IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

2 hours ago, mansr said:

The split between baseband PCM and MQA data isn't fixed.

Unless I have missed it - there is no known method for measuring this at this time is there?

Also, want to take a wild questiment as to how much real bit depth there might be on an "MQA CD"?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, eclectic said:

I've found your posts here interesting. You've woken the place up a bit.  The whistling guy is not worth getting banned for. Why not back off as requested. Just my 2 cents worth..

Wait a minute, is that what was removed  - that video of JVS (apparently, a number of years ago) trying his hand at...I don't know what, some kind of campy one-man-show theatre?  Was it more than that (I only watched maybe 20 seconds)?  Why was it removed?

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Removed because it was like a high school clique talking about a guy they don't like. 

Sure JVS posted it on the internet for all to see, but I'm not into hosting a party for guys to ridicule other people about things totally unrelated to audio. 

Hum...I don't know, the subject of this thread is this guys audio review and these various writers for these Audiophile trade publications are, in a word, eccentric.  Truly, they are eccentric with a capital E.  Perhaps that is just one small part of the larger problem?  Then again, perhaps not...nah, it is related and any warm blooded "normal" person intuits this.

I have thought about posting a link here at CA in the past to a piece published by a UK web zine that is mostly about Michael Lavgorgna's "art", but also a little bit about his audio beliefs.  Would that be off limits as well in a thread about a review of his?  

In any case, no sweat as it's not worth that much discussion of course.  Then again, the fact that these guys play a Confidence Game means that there "reputation" and their public persona is a very large part of the whole "review" process...

edit:  I also noticed that Christopher3393 is playing the role of civility police again.  Snitch is the technical descriptor...

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Give it up.

I don't think I will.  Ban me if you wish.  I have not seen Christopher3393 contribute anything since the majority of regulars disagreed with his ideas in the "civility thread" (can't recall - did he not start that thread as well?).  I have only seen him pop up here and there to complain about "tone" that he does not agree with.

Since I don't send PM's bitching and complaining take this as my first:

Just who died and made Christopher3393 boss?  Why is his "snowflake" understanding holding sway?  Why does his snitching get a response more often than not?  Who is this guy (or gal)??

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Rules are rules. Way more people use the "report post" function than him. What's wrong with someone reporting violations?

Because, people are people.  People make mistakes, get in foul moods, and sometimes they don't agree.  I don't agree with Christopher3393 hyper vigilant patrolling of "tone" that he does not agree with and I suspect he is for whatever reason getting his understanding of "civility" privileged.  Is he you, or do you in the main agree with his civility understanding?  Is he here merely to impose himself, or does he actually have something to say about the subject of this thread or any of the others he has snitched on?

14 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

"Persisting in a charge which one does not know to be true, is simply malicious slander." If not that, then at the very least, malicious gossip?

Wait a minute, wait a minute  - how is pointing out Bob L's explicit, public relationship with MQA - that is his explicit affirmation of their goals  - "slander"???

1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

"he is a compensated liar."

As I explained, his relationship to the industry, the exposure he gets for his own business, even the compensation his ego gets from being a "respected" and significant industry voice is compensation enough.  Does it matter if he is directly compensated with money?  Again, those other things are MORE valuable than the going market rate to bribe him directly.

Besides, it's a reasonable assumption based on his behavior, what we know about this Audiophiledom culture and industry, etc.

What is "slanderous" about all this???

8 hours ago, Archimago said:

Maybe there's more in the earlier part of the exchange not posted here (not interested enough in Lavorgna's views to find out). I find it fascinating in that exchange that having the contact information or some kind of link to BS implies anything at all! I don't even see why to "believe a word you say" is contingent at all on knowledge of BS's particulars.

The problem is that I assume Lavorgna believes the only truth must be that which comes from BS's mouth or some official word from MQA. This is rather disturbing. Highly "faith based" in nature as if appealing to a "higher authority"  and orthodoxy of the Pope himself; anyone else not of that faith or dares question the papal decrees should be literally "excommunicated" and ignored.

