IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

42 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Those speakers look real good - any details on those?

Yes, very good sounding speakers, called the Euphrosyne. 4 way without crossovers in the conventional sense, each driver is powered separately.

The high frequencies are represented by a tweeter horn, actively driven by a single ended class A power amplifier of 10 watts from 5 kHz. For the middle frequencies between 600 Hz to 5 kHz they use a horn powered by a 10 watt amp.

Then from 60 Hz to 600 Hz a separate power amplifier with a discrete driver stage without negative feedback that buffers in a 100-Watt Class D at 8 ohms. And the lowest frequencies handled by a paper 30cm paper driver, with a 5inch aluminum Hexatech voice coil. This voice coil moves 12.5 mm (both front and rear). This uses a 600-Watt Class D power amplifier at 8 ohms with a damping factor of 1200 @60Hz.

There’s no passive crossover inside the speaker but the filtering is done between the line stage and power amplifiers. Since filtering is on line level, I’m informed that the advantage is to be able to use smaller/better components without phase shifting issues to deal with. 

I expected the horn to sound nasal and forward like most horns I’ve heard in the past but turns out only very slightly. They found a way to work the driver to adjust for this and it integrated well into the bass unit.

I believe they have a taller unit as well shown in some HiFi shows - a symmetrical unit pivoting on the tweeter.

6 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Thanks @flkin 

Apparently so long as the throat of a well designed horn is not more than 300mm deep then it won’t be perceived as ‘horny’.

dunno what that is based on, the horn curvature itself and how the driver is loaded is far more important than horn depth IME.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Citating without checking the original work is the cancer growth in science;-)

I've been playing with ~70 cm deep front loaded horns (low end) that most definitely not sound 'horny'  

now if the horn curve was changed or if using backloaded design they might, reflections in the horn and the resulting depth of the 'sound lens' of the horn curve are my best guess to the origin of that phenomenon.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

23 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Citating without checking the original work is the cancer growth in science;-)

I've been playing with ~70 cm deep front loaded horns (low end) that most definitely not sound 'horny'  

now if the horn curve was changed or if using backloaded design they might, reflections in the horn and the resulting depth of the 'sound lens' of the horn curve are my best guess to the origin of that phenomenon.

It was a very old paper.  It may be true for some earlier horns as the throat design and curvature of the horn flare affect its response. These days that is optimized with CAD, so might well be a moot point.

23 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

It was a very old paper.  It may be true for some earlier horns as the throat design and curvature of the horn flare affect its response. These days that is optimized with CAD, so might well be a moot point.

just lemme know if you find the paper at any point!

I have been deep diving horn patents lately...finding interesting stuff.