IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

But would you buy such a vehicle to only use as a shopping basket?

Lots of people do... Then they realize that walking into a Porsche dealer and buying the most expensive one, a GT model, wasn't a good idea because it isnt soft and smooth and quiet, etc... Which allows people like me to get them used.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Ha!!

or low WAF makes them dump it...

or ... kids...

yes, I have a love hate relationship with the people that buy brand new Porsches. Not to mention the GT cars are just damned difficult to get brand new unless you pay a deposit years before the thing is out, and then wait a few more for the 918 owners to get theres...

edit: I lucked out on the 991.1 GT3, mine was on the very first boat of them to the US. I had the first in MN. It was one of the initial batch with a bad engine...

😞

No electron left behind.

@Ralf11 that one certainly has a more classic look to it. I still prefer the Porsche one.

Have we discussed whether or not we can enjoy both digital and vinyl?  I do. I was just sitting here with my eyes closed listening to the beautiful music coming out of ROON into my MAC7200 and then to my speakers here on my desktop. Definitely enjoyed it as much as I do any vinyl playback. For me I think vinyl has nostalgia and I enjoy the process of playing it. Between Qobuz, my CD collection, and downloads, I have thousands of digital albums.

No electron left behind.

• 11 months later...

Today has been a weird day, and its about to get weirder...

I agree with you GUTB. I think Digital has to be taken to a pretty extreme level to match analog. Right now, I appreciate my analog more than the digital and that is probably due to the equipment.

No electron left behind.

10 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

YES.  The issues you are hearing have zero to do with the format.   Digital audio has gotten beyond all that.

well I don’t know about you but my new phono amp has elevated my vinyl enjoyment beyond what I get from digital. 

it’s a personal opinion. No need to get defensive. 

No electron left behind.

53 minutes ago, SJK said:

Interesting point and back on topic. And that being with FPGA where the result of the hardware is predicate upon the software, is there any difference with digital reproduction design other than the imagination of the programmer?

I think the answer is that it depends on the goal of the designer. You do make a good point though. 

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, The_K-Man said:

What, pray tell, is such a "PITA" about spending only $200 on a good turntable - not those cheapo plastic suitcase things with every type of output(USB, Blue Tooth, RCA phono, etc etc) that millennials new to the vinyl hobby are drawn to like overzealous moths to a buzzing streetlight on a humid August evening in the suburbs of Miami, FL - but a rock solid basic Technics or even a Gemini DJ with all the requisite adjustments, setting it up in a stable location, and performing all the adjustments (tonearm height, tracking force, anti-skate pressure) and just enjoying it??

No need to spend enough money, to land a nice 2015 Honda Accord, on an outboard tube preamp - the one inside your typical stereo receiver will do the job quite nicely, thank you very much... so long as it didn't fall off a truck. Just use common sense here with the basics, and both your vinyl(LPs, 45s, and 78s) and your ears will thank you. ;)

well...

when was the last time you set tracking force on a cd?

No electron left behind.