IGNORED

Just upgraded: Hiface EVO!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're about to order an Evo, you might want to check when it was produced:

I've been told (by a highly reliable source) that, though it isn't published, the Evo produced in 2011 will include some upgrades - a new clock and some improved electronic parts.

"Can we use analog XLR interconnects as digital cables?"

I changed my balanced interconnects, and gave the old one a try as a digital cable, just for the heck of it. It turned out to a really significant improvement over my well-reviewed AES/EBU cable (which, however, isn't specified at 110 Ohms).

Now, although it's DIY, the old interconnect isn't just any cable. It has Xhadow connectors, and in my system it was better that NO Valhalla.

So go ahead and give your XLR interconnect a try. It can't harm ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

My EE degree has some serious rust on it (been doing software instead for the past 20+ years), but I think it would make a lot more sense to skip the batteries and just use a big-honkin capacitor right at the EVO to smooth out the voltage from the wall-wart supply.

An example:

SuperCap

Probably would want to put some various sized smaller low-ESR caps in parallel with the supercap with similarly short leads to really cover all the bases. You could also put an inductor (choke) in series with the power before the supercap and wind a few turns of the power cord through a powdered toroid to take it to the next level (A couple more bucks)

With a low-current-draw device like this EVO (compared to an EV car or one of the other typical use-cases for A123 batteries), the overkill and nuisance of the battery just doesn't seem to make practical sense and theoretically wouldn't work as well as a well designed wall-wart augmentation.

Note that I haven't tried this, just thinking out loud. Seems waaaaay more practical than batteries and if done well should in theory provide an even more stable supply...for $50 instead of $500 and with no recharging hassle.

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

I'll recommend you get some lifepo batteries to get the best of the evo. i have both and the batteries beat the teradak by miles, no question asked.

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Recently Red Wine Audio change their entire line from Li-On to LIFEPO4 batteries for sonic reasons, JKenny uses LifePO4 batteries in his modified HiFace too, maybe is just an indicator but i think they change for a good reason.

LifePO4 batteries need a special type of charger so yo will need a new one.

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Just passing by to say that the EVO works with the TeraDak power supply (USD 50 on eBay).

1.EMI AC filter.

2.EI Transformers.

3.CLC Low ripple DC filter.

4.MJE15030 , BC550 low noise linear voltage circuits

5.And high accuracy reference voltage output.

6.STTH8S06 fast diodes.

7.High quality Panasonic FM caps.

8.DC output : 0.25V -10 V adjust ( Default DC 8V 1A)

9.AC input :AC 115 or 230V

10.Aluminum body , size is W101 x D115 x H46 mm

11.Hard plastic frosted plastic whitle panel.

12.Includes DC cable for connect Teralink - X2 / X1

13.Weight :700g 1pc

14.High level of silent background and detailed sonic performance can be achieve

DSC_2706-1.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

I agree. My LifePo battery wins by a small margin. I find the Teradak perfect for everyday and keep the LifePo battery for critical listening.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

The option of external clock is what Evo gets my attention. I am using RME 9632 with a clock module added so I run my Esoteric G-03x clock into RME on one hand and the other to my Esoteric D-07 DAC. If it has not been reported herein this forum that Evo cannot work with those popular word clock, I would have ordered it.

It is absolutely disappointing that it only works with designated clock of Evo and that should not be a selling feature at all (in fact it drives me away of buying it), just like give you a power socket that allows you to use other power cords but only those designated by M2Tech.

Thank you all for pointing it out.

Has anyone compare Evo with RME's sound card?

MetalNuts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The M2Tech Evo came in today and I have been testing it with my Music Hall DAC25.3. The addition of this small silver box has made a pretty substantial improvement.

I compared the sound of the DAC25.3 when connected directly from the iMac's USB and from the iMac's optical out to it through AES from the EVO (it seems as if the DAC25.3 AES and Coax share the same circuit as there was no sonic difference between the two with the EVO). In both cases, the EVO added more weight and body to the voices and instruments. It also seemed to push everything back into a more realistic position within the soundstage.

When I get my amp back from being repaired, I will post my thoughts as to the EVO's use with the DAC8, but so far this unit is pretty amazing.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Aldous Huxley

• 4 weeks later...

But yes, this little $500 MSRP unit does improve the overall definition, staging, and sound quality of even the already fantastic ARC DAC8...at least in my opinion it does.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Aldous Huxley

Lece,

Do you know for sure if the Balanced output works? If so is the SQ as good as the S/PDIF output?

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

Preproman-

I have testeed out the AES and the RCA Coax and they both work. I have not had a chance to A/B the two to discern any sonic differences, but so far I am using the AES with a cheap Belden cable and it sounds great. Have you heard reports of the AES not working?

Aldous Huxley

I may be mistaken so don't quote me on it. That's good. Next question. I've been reading about different add on power supplies for the EVO. Does it not come with a power source? What comes in the box. What are you using for power?

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

The unit was sent with a small 9V 1A wall wart power supply and a piece of paper telling you where to download the drivers. I am extremely interested in upgrading the power supply, but I really don't know where to begin. If I could find the designs for an audiophile grade LiFePO4 battery powered supply, I would love to make one, but I am having a little trouble with that. Have you seen any power supplies of interest?

Aldous Huxley

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I want to get the EVO, but I was worried about the power supply. Did you get the drivers downloaded ok? Do you really think it needs a different one. As I said before, I'm like you. I don't know where to start.

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS