IGNORED

Antipodes DX Gen3 vs Innuos Zenith MkII SE

simorag

17 hours ago, Confused said:

Just for clarity, could you advise the lengths of the RG216 and Habst cables used between the REF10 and MC3+USB?

Hi, thanks for your comment. The RG216 is 36 inches long.

14 hours ago, limniscate said:

Great write-up!  I was surprised that my Digikey sounded better than my Pasternack, but its' very close.

You all's findings are similar to mine and @austinpop.  However, given your findings, I do suspect that the Zenith MkII SE is better than the Antipodes DX Gen3.  Adding the sMS-200 Ultra to the Zenith MkII SE didn't seem to have an effect, but now I may want to test it again.

Thanks for your comment. Not sure if we can extrapolate our findings and conclude the Antipodes is inferior to the Zenith, probably should wait until someone has a chance to try them side by side? The Antipodes was improved by the full Mutec Ref 10 clocked Trifecta effect not only just a sMS-200.

13 hours ago, mahi said:

are u guys running roon as well? if so then decreasing the buffer size should bring higher transparency and quicker tempo (for direct usb connection without the rendu/sotm).

i also found deleting all the apps (save roonready in my setup) in the renderer brought another degree of transparency.

good writeup and great contribution to the community!

Thanks for the comment. Yes, both systems were running Roon. 

13 hours ago, rickca said:

Your BNC Coax cable Digiflex Gold II between the Mutec MC-3+ USB and DAC ... what is the quality and price of this cable?  It's pretty important because it's the final link in the chain.

I realize you were using the REF 10, but what clock is native to the Mutec MC-3+ USB?

The Digiflex Gold II belongs to @Kritpoon. Perhaps he can answer this for you. It's supposed to be decent. During our comparisons, we found the Antipodes had difficulty recognising the Vinnie Rossi Day 2.0 so we had no choice but to pass the signal through the MC3+ to make it work. All comparisons apart from test (3) was then though the MC3+ using the Digiflex Gold II into the DAC via coax so its a common factor and shouldn't play a part in the final comparisons. To be fair, in test (3) there are many variables there - like Mac/Stable/USB input in DAC via Lush cable and the other was Antipodes/MC3+/coax input to DAC via Digiflex. So it's fair to say the conclusion isn't as clear as I stated it.

Not sure what you mean about native clock in the MC3+ but in our tests, it was always re-clocked by the Mutec Ref10 via the Habst cable. 

10 hours ago, FredM said:

Many thanks for this great write up, really appreciated. Thanks for the effort you put in it.

To avoid biased reading from my side, a check: it seems that (after the cable swap) the Antipodes DX gen3 performs equal to the MacBook + full SOtM stable, right? (Where in both cases the MC3+ was connected)

IF this is true, the following is interesting:

1) Where was the test track stored?

Did you listen via ie Tidal, or was it stored on the Antipodes and MacBook, or perhaps on a NAS?The Antipodes seem to give the best result when stored internally on a SSD. So when the test is done by streaming over the network/internet an extra notch can be achieved.

2) Next month the Antipodes CX hits the market:

This is a €4000 server/renderder (exclusive the internal SSD storage), with usb and RJ45 outputs. With the RJ45 output a separate render der/NAA can be connected (such as the sMS-200 etc). From the Antipodes site: “The CX delivers stunning sound quality, exceeding the audio performance of even the excellent DX”. This looks very promising... The CX could well be THE one killer box front end:

a) a true one box solution, the CX has an internal psu

b) the total cost is lower (or at least similar) then the SOtM ‘stable’, which includes a modded switch, SOtM cables, psu’s, MacBook, etc (as mentioned in the description)

c) it is better then the Antipodes DX gen3 (so a possible extra notch compared with the full SOtM ‘stable’)

d) an obvious future upgrade path is available with the RJ45 output by connecting a separate (clocked) endpoint /NAA.

e) also important, Antipodes offers long term upgrade programs to excisting customers. 

If I don’t got things wrong/mixed up, I think my search for an one box killer front end is FINALY at the horizon. Or have I been reading all this with a tendentious hat on? I would appreciate to hear any sane thoughts..!!

Again, many thanks for your great write up!

Thanks for your comments. Yes after the ethernet cable was swapped, the Antipodes/MC3+ sounded similar to the Macbook/Stable. But like my above comment, I failed to mention that the former set was via Coax and latter via USB to the DAC. This would likely play a part in any differences heard. 

Test Tracks were all streamed from Tidal. We didn't get around to comparing the storage in the Antipodes, which I gather is pretty good, to the Mac storage which was a attached USB drive.

I believe the announced Antipodes CX is the source/server part and requires the EX to be the renderer and was intended to be a 2 box ultimate solution? Perhaps the CX can do both functions too, I'm not sure.

Oops, correction:

4 hours ago, flkin said:

Thanks for your comments. Yes after the ethernet cable was swapped, the Antipodes/MC3+ sounded similar to the Macbook/Stable. But like my above comment, I failed to mention that the former set was via Coax and latter via USB to the DAC. This would likely play a part in any differences heard. 

I should have said Macbook/Stable/MC3+ in the above sentence. Both the Antipodes and the Mac/Stable went through the MC3+