IGNORED

pico power?

23 minutes ago, TubeMan said:

better components,
better design,
better sound,

bills.png High Voltage Endurance SANYO and Fujitsu Solid State Capacitors

bills.png 16V-24V wide range voltage input support, 6 layer 2oz copper PCB

bills.png Germany Würth Elektronik High Current Inductance, Smooth Response Curve for Peak Load

bills.png Infineon MOSFET, TI Control Chip, WIMA Audio Grade Capacitor

I see. very good!

13 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

exactly!...

..."BUT!" ~ input is "16V-24V wide range voltage input support", where do you get the 19V from?

Their previous converter boards were always 19V, and the output of their ATX LPS meant to be used with this new board is 19V.  Regardless, the 16-24V is all stepped down with DC-DC switching regulators as I said.  Not a terrible thing mind you; I just wanted to put it into perspective versus the 12V pass-through of a PicoPSU used with a 12V LPS.

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Their previous converter boards were always 19V, and the output of their ATX LPS meant to be used with this new board is 19V.  Regardless, the 16-24V is all stepped down with DC-DC switching regulators as I said.  Not a terrible thing mind you; I just wanted to put it into perspective versus the 12V pass-through of a PicoPSU used with a 12V LPS.

yes - thanks!

8 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Everytime I find someone on forums that "build there own" and ask them to build me something, there is always a reason why they can no longer do that! Can you build me an ATX linear PSU?

I dont worry about ATX supplies because I isolate my PC with a network renderer/NAA which needs low power.

As good as a Paul Hynes test figures (if there are any?)

don't know if anyone as ever bothered to compare the likes of Paul Hynes to the chinese “ultra el-cheapos”?

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-100VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-Power-supply-ouptut-9v-12v-19v-24v-etc/221884083511?hash=item33a9526d37%3Ag%3At8cAAOSwuTxV9QXt&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=ultra+low+noise+linear+power+supply+r-core&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1

you think these are good?

Many thanks!

That’s probably a reasonable one. It’s probable good enough to power the pico and avoid the major problems with cheap wall wart. 

How much power does your device draw? If you only need 1amp then the UpTone LPS is a great option. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

12 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Ummm? Well, these seem to be all chinese? prices are good, most lack long descriptions, some even lack the basics! One or two are more detailed. Saying "ultra-low" is one thing, but none of them give ripple/noise/broadband impedance i.e. NO FIGURES!

But you say they are good and your system sounds great?

Is it the case that if they had the name "dCS" on them with really fancy advertising/description, they would cost thousands?

Prices are LOW due to cheap labour? (& "no name" goods)....

Can these really be as good as Paul Hynes etc!

It's like pour the money down the drain by buying a super expensive LPS (Paul Hynes etc) for to power a Pico. If you have chosen to use Pico, you can power it with anything that provides fairly pure DC. But to power it with SMPS (power bricks) will cause audible deterioration. If someone considers Pico sounds good it's really subjective. Many factors that affect on what you are experiencing. I just assert that there are better options than Pico.

16 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

"Pico instead it creates jitter from high frequency impact on other parts." Maybe that's were the DIY comes in? e.g. a jitter reducing component after the PICO, but before the mobo (with a 24 pin extension cable). i.e. put the jitter component in the extension cable (in line)?

No, I think you misunderstand. I don’t mean that jitter are created in the pico itself, which is impossible. Instead, HF interference that come from pico can create jitter in other parts of the system, especially clock circuits and the like. I actually think that's what I experienced when I heard it was worse sound. For the same reason, I don't believe it's so immensely important with the absolute best and cleanest power feed to a pico, at least not as long as it's linear. I absolutely didn’t hear any difference between different linear power sources, not even batteries.

9 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Everytime I find someone on forums that "build there own" and ask them to build me something, there is always a reason why they can no longer do that! Can you build me an ATX linear PSU?

As good as a Paul Hynes test figures (if there are any?)

don't know if anyone as ever bothered to compare the likes of Paul Hynes to the chinese “ultra el-cheapos”?

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-100VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-Power-supply-ouptut-9v-12v-19v-24v-etc/221884083511?hash=item33a9526d37%3Ag%3At8cAAOSwuTxV9QXt&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=ultra+low+noise+linear+power+supply+r-core&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1

you think these are good?

Many thanks!

Four such and you have a full rail LPS (ATX compatible). You need 3.3V, 5V and two with 12V. It's not as hard as you think with a little DIY ;)

2 hours ago, Tomslin said:

I don’t mean that jitter are created in the pico itself, which is impossible. Instead, HF interference that come from pico can create jitter in other parts of the system, especially clock circuits and the like. 

Yes but realize that there are on board DC/DC converters and perhaps on-chip. 1.8V and 1.2V are common for signals and memory. So no matter what you do, unless you design your own board, or modify a board such as an RPi, you are going to have DC/DC switching (which is the pico)

http://www.ldovr.com/category-s/122.htm

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Yes but realize that there are on board DC/DC converters and perhaps on-chip. 1.8V and 1.2V are common for signals and memory. So no matter what you do, unless you design your own board, or modify a board such as an RPi, you are going to have DC/DC switching (which is the pico)

http://www.ldovr.com/category-s/122.htm

Yes, I’m fully aware that there are lots of "DC/DC converters" on the motherboard. Just as you say, we can’t do much about it. But in fact, it will anyway be better if we minimize the sources of interference. Pico is a source for to inject interference, and it's no secret about it. But if everyone can perceive it as worse SQ or not is a completely different issue. Probably not, I would say.

