IGNORED

pico power?

40 minutes ago, rikirk said:

But what is the minimum Amperage needed to supply a ATX MoBo on Intel 4790S/16Gb RAM with 1 SSD only via PicoPSU?

4A (48W) from a LPS (ultra low noise) will be enough to do upsampling via HQPlayer?

or should I just go straight from the brick and just focus on supplying cleaner power to the SSD only as @Superdad suggested?

I wish you well in finding your answer.

Pico XT160 is a  bargain and a fabulous PSU for a music server if you feed it with a really good LPS. The Pico not only is an affordable item but also absolutely free of problems, safe  and reliable .  The only problem is the quality of LPS and after a lot of test I've found the best Linear regulator to assemble a really good LPS in the Belleson SPZ 3A 12V https://www.belleson.com/ . This one, coupled with a R-core transformer,  Schottky diode (best if silicon-carbide type), Mundorf AG+ and Claritycap 100uF(output) capacitors provides a very good quality current  sufficient for every mobo. Obviously Pico will give only to the mobo both 5V and 3.3V but the quality of the  clean current given by the LPS will be easily detectable also at a superficial listening. Another LPS 5V 1A will be assembled for the  SSD feeding. Obviously if you go with an M2 SSD this one could be avoided.  But if you want to feed a good PC server you'll need another fundamental  LPS, always Belleson but most powerful if you need a powerful processor. So, in this case,  an SPHP 10A 12V, always assembled with the same previous components, will go straight to processor pin. At the end one Pico and two or three  Belleson based LPS will transform your PC in a true music machine.  In my PC system ( a double PC HQplayer based with NAA) I've built 7 LPS Belleson based (also the ethernet connection is made with two TPLInk MC210 optical coupler each one feeded by a different and totally isolated LPS). Each onewas  tested comparing different regulator (LT1083, LT3080, LM317 and so on) with Belleson and every time I've found a dramatic difference in favor of Belleson. The only real problem is the cost of each LPS, really  a bit expansive, but if the quality of music is the aim of your hobby this It may not be a problem.

12 hours ago, audiodan said:

Pico XT160 is a  bargain and a fabulous PSU for a music server if you feed it with a really good LPS. The Pico not only is an affordable item but also absolutely free of problems, safe  and reliable .  The only problem is the quality of LPS and after a lot of test I've found the best Linear regulator to assemble a really good LPS in the Belleson SPZ 3A 12V https://www.belleson.com/ . This one, coupled with a R-core transformer,  Schottky diode (best if silicon-carbide type), Mundorf AG+ and Claritycap 100uF(output) capacitors provides a very good quality current  sufficient for every mobo. Obviously Pico will give only to the mobo both 5V and 3.3V but the quality of the  clean current given by the LPS will be easily detectable also at a superficial listening. Another LPS 5V 1A will be assembled for the  SSD feeding. Obviously if you go with an M2 SSD this one could be avoided.  But if you want to feed a good PC server you'll need another fundamental  LPS, always Belleson but most powerful if you need a powerful processor. So, in this case,  an SPHP 10A 12V, always assembled with the same previous components, will go straight to processor pin. At the end one Pico and two or three  Belleson based LPS will transform your PC in a true music machine.  In my PC system ( a double PC HQplayer based with NAA) I've built 7 LPS Belleson based (also the ethernet connection is made with two TPLInk MC210 optical coupler each one feeded by a different and totally isolated LPS). Each onewas  tested comparing different regulator (LT1083, LT3080, LM317 and so on) with Belleson and every time I've found a dramatic difference in favor of Belleson. The only real problem is the cost of each LPS, really  a bit expansive, but if the quality of music is the aim of your hobby this It may not be a problem.

with pico can be good sq. same as zenith mk, pico powered masterclock or dac analog output stage. Without pico,lt1083,  with sigma11 or min4x lt1963 ,or 4x lt3045 and 3stage step down design like PaulH , become much better sound if we are using great motherboard like x10sba.

7 minutes ago, hurka said:

with pico can be good sq. same as zenith mk, pico powered masterclock or dac analog output stage. Without pico,lt1083,  with sigma11 or min4x lt1963 ,or 4x lt3045 and 3stage step down design like PaulH , become much better sound if we are using great motherboard like x10sba.

Can we see the final result of your build? ?

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

14 minutes ago, Lauritsvd said:

Can we see the final result of your build? ?

Im not totally finished,waiting extra  lt 3045’s for 3,3 v secondary stage. But sounds really good now.

best psu for 3.3v rail 

sps 500-5x lt3045 5v rail 

normal smps 12v rail 

extra 5 v ssd power depends on your ssd, example samsung evo need clean power, other ssd not sure.

5 v power good and 5vsb need separated power ,one lt3045 enough , otherwise disturbing other 5 v rail.

7460EA6D-29AA-4BED-A46B-267EA49DBECD.jpeg

43 minutes ago, hurka said:

Im not totally finished,waiting extra  lt 3045’s for 3,3 v secondary stage. But sounds really good now.

best psu for 3.3v rail 

sps 500-5x lt3045 5v rail 

normal smps 12v rail 

extra 5 v ssd power depends on your ssd, example samsung evo need clean power, other ssd not sure.

5 v power good and 5vsb need separated power ,one lt3045 enough , otherwise disturbing other 5 v rail.

7460EA6D-29AA-4BED-A46B-267EA49DBECD.jpeg

Very nice build Hurka:)

And so compact.

Yes.In my expirience always ssd on seperate 5v to isolate the noise from ssd to mb.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

2 minutes ago, Lauritsvd said:

Very nice build Hurka:)

And so compact.

Yes.In my expirience always ssd on seperate 5v to isolate the noise from ssd to mb.

somehow my Chinese ssd resistant about power quality,not same as Samsung,really picky