IGNORED

Will Bad Times Make Good Music?

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

back to the OT... what was music like during the Black Plague?

There was a significant increase in the creation and notation of dance music.

In visual art, there is the emergence of the "Dance of Death" theme.

In literature, Boccaccio's Decameron  is situated in an attempt to escape the Black Death and includes a number of songs suitable for dance (often in ballad form but with no musical notation). The work as a whole is often classified as comedy, even though there are plenty of other genres represented.

Lady Fortune, a popular medieval figure, appears in any number of ballads written during and shortly after the main plague years.

MI0000998203.thumb.jpg.aa18534250a1739e43f0704ee6fe5f76.jpg

• 1 month later...

Since this thread contains my lists of electronic music artists, and @PeterSt started new thread to keep his lists separate, I will add new info on my 'preferred electro space' here.

To show little more of my organization of 'electro' (abbr. for electronic music, also a sub-genre for me) I show this screen shot of 1st level sub genres (in iTunes for lib. mgmt.).

877520629_Electrocategories.thumb.jpg.90ea4c02223f863b67f3e6495ee77c49.jpg

Next sub categories of favorite 'electro' tracks (340) help show feeble attempts to grasp threads of my 'musical quality' sense.

44955571_FavoriteElectrobuckets.thumb.jpg.7693b17c60bafa571509f7ca5700e75f.jpg

Also state here my strong preference for 'sci fi' sounds, acquired as child watching science fiction movies/serials on TV & theatre. Love Thermin sounds :)  Just last month new digital broadcast channel (Comet TV) shows many old (50's, 60's) SciFi, horror, Godzilla movies, series. Like Flash Gordon, Rocky Jones-Space Ranger. Fun to watch with sound off because terrible writing & acting) but interesting sets, props, models, costumes, &c.  When have sound on usually hear Therimin sounds, other 'spicy' sounds. Good to relate to 'electro' tastes now.

Side note, band 'Laika' (I say Alt/semi-electro genre) plays very well to those sci-fi sound tastes, also just good music, if anyone interested.

Previous list was off-top-of-head examples of innovation/creative electro artists. Now sort ‘Innovation’ list by artist, & add @PeterSt codes & notes for him or all (all comments IMO):

—————————————

Air   (~) - vocals, maybe too light, poppy?

Autechre   (?) way out Techno, @fas42 comments hint you may like!

Bluetech  -  (fine ambient)

Capsula  -  ‘To See I’ wonderful earworm

Carl Craig   (?) - Detroit Techno pioneer

Ibizarre  -  (fine ambient)

Future Sounds of London (FSOL)  -  lots of good downtempo/chill

Jean-Micheal Jarre   (~) -  not understand problem, I think fine electro, writing & production!

Kevin Saunderson (?)  -  Detroit Techno pioneer

Kruder & Dorfmeister (?)  -  deep/dirty downtempo, (discussed-)

Massive Attack (~)  -  some vocals, but thought clean sound?

Orb  -  spacey, weird, not many hits for me

Paul Oakenfold   (?)  big Trance DJ

Portishead   (?)  pioneer in mid ’90s - Therimin & TT scratching, vocals lite on words but drench with emotion!

Ritche Hawtin (Plasticman)   (?) Techno, but approaches fine, short, minimalism

Royskopp  -  vocal, fun, addictive. remember Geico ‘caveman at airport’ ad music?

Schiller (?)  -  lots of varied vocals, big, upbeat, pop/dance(?) Check out live videos-bet you will like something!

Sasha  -  rise way above usual Trance. ‘Northern Exposure’ album(#1 only, with Digweed) lose self in amazing gapless journey!

Sounds from the Ground (SFTG)  -  many great tracks, any album!

Tosca (?)  -  ‘Suzuki’ album classic (lighter(?) downtempo)

William Orbit (also Strange Cargo)  -  add some classical sense to electro

zerO One  -  (fine spacey ambient)

Zero 7 (~)  -  vocals, maybe too light, poppy?

To try and cover field more like @PeterSt list in other thread, now add artists missing from previous ‘innovative’ list, but also from my big selected electronica track playlist (just majors, not list most one-‘hit’-wonders). 