Archimago, I am surprised at your surprise!  (not really - just riffing off your post :) )

In Audiophiledom, the ground of all knowledge and experience is high subjectivised.  Thus, the subject is the source of truth, not any kind of measured objective reality (known physics and engineering reality & principles, etc.).  ML and the like do not have confidence in just anyone (RT66, etc.) - the hierarchy of expertise is a relatively small group of subjects within their world, most of whom are industry insiders upstream from themselves in the industry.  This is their criteria of truth of everything related to Audiophiledom (and if the truth were ever told, their whole lives are probably lived this way).

One of the interesting consequences (there are many) of the above is that these folks can not imagine a Bernie Madoff like conspiracy where someone comes in with expert knowledge of the culture and invents a product that seeming gives a little something to everyone like MQA (i.e. DRM to labels, SQ boost to audiophiles, convenience/bandwidth savings to average consumers, end to end, etc. etc.).  They can not imagine it because they do not have a criteria from which to judge except the larger paradigm of subjectivism that leads to the con in the first place.  It's like asking me beat Michael Jordan in a game of one on one, or a child to reason like a man - it is not in their nature.

Circling back around to our conversation about Audiophiledom and the rehabilitation of the term "audiophile" (from a week or so ago), I don't think it can be done, or would be worthwhile even if it could.  Sometimes terms/symbols become too "loaded" to be useful anymore.  Imagine trying to rehabilitate the swastika!!  Extreme example I know, but I think we have to be realistic about the culture of modern Audiophiledom (say, since 1980).  IMO, the shift that the personal audio crowd is bringing into this hobby (objective truth criteria, an expectation of value, etc.) is going to eventually roll audiophiledom into the grave...

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Hey Crenca... Well, I'm surprised at your surprise of my surprise :-).

Yeah. Maybe some things are just irremediable... Will have to see. What is clear is that MQA has overstepped the "balance in the force" and stretched the disagreements between polarities:

- objectivism <--> subjectivism as ways of assessing truth, quality, fidelity, and goals in the hobby

- audiophile magazines <--> forums as sources of reliable information

- industry <--> consumer interests represented in viewpoints

IMO, magazines, certain web sites and individuals like Lavorgna are in an identity crisis of sorts brought on by their loyal to the Industry....

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

There is something like an identity crisis going on I see it in the press reaction to me at shows. There is confusion in the industry because of our reaction to MQA but many see the pendulum swinging back towards more objectivity as a good thing. 

I agree Archimago, MQA has proved to a bridge too far even for this industry, this culture of Audiophiledom.  In the terms I have used, Bob Stuart broke the rules of the confidence game with what is nothing other than an old fashioned overreach.  This has attracted unwanted attention to certain details that the culture of confidence relies on not being unexamined.  A Ted Denney is but one room in a large mansion and lends a bit of fun to the whole enterprise (or as Stereophile describes, his "excellent adventure").  MQA on the other hand reached into every room. This is the "identity crisis" to which you both refer.

However (and lending support to my argument that this culture is irremediable, at least in the short/medium term) the two big trade publications have essentially doubled down on MQA.  Why?  I think they have seen this movie before and have confidence in the resiliency of the Audiophile culture in general and the confidence game in particular.  I think they are largely correct - the only thing that can and will change Audiophiledom is mortality/demographics B|

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, testikoff said:

How about these passages from Bob's post:

The Green signal is completely removed by MQA decoders; but it is there so that we can hear more of the music when playback is limited to a 16-bit stream. The coder for B uses an approximation (prediction) + a touch-up signal to make it lossless. The estimates of B1’ and B2’ can be buried within or below the green line (at the choice of the mastering engineer).

All this has been debunked in this thread and others.  Unfortunately there has not been a specific summery written for MQA "CD" as there has been for MQA in general I do not believe (like this):