IGNORED

Raspberry Pi 3B+; anyone using it yet?

checked log, no voltage errors with Hifiberry Digi+ . Reading the github thread, it appears that what one connects to the RPI is more likely to be the cause of undervoltage,

that the alarm only goes off if the supplied voltage drops below 4.63 v due to current draw. Will hook the Eitr up later today and see if I get any under voltage alarms.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

When @Superdad    tested an iDSD Micro that was charging through an ISO Regen from LPS 1.2, he saw a 540ma current draw.  By my math thats close to a full 1A

of continuous current draw  which leaves little room for current spikes from the RPI (400ma steady state). Do you get the same under voltage errors after boot when running off the Micro's internal battery?

I"m using the RPI right now, USB connected to Schitt Eitr. I see two under voltages during bootup, each when wifi begins IPV6 link initialization at 6 seconds and 16 seconds, no errors after startup completion/during play. IPv6 is enabled but I don't find where an IPv6 address has been assigned.

image.png.489d55535ee5689fe8f8d1b71505692d.png

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I just tried it and couldn’t get it working. Saw the error message and moved on. The RPi3 specifies 5.1V, and the LPS1.2 says 5V so I concluded it wasn’t designed for the RPi3 and moved on. 

I’m waiting for the LDOVR LT3045 RPi supply to arrive (the one described on DIYAudio as mezzanine supply)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've tried to like the Digione as much as USBridge but its just not happening. The two are reasonably close in sound  if powered by the LPS 1.2 with no additional tweaks,

but powering the USBridge separately and using ISO Regen pulls the USBridge far ahead with backup/lower volume instrument details much more clearly articulated.

In the Allo forum I have read that the Digione board does have a DC converter chip that can be unsoldered to allow powering it separately.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/%2B5V external connection_DigiOne.pdf

Ive ordered a  pig tailed DC power socket to use, when that arrives next week, some soldering pencil work, then will see if powering the Digione with LPS 1.2 and  RPI 3 with Ifi

brings it closer to my preferred USBridge setup

http://www.cnaweb.com/2-1mm-dc-female-power-connector-lead-1.aspx

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/1/2018 at 2:36 AM, davide256 said:

So, I've tried to like the Digione as much as USBridge but its just not happening. The two are reasonably close in sound  if powered by the LPS 1.2 with no additional tweaks,

but powering the USBridge separately and using ISO Regen pulls the USBridge far ahead with backup/lower volume instrument details much more clearly articulated.

In the Allo forum I have read that the Digione board does have a DC converter chip that can be unsoldered to allow powering it separately.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/%2B5V external connection_DigiOne.pdf

Ive ordered a  pig tailed DC power socket to use, when that arrives next week, some soldering pencil work, then will see if powering the Digione with LPS 1.2 and  RPI 3 with Ifi

brings it closer to my preferred USBridge setup

http://www.cnaweb.com/2-1mm-dc-female-power-connector-lead-1.aspx

Thanks for the report davide256, please keep on posting your findings about the DigiOne vs. USBridge! Since you also have connected the Eitr to the RPi, how does the Eitr compare to the DigiOne? I have tried Eitr, DigiOne and M2Tech hiFace Evo (the latter connected to a fitPC3, however) and I have convinced myself that tend to prefer the DigiOne to the other transports. No day and night differences, however. Wasn't Allo supposed to come out with an improved version of the DigiOne this summer?

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thanks for the report davide256, please keep on posting your findings about the DigiOne vs. USBridge! Since you also have connected the Eitr to the RPi, how does the Eitr compare to the DigiOne? I have tried Eitr, DigiOne and M2Tech hiFace Evo (the latter connected to a fitPC3, however) and I have convinced myself that tend to prefer the DigiOne to the other transports. No day and night differences, however. Wasn't Allo supposed to come out with an improved version of the DigiOne this summer?