Afterlife  -  (almost good as SFTG!)

Aphex Twin

Boards Of Canada  -  (almost good as Afterlife!)

Banco De Gaia

Baby Mammoth

Chicane

The Cineamatic Orchestra

Cocteau Twins

Conjure One

Deep Dive Corp.  -  ‘Relaxer’ another earworm!

Delerium

dZihan & Kamian

Groove Armada

iiO

Jens Buchert

Lamb

Lemongrass

Mandaly

Morcheeba

Neotropic

Nightmares On Wax

Pitch Black  -  (found lots of free d/l’s online)

Potlatch

Rae & Christian

St Germain  -  (jazzy)

Supreme Beings of Leisure  -  (rich, sexy vocals) intriguing sound too

Visit Venus  -  ‘Harlem Overdrive’ delicious!

Waldeck

(wish both thread followers lots of fun with lists :D)

@look&listen, great.

Btw, if Air and Zero 7 aren't the same, then ...

well, they aren't. But without explicit notice both would be picked for either by me.

A general remark I wanted to make earlier on :

Techno is not really my thing (who cares) but *if* it has to be that, try Eurodance. This is 2-Unlimited, Dr. Alban, Snap!, Haddaway, Technotronic, Ace of Base and sadly not infinitely more. Eurodance existed for a few ears only and produced a find bunch of (happy) music. Today I could still find new ones but if 50 artists of that exist, it is much.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

8 minutes ago, look&listen said:

The Cineamatic Orchestra

I see that that one lacks in my list;

"The awakening of a Woman (Burnout)" I think is one of the best tracks I have.

XXHighEnd (developer)

18 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Btw, if Air and Zero 7 aren't the same, then ...

well, they aren't. But without explicit notice both would be picked for either by me

Ha! Think I understand for you (vocals), but I like both for upbeat poppy sound. 

I will look for EuroDance-

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I see that that one lacks in my list;

"The awakening of a Woman (Burnout)" I think is one of the best tracks I have.

Not understand "lacks"?

Yes, 'Burnout' is in my Best list too, with 'All That You Give'. Your "one of best'. Wow! Time to listen (soon, am shuffling through my Best list just now with fine SQ (but not Phasure) ;) 

Not sure though if you're really into Techno.

Not really, some, even through is huge in this town.

1 hour ago, look&listen said:

Sasha  -  rise way above usual Trance.

1624131631_GMOvsDense01.thumb.png.26a528666f40267ce5aa6be2c7c83e9d.png

GMO vd Dense. This is the ultimate Trance and Space (see Kirk) and beautiful lush square sound all together in one track (but two of them). It is THE example of how "house" is actually almost always beautifully sounding. But it needs not-so-normal rendering to get there.

This is also how Infected Mushroom ends up in my lists. So to stay in the same color palette :

InfectedMushroom01.thumb.png.add3ca081ba801c73eedbee664d816c0.png

(Converting Vegetarians II)

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 3 weeks later...

Comments on suggested tracks from this & Peters thread, posted here because are ‘my’ reactions, not his.

Tried Eurodance & liked mix of disco & trance, but when rap appeared, as always did, skip to next. Not my ‘thang’  :(

‘GMO vs Dense’ nice Trance, but have plenty now  ^_^

Not sure what to think of ‘Infected Mushroom’? 1st track silly & rude. somehow I think of Ozric Tentacles, but don’t know them either??

Not have Pink Floyd ‘High Hopes’ in collection (yet). But recently ripped DSOTM from SACD to DSF, so will listen to ‘Time’ in honor of mention & discussion B|

Because of these threads have added Asura,  LuLu Rouge,  to want list (have pages of music want list since start digital library).

Your references to Techno maybe not good category. I think techno often used as default when not sure of genre.

Suggest interesting story of Detroit Techno help to better understand techno genre better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_techno

(Attended 2006 ‘Movement’ electronic music festival, on riverfront, with 8-10 different stages, some underground. Mostly forms of techno, & major blast entire time there x-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Electronic_Music_Festival