IGNORED

Just upgraded: Hiface EVO!

I agree - it almost seems like they wanted to exclude the most popular PSU (6V & 12V) models. 7-11V narrows down the selections of PSUs/batteries tremendously.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

Does anyone know how much current the EVO draws? I have a 9 V PSU for my Sq.box Duet from Bolder - would I be able to use that with the EVO?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

OK. Should work, then. The original switching PSU for the SB Duet says DC output 9V, 0.56 A.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

I too have ordered a LiFePo4 battery & charger from batteryspace (of course they mess up the order and include the wrong battery, so now waiting for RMA etc.) In the interim I tried a standard 9V alkaline - and was surprised how even that made a big difference in my system.

Can't wait to hear it with the LiFePo4 now.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

• 3 weeks later...

What are your experiences with the EVO and break in? Does it improve over time?

I have just received and installed my EVO. To power it, I use a cheap PSU taken from a router. I use a netbook running WinXP and MediaMonkey. Connection between EVO and DAC is Toslink (I also tried AES/EBU briefly)

Here's a photo of the setup:

evo1030581.jpg

The cheap PSU from the router that normally does service in my Sq.box setup can be seen just to the right of the EVO, plugged into my EP15A power conditioner.

Right out of the box, with the above quick & dirty setup, I have to say it sounds pretty darned good. A little more detailed than with the Sq.box, but perhaps also slightly less dynamic and full-bodied. Perhaps a touch shrill, and a little less organic than the SB. But it's really close. I can definitely see it surpassing the SB once I get the power source for the EVO improved. And if the EVO improves with break in also, then it's really looking good.

All best,

Jens

OK, so I bought components for a cheap cable, so that I could feed the EVO from my Bolder PSU for the Sq.box Duet. I also had to buy the soldering iron, so this was my first attempt at soldering in 20 years. And the result? Not pretty. But the sound? What an improvement over the SB! More of everything-- highs, mids, lows, air, black background, soundstage. And I haven't even started optimizing the computer side. No ASIO and no improved PSU for the netbook, which has lots of processes running in the background.

All in all, my SB Duet is now thoroughly retired. My SB/Bolder combo beat a 5.000 $ drive, and the EVO/Bolder combo beats the SB hands-down. And I'm a happy listener :-)

All best,

Jens

Just got my today and running it on foobar with no issues using coax rca-RCA from Evo to Esoteric dac. Had old hiface connected and running on same PC with no issues as well.

Strange thing happened when I try using my Esoteric clock. With Evo powered off, I connect bnc-bnc clock cable from clock to dac. Then when Evo powered on, I press play and my Foobar and PC crashes. PC needs a hard reset to work again.

On my dac says it doesn't register my coax. It seems that the word clock in from clock to Evo is causing some issue with the coax out on the Evo to my dac.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks

Have been playing through AES/EBU this evening, and it clearly beats Toslink, which worked better with the Sq.box Duet where the galvanic isolation seemed to outweigh the shortcomings of Toslink compared to coax.

I guess the much better sound with AES/EBU compared to Toslink indicates that M2Tech has done a good job of galvanically isolating the EVO's outputs.

All best,

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

Tried powering the EVO with a 9V alkaline battery. Now, it only lasted about 2 hours, and I really don't feel comfortable passing judgment on changes like this until after a day or two of listening. However, I'm pretty sure that the sound improved over my Bolder Cables PSU. The sound seemed smoother (most noticeable with a recently purchased, digititis-infected pop album--it still sounded digital, but it was less annoying), soundstage seemed larger, I seemed to notice new details, and I also think that bass was better. Well, at least more pronounced--it actually tended to overload my room.

So what to do? After the warnings about DIY batteries catching fire, I'm rather hesitant to experiment with that ... On a Danish forum, a fellow has built himself a lead-acid battery with a small voltage-converter. Maybe I should pursue that route? Lead-acid batteries are considered safe, from what I understand ...

All best,

Jens

Rod, thanks. Yes, I remember having seen that picture. Looks good--clean and tidy. I'm gonna need help to do something similar, though.

