IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Would love @mitchco‘s advice on the complete system like Bill mentioned above  and some passive options. 

@Jud what say you, Vandersteen?

That would have been my suggestion as well.  Go active.  From your other comments I took it that you didn't want to go in that direction. 

Sal's suggestion is a good one, the JBL M2's.  They have a dedicated amp, but can be used with other amps.  It is a complete system however that includes their amp, their DSP, and speakers.  

Should one suggest a 5 channel system has some advantages since there is streaming of multi-channel recordings available?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, rando said:

I'll come out against an active system.  You could replace it in Germany every year for the foreseeable future.  Maybe even have reason to before the manufacture timeline is met.  Eschew but review would be a forward thinking policy where this developing segment is concerned.  

Would you have applied this idea to the first 15 years of DACs when the improvements were rapid?  I would hope not. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

54 minutes ago, firedog said:

You don't need the BXT for "full range". Interestingly, the published specs have  been changed from 20hz at the low end to "only" 30hz. But the Kiis without the BXT have been measured as "full range".

You do need the BTX if you want to play very loudly or to fill a large room. It  also adds a significant amount to the maximum SPL output of the system. I'm sure dynamics for something like an orchestral piece are improved with the added bass module, and bass distortion at low frequencies/high output is surely reduced. Apparently the modules also further reduce various room interactions (ceiling and floor). 

Yes, the measurement from Kal's review pair without the BXT.  The low end hump is a measurement artifact. Pretty much full range. 

917Kii3fig3.jpg

But you wouldn't want to handicap Chris' new setup now would you? :)

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Like maybe Magico?  What is it about your TAD CR1 that needs improvement?

Hey I put in Magico.  Suggested the Q or S series.  

• 7 months later...