coming from speakers and headphones, and not swirling around inside my head! And a poor recording is simply not enjoyable! 

I never hear any music via a PA System because I walk-out if I see PA speakers anywhere near the musicians. If the speakers are hidden, and I see microphones (other than my own) I ask the management what is their purpose, if management says for broadcast of for recordings, OK, but if they say it's for sound reinforcement, I ask for my money back, if any, and I walk out. I usually tell the manager that if i wanted to listen to music from speakers, I could just stay home! I don't know where you get the idea that I hear musicians through a PA system???!!! 

George