Its not really comparing the same thing, Eitr to Digione. The Eitr is a very natural sounding asynch USB converter, much better than the Gustard U12/XMOS based converters I used before. Whereas the Digione is a source component, like the USBridge

I did receive the DC power socket Saturday and removed the DC to DC converter on the Digione board. The holes drilled for the converter component are very fine,

I was not able to remove the converter by using an unsoldering tool, ending up rocking the converter back and forth until the leads stress fractured. I was then

able to crimp the DC socket leads around the projecting remaining 1/4" of the old DC converter leads and solder in place. Easy at that point to feed

the lead between  the USB ports and out the open square opening. I then used the iFi 5v PS for the RPI and the LPS 1.2 for the Digione board.

This did improve Digione  SQ with greater tone color intensity but it didn't change my overall impression. The Digione is the better bet if you want to stay inexpensive, don't have a highly resolving system for transients and background detail. But its limited. The USBridge on the other hand can resolve transients well but without a serious investment in power supply and a USB reclocker like the ISO Regen you are likely to have a love/hate affair with it... you will hear more low volume detail (soft bass thumps, soft drum taps, cymbal whisks, etc) but you will also hear more irritants and you won't equal the tone color purity of the Digione.

Digione back_LI.jpg

Digione with DC cable2.jpg

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, davide256 said:

Its not really comparing the same thing, Eitr to Digione. The Eitr is a very natural sounding asynch USB converter, much better than the Gustard U12/XMOS based converters I used before. Whereas the Digione is a source component, like the USBridge

I understand that the Eitr is a USB to SPDIF interface that can be connected to any audio class 2 device whereas the DigiOne is a I2S to SPDIF interface that can only be connected to a Raspberry Pi. Still, both devices can be connected to a RPi, provide galvanic isolation and deliver a SPDIF stream. Their prices are also not so terribly different, at least not by a factor of ten. Thus, I actually think that it makes a lot of sense to compare Eitr and DigiOne. 

5 hours ago, nbpf said:

I understand that the Eitr is a USB to SPDIF interface that can be connected to any audio class 2 device whereas the DigiOne is a I2S to SPDIF interface that can only be connected to a Raspberry Pi. Still, both devices can be connected to a RPi, provide galvanic isolation and deliver a SPDIF stream. Their prices are also not so terribly different, at least not by a factor of ten. Thus, I actually think that it makes a lot of sense to compare Eitr and DigiOne. 

.The answer I can give you is that  a competent USB source solution that includes Eitr will easily best the DigiOne. The RPI3 I don't consider a competent USB source solution

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

.The answer I can give you is that  a competent USB source solution that includes Eitr will easily best the DigiOne. The RPI3 I don't consider a competent USB source solution

Thus, the question is what are competent sources that include the Eitr and that could be meaningfully compared to the RPi3 + DigiOne combo. If I understand your post correctly, you have found the USBrigde + Eitr not to easily best the DigiOne. Thus, it seems that the search for competent sources that include the Eitr and easily best the DigiOne is leading to network players like the sMs-200, the microRendu, etc. Is this what you mean by "competent USB source"?

8 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thus, the question is what are competent sources that include the Eitr and that could be meaningfully compared to the RPi3 + DigiOne combo. If I understand your post correctly, you have found the USBrigde + Eitr not to easily best the DigiOne. Thus, it seems that the search for competent sources that include the Eitr and easily best the DigiOne is leading to network players like the sMs-200, the microRendu, etc. Is this what you mean by "competent USB source"?

All sources need good power supply to perform their best. The USBridge apparently has clocking weaknesses because it takes an ISO Regen to power it past the DigiOne, otherwise with good PS only its just a trade off of sound differences between it and the DigiOne.

• By my memory the microRendu with HDPlex PS out of the box/without ISO Regen/ performed at the same level as the USBridge/ISO Regen with the caveat that the microRendu high frequencies seemed to lack airiness... really curious now what microRendu would have sounded like with LPS 1.2 and ISO Regen.
  • Aries Mini would easily best DIgione/USBridge w/ LPS 1.2
  • SoTM SMS-100 would be on par with the USBridge w/ LPS 1.2.. its better behaved but slow on transients
  • Have not auditioned the ultraRendu or SMS-200 but based on published reviews they are better than microRendu.

