IGNORED

SOtM sNH-10G - SOtM’s first network switch

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rickca said:

Of course, that's why it costs an extra $700.  I am asking whether you can install a clock connect PCB in SNH-10G and use clock points from an sCLK-EX board in another component instead of installing an sCLK-EX board in the sNH-10G itself.  If possible, it would be lower cost.

I sincerely hope we'd be able to clock it (with the appropriate connections) from the extra clock points of the tX-USB Ultra or the sMS-200 Ultra...

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding clocking the sNH-10G internally vs externally, May believes that the best approch is clocking it internally.

It has to do with how the power is delivered to the unit and also the very nature of external connections and how they might affect the sound.

If one insists on using SMB connections, they must realise that the unit should be powered up at the same time as the sNH-10G or in advance for proper operation.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, spotforscott said:

@tedwoods Thanks for your review. How many hours to break-in?

Not that many actually...

The switch's main traits, are rather obvious from the get-go, but it took around a week or so for the sound to fully mature, especially in the midrange and bass.

In the first few days of my using the switch, I've used an s-booster (first generation) power supply with it, but then found a used sps-500 and its addition also seemed to refine things a bit, especially at frequency extremes with cymbals having a bit more mass and depth and the low notes having a more distinct extension.

In the New Year, I also intend to try the Farad power supply from the Netherlands (of Pink Faun fame)...

• 3 years later...

Some observations of mine over the course of time spent with the SOtM switch and related paraphernalia:

. The 12V are required because of the power requirements of the added internal clock module.

. SOtM gear need a healthy dose of breakup, especially the ones with the silver wiring.

. SOtM switches are synergistically mated to their own (filtered) cables, so an SOtM switch with the SOtM ethernet cables to and fro sounds different to an SOtM switch with other (however good they might be) cables. The SOtM cables add serious body, weight and smoothness to the overall presentation.

. The power supply also plays a very important role: for example if you prefer a "smoother" sound you could try a Farad Super 3 and if you prefer a more "dynamic" one you can try a Plixir Elite.

. Proper isolation from vibration (by means of footers and added weight on top) is also very important.

. Preferably, the switch should receive very clean power from a different outlet than the rest of the system, if possible.