IGNORED

Just upgraded: Hiface EVO!

This is news to me. I thought HDCD encoding was limited to specific CD files. I use software to decode them to 44.1K/24b WAVs.

So are there hi-res downloads available with HDCD encoding as well? Like 96K/24b with HDCD? If so, is there a list somewhere of the titles available?

I may need to go looking for software to decode these babies, because my DAC doesn't do HDCDs unfortunately.

Learn something everyday!

Thanks.

Hi tatamata - If the HDCD light is not illuminated the bits are being changed, thus not bit perfect.

Without knowing more about your computer configuration it's touch to say where the problem lies. If the lower sample rates illuminate the HDCD light it really seems like the Evo is not bit perfect at the higher rates. Again, without knowing more I can't definitively say.

If you restart your Alpha the filters will be set just fine and automatically adjust to the content you're playing. The only time I need to manually adjust a filter to get the HDCD light is when playing 24 bit / 44.1 music.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Guest Analoganimal

I am being told in Japan where I live that the SANYO Eneloop Pedal Juice Rechargeable 9v Power Supply is ideal for M2Tech Hiface EVO. The identical "Pedal Juice" product is sold as "Music Booster" here in Japan ;-) I have both an "EVO" and a "Music Booster" (Pedal Juice) on order right now, so I expect to receive them in the nearest days. After testing I will report about compatibility.

Thanks to all for patience and replies. Problem fixed. (was in wrong setuping Win7/Wasapi/Foobar/). M2Tech Evo work it`s job in my setup perfectly. HDCD blue led lock appears now on every sample rate if present in file.

And just for the record, since I`we tried recently lot of USB to S/PDIF converters, came to conclusion that this link in system is far more important for general sound of setup than we usually think. Take care on this point in your systems.

thanks

Tatamata

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried to connect a external wordclock?

Thank you!

dCS Puccini - Antelope OCX and DA - Qnap TS-239 ProII Turbo NAS - Netbook - WireWorld Starlight USB - M2Tech hiFace Evo - TeddyEvo - Hovland HP200 - Pass Labs XA30.5 - Graaf GM20 Monoblocks - Graaf GM100 - Pass Labs SR-2[br]Head-fi: Digital TV/DVD stream - Apogee Big Ben - dCS - Woo Audio WA22 - Sennheiser HD800/XLR - mostly for movies - intense![br]Cables: Canare/Digital - Atlas and Yter/Analog - PS Audio/Power[br]The missing link: Korg MR2000S 1bit DSD [br]Vinyl: VPI Aries 3 - 10.5i VTA-on-the-fly - SuperPlatter - Teres Verus - Transfiguration Orpheus - Hovland P200

sorry for the OT post, but I have to ask:

How well does the XA 30.5 do at driving your Ascendants (love them by the way, I used them as demo speakers at RMAF a few years back)? My speakers present a similar load as the Ascendants, and I am interested in shifting to the XA series. Also how big is your room and what are your typical playback levels?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

... a nice PSU to power up the EVO.

A friend pointed me to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Upgraded-Power-Supply-Teralink-X1-X2-USB-/160504616694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255ed216f6

Link will die in a few days. If you are reading this after 12/9/10 do an eBay search for "Teralink Power Supply"

Ordered one yesterday. Will post my impressions –hopefully– in a few weeks.

Rodelius, this looks like good value for the money.

For now, I have given up on batteries, and have settled for using my Bolder PSU (with a good power cable--very important). But the Bolder is considerably more expensive than the power supply you link to, so I'll be interested in hearing your impressions.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Not good!

I tried my Apogee Big Ben, Antelope and dCS and I thought I did something wrong. But as Esoteric isn't working on it either...

I must admit that I am very disappointed, and I fell somewhat mislead. One of the reasons I bought it, was that it could handle a external wordclock signal. It can, but not a known one it seems.

It is somekind of misleading.

One of the other reasons i bought it, is that it sounds good, and that it does! (But would it sound even better with clocking???;-)

Thank you!

dCS Puccini - Antelope OCX and DA - Qnap TS-239 ProII Turbo NAS - Netbook - WireWorld Starlight USB - M2Tech hiFace Evo - TeddyEvo - Hovland HP200 - Pass Labs XA30.5 - Graaf GM20 Monoblocks - Graaf GM100 - Pass Labs SR-2[br]Head-fi: Digital TV/DVD stream - Apogee Big Ben - dCS - Woo Audio WA22 - Sennheiser HD800/XLR - mostly for movies - intense![br]Cables: Canare/Digital - Atlas and Yter/Analog - PS Audio/Power[br]The missing link: Korg MR2000S 1bit DSD [br]Vinyl: VPI Aries 3 - 10.5i VTA-on-the-fly - SuperPlatter - Teres Verus - Transfiguration Orpheus - Hovland P200

From the EVO manual:

"Supply input. Apply a voltage in the range 7V to 11V. Tip is positive, ring is negative.

This input is protected against polarity inversion. 2mm tip jack supply connector"

Question is: what is the polarity of the Gigawork power supply?

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Yes unfortunately M2tech made the wordclock out for custom/diy clocks according to Marco. A m2tech clock could be in the works but this would be just "a guess" that I wouldn't depend on if you were considering on buying the Evo to use a clock with.

Yes the polarity is correct socrates, i have one TeraDak power supply and i use it with my Evo, i open mine and set the output to 9 Volts, can be adjusted from 7 to 12, works very good with the evo, almost as good as the Lifepo battery, i use it to my everyday listening and change to the battery for critical listening.

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

ryhchan, yes, it's very odd that M2Tech has chosen a word clock standard that isn't compatible with just about anything, as far as I've understood.

However, the EVO isn't disappointing, at least I don't think so. I use with an EmmLabs DAC2, and it has been a huge improvement over my Sq.box Duet. But it's picky--you must give it optimal working conditions in terms of power. And despite Emm's claims of the DAC's being completely immune to jitter, a good--or at least well matched--cable is needed for the S/PDIF connection to the DAC.

All in all, I'm now enjoying the most analog sound I've ever heard from a digital source :-)

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

It's good that to know you are using the similar gears from the same family. I believe you are using Toslink according to your signature. Have you tried using different kind of input (coax, AES/EBU, toslink) to your DAC2 and finally come up a winner with Toslink? What is the matched cable you are using now?

ryhchan,

Thanks, I've forgotten to change my signature! Now I'm using AES/EBU. With the Sq.box, Toslink was clearly better than coax, but now AES/EBU clearly beats Toslink. I'm actually using a balanced interconnect that I wasn't using anymore. Before that, I used a digital interconnect of Danish make, which has gotten really good reviews, and which--in it's coax version--I was pretty happy with before I got my EmmLabs DAC and switched to Toslink. But the "analog" interconnect has much better connectors, and the improvement was really huge. I haven't tried coax yet.

I'll get my signature fixed at once!

All best,

Jens