So the least expensive solution I've had that beat the Digione is a microRendu with an iFi power supply equivalent, about a $300 difference in source investment if

your DAC already has a good asynch USB section.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

All sources need good power supply to perform their best. The USBridge apparently has clocking weaknesses because it takes an ISO Regen to power it past the DigiOne, otherwise with good PS only its just a trade off of sound differences between it and the DigiOne.

• By my memory the microRendu with HDPlex PS out of the box/without ISO Regen/ performed at the same level as the USBridge/ISO Regen with the caveat that the microRendu high frequencies seemed to lack airiness... really curious now what microRendu would have sounded like with LPS 1.2 and ISO Regen.
  • Aries Mini would easily best DIgione/USBridge w/ LPS 1.2
  • SoTM SMS-100 would be on par with the USBridge w/ LPS 1.2.. its better behaved but slow on transients
  • Have not auditioned the ultraRendu or SMS-200 but based on published reviews they are better than microRendu.

So the least expensive solution I've had that beat the Digione is a microRendu with an iFi power supply equivalent, about a $300 difference in source investment if

your DAC already has a good asynch USB section.

Thanks a lot, davide256! I have a Naim DAC, thus only SPDIF inputs. This is why I am particularly interested in sources with SPDIF output. Best, nbpf

9 hours ago, chauphuong said:

No, see my attached file. Do this after removing the smps dc.  converter. Be noted it is for Pi2 and Pi3. I don't know about P3 B+.

Pi3x.jpg

The RPi 3B+ would also need 1.2V ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 4 months later...

In the FWIW column, my RPI3b+ is back in service as Roon asynch USB endpoint, running the 32 bit version of Audiolinux with overclocking enabled. Heartily recommended,

better than any of the other options I've played around with. Note that while a 64 bit AL version is also available it has no overclocking config, stuttered playing higher than CD resolution without an overclocking config.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

In the FWIW column, my RPI3b+ is back in service as Roon asynch USB endpoint, running the 32 bit version of Audiolinux with overclocking enabled. Heartily recommended,

better than any of the other options I've played around with. Note that while a 64 bit AL version is also available it has no overclocking config, stuttered playing higher than CD resolution without an overclocking config.

If relevant, what is the maximum you can up-sample with yout 32 bit AL RPI?  Does it play DSD files without stuttering?

Thanks

15 hours ago, tims said:

If relevant, what is the maximum you can up-sample with yout 32 bit AL RPI?  Does it play DSD files without stuttering?

Thanks

Can't test that since my DAC is PCM only, using DSD to PCM conversion. No issues playing 192/24 resolution if overclocking config is used. Finally got a Pentium NUC

tweaked to sound right as AL headless endpoint last night, it adds smoother high frequencies, probably the better route to go if you want native DSD. But for $70 vs $270 (AL cost included), the RPI3b+ with AL is quite a bargain.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Can't test that since my DAC is PCM only, using DSD to PCM conversion. No issues playing 192/24 resolution if overclocking config is used. Finally got a Pentium NUC

tweaked to sound right as AL headless endpoint last night, it adds smoother high frequencies, probably the better route to go if you want native DSD. But for $70 vs $270 (AL cost included), the RPI3b+ with AL is quite a bargain.

OK, thanks Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

@davide256

Hi, I have been reading your posts for quite some time and I've seen you have made a lot of experiments with RPI3: DigiOne, USBridge, I guess you will be doing DigiOne Signature now...

I'm intrigued by your findings about AudioLinux, and I would like to start playing around with it for a PCM only solution (say up to 24/96) with one of my raspberries.

Functionally wise, I plan using  MPD+Alsa+UPmpdCli for streaming, which is essentially what I currently do with Moode.

I'd like to compare the AL solution with the Moode one.

I'm also using MicroZotl 2 as headphone amplifier, but with HiFiMan 400i.

Just a quick question: is the initial installation process of AL very complicated or would that be essentially burning an SD card for usage in the raspberry?

I could not really find an initial guide on the AL website.