What about NiMH battery packs--are they safe? A local dealer has some 4000 mAh packs 9,6 V. A low-tech approach could be to buy two of them and a charger, and then just alternately charge one and use the other. A little awkward, though ... :-(

All best,

Jens

What the big deal is with this safety concern? Are you guys that concerned with your cell phone blowing up in your pants?

A LiFePO4 battery will outperfrom all others in terms of noise and output impedance, resulting in the best possible performance of the Evo. A good AC supply, with shunt regulation is lower in noise and output impedance than a SLA battery.

Go with LiFePO4, to be safe, get a pack from batteryspace.com and matching charger. These packs come with built in battery management, which prevents shorts on their output being a problem, and balances the pack during charging. The matching chargers are "smart" and cut off the charge current when the battery is charged. This system is safe and easy to use, and can easily be built into a small box. A 3000 mAh 9.6 volt pack should run the Evo for a long time on a charge, and it can be wired with the charger such that you can run the Evo while charging as well if necessary.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Barrows, well, the safety concern stems from my ignorance :-) I checked out batteryspace, and they have some nice combos. Funny thing is, I don't seem to be able to find any European dealers offering similar LiFePO4 packs. Apart from the customs and delivery-time issue when ordering overseas, I wonder whether there is some kind of regulation against LiFePO4 in Europe?

All best,

Jens

Any pre maufactured LiFePO4 battery pack-chargers that will plug in to EVO, run it on battery power and recharge as necessary out there for purchase?

Went to site recommended by Mr Barrows and found parts at what seem to be very attractive pricing...

Tone with Soul

The Idle Current Draw on the EVO is 140mA. Anyone know what the Average Current Draw is when in use? Just trying to spec out a battery here.

BTW, Battery Space will not only help you pull together the battery, PCB and recharger, but they'll solder it all up and, depending on the size, put it all in a case for you.

-One 9.6V 3000mAh Battery (largest they have listed without building something custom, which, of course, they will happily do): $43.

-Aluminum Case: $10

-Charger: $24

-Barrel connector: $6

-Custom construction: $25

Total price: ~$110

Socrates, my experience and others is that you get around 1h 45min with a 9V alkaline battery. These hold AFAIK 500 mAh, corresponding to 285 mA.

Another poster at a Danish forum got 31 hours with a 8500 mAh 9.6V (fully charged 10-11 V) battery pack, corresponding to an average of about 275 mA. So I would say 275 mA is the ballpark figure.

Thus, 9.6V/3000 mAh should give about 11 hours of operation. Pretty good for weekdays, and at weekends, just remember to charge when (if) you have a pause during the day ;-)

BTW, thanks for pointing to the custom-construction option--I wasn't aware of that. Does that mean that they can build a 6000 mAh pack?

All best,

Jens

Limited though it is, is that yes, they can make whatever it is you want. Appropriate fees and pricing will, of course, apply.

Much obliged for the draw numbers! Now, I just need the outer and inner diameters of the barrel connector, and I'm good to go. Anyone?

BTW, a note about the Battery Space "solution" -- there is no "trickle charge" -- it's a use-it-then-charge-it solution.

Also note that Tweek Geek has turned ordering back on, so if you're interested in getting your EVO on, now's your chance. Shipment left Italy today, should hit the US by week's end (-ish), so should be heading out to customers (no earlier than) next week.

Barrel-connector diameters. I brought the EVO to an electronics shop to get connectors for my interim cables for my PSU and 9V battery. On the reciept, it says: 2.1 x 5.5 x 9.5 mm. I don't know is that's useful for you?

All best,

Jens

I've ordered an EVO, but won't have it for a week or more. Once I have it, I'll do some comparing.

But ....

It's like comparing a multi-tool to a chef's knife. Yes, both can cut a tomato, but even if you sharpen the shit out of the multi-tool, you're still gonna make a mess.

In other words, I expect the EVO to do very well -- especially with the battery power supply. But I expect that the sweet spot of the Legato (16/441) is going to be hard for the EVO to reach. I'm actually planning to run them in parallel (I don't have a lot of high-res material), unless the EVO completely surpasses all expectations.

One of these days, I might just sell all of them (EVO w/ battery, Legato & Berkeley Alpha) and just get myself a Weiss. Having to use all of this intermediary junk is really annoying even if it is still cheaper than buying a Mac that can support 10.6.4.