This new 200W LPS from HDPLEX may be of interest to readers of this thread

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/46748-new-hdplex-200w-lps/?tab=comments#comment-853411

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

I dont worry about ATX supplies because I isolate my PC with a network renderer/NAA which needs low power.

That’s probably a reasonable one. It’s probable good enough to power the pico and avoid the major problems with cheap wall wart. 

How much power does your device draw? If you only need 1amp then the UpTone LPS is a great option. 

Wattage: (micro ATX mobo)

Boot: 56w MAX.
Idle: 29w normal/spike 32-38w
Low use: 38w normal/spike 41w (music playback)
High use: ? (I don't 'rip', 'burn' or 'convert' files on this machine). Even after booting all of windows built-in apps + my music files running, power consumption did not exceed 41w. The only independent app. I have on this machine is "Crap Cleaner". I do not use it for any type of office products, games, HD motion movies, 3D, CAD etc. i.e. only music playback on CD and memory stick.

You don't worry about LPSU ATX power? So what do you use?

I need a diagram of your system to better understand it please?

Like this:

flow.jpg

8 hours ago, Tomslin said:

It's like pour the money down the drain by buying a super expensive LPS (Paul Hynes etc) for to power a Pico. If you have chosen to use Pico, you can power it with anything that provides fairly pure DC. But to power it with SMPS (power bricks) will cause audible deterioration. If someone considers Pico sounds good it's really subjective. Many factors that affect on what you are experiencing. I just assert that there are better options than Pico.

No, I think you misunderstand. I don’t mean that jitter are created in the pico itself, which is impossible. Instead, HF interference that come from pico can create jitter in other parts of the system, especially clock circuits and the like. I actually think that's what I experienced when I heard it was worse sound. For the same reason, I don't believe it's so immensely important with the absolute best and cleanest power feed to a pico, at least not as long as it's linear. I absolutely didn’t hear any difference between different linear power sources, not even batteries.

what options are better than PICO? Please give examples? Thanks!

8 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Four such and you have a full rail LPS (ATX compatible). You need 3.3V, 5V and two with 12V. It's not as hard as you think with a little DIY ;)

Pardon? I am not understanding this - Sorry!

I know the ATX uses 3.3V, 5V and two with 12V.

Buy 4 cheapo LPSU's?

19 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Wattage: (micro ATX mobo)

Boot: 56w MAX.
Idle: 29w normal/spike 32-38w
Low use: 38w normal/spike 41w (music playback)
High use: ? (I don't 'rip', 'burn' or 'convert' files on this machine). Even after booting all of windows built-in apps + my music files running, power consumption did not exceed 41w. The only independent app. I have on this machine is "Crap Cleaner". I do not use it for any type of office products, games, HD motion movies, 3D, CAD etc. i.e. only music playback on CD and memory stick.

You don't worry about LPSU ATX power? So what do you use?

I need a diagram of your system to better understand it please?

Like this:

flow.jpg

Fine ... you cant upsample to DSD on that board but you can upsample PCM ... just get an el-cheapo with the pico and try it out before worrying about something more complicated. You might be very happy. 

4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Pardon? I am not understanding this - Sorry!

I know the ATX uses 3.3V, 5V and two with 12V.

Buy 4 cheapo LPSU's?

Yes, this is a possibility of several when I talking about DIY.

4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

what options are better than PICO? Please give examples? Thanks!

Sorry, but I start to think you're kidding with me. I have given you examples and suggestions yet from the beginning of this discussion. If you mean that search the Internet then you can do the job yourself :)

55 minutes ago, Tomslin said:

Yes, this is a possibility of several when I talking about DIY.

Sorry, but I start to think you're kidding with me. I have given you examples and suggestions yet from the beginning of this discussion. If you mean that search the Internet then you can do the job yourself :)

Sorry, I apologise to you. Very confused right now, so many conflicting views and opinions; the mind boggles! (LOL)

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

Fine ... you cant upsample to DSD on that board but you can upsample PCM ... just get an el-cheapo with the pico and try it out before worrying about something more complicated. You might be very happy. 

NO! NO! NO! ~ are you kidding?

If there is a genuine noise isolation method, I want to know about it now! i.e. fibre optic network? or whatever it was?

Ok,

I'm happy with:

Dac

Amp

Speakers

I am not happy with source & noise!

These are the inputs on my DAC:

1488331676b.thumb.jpg.4f752a1e3daf155ab66f5e854155418d.jpg

I am definitely interested in building an isolated fibre optic front end system even though "PeterSt" doesn't seem to agree with that process?

I am prepared to ditch my current build (& current LPSU plans). However, I have no knowledge of fibre optic networks, so I am kinda hoping that you will not leave me high and dry? It starts with: "OK - what you need to build a fibre optic isolation network is...."   OR at least links/URL's? ~ CAN'T WAIT! EXCITED!!

Quote you: "with fibre optic network you don't need to worry about SMPS on your PC"   ...that's great!!

• 2 weeks later...

But what is the minimum Amperage needed to supply a ATX MoBo on Intel 4790S/16Gb RAM with 1 SSD only via PicoPSU?

4A (48W) from a LPS (ultra low noise) will be enough to do upsampling via HQPlayer?

or should I just go straight from the brick and just focus on supplying cleaner power to the SSD only as @Superdad suggested?