IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

43 minutes ago, mansr said:

Those are mostly products of room reflections. A normal stereo recording doesn't convey depth or height information.

Mansr, this could not be further from the truth. I hope you get a chance to listen to some better systems. Height and depth are always there. Plus one can hear naturally occuring room reflections from the room where the recording was made. This occurs in almost every recording.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Through the varying effects of the outer ear and head on sounds arriving from different directions. A stationary source is difficult to localise without slightly moving your head. Regular microphones capture none of this. Binaural recordings heard through headphones can get partway, but they are still quite limited, just like a stereoscopic image is a far cry from a full hologram.

So the Superposition Principle works differently for microphones then eardrums? 

It is perfectly clear from listening that, for lack of a better term, "height cues" are captured by microphones and are reproduced by most recordings. Sure, microphone position matters, but usually, no always, height information is there.

I am happy to agree to disagree in this one.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

But the ceiling (or lack of one) is responsible for a portion of the ambiant sound field.

Yes, the difference in the arrival times of first arrival, floor and ceiling bounces likely account for the perception of height.  I'll have to listen to some outdoor concerts to learn what happens there. Similar timing differences likely add spatial perception on the horizontal as well.

57 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I've answered that query before. I don't record commercially. I record for civic orchestra organizations, wind ensembles, "big bands", individual musical groups such as small Jazz bands, and soloists such as pianists. The only commercial recording that I ever worked on was for the Musical Heritage Society. It was a lute recoding. It hasn't been in the catalogue for more than 20 years.

George, is this you?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/381277-George-Graves

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, manisandher said:

Ambient RFI noise may well have some influence at the d-a conversion stage, but in our case it would have remained constant during the A/B/X, so can't account for the audible changes I heard. Unless I've misunderstood what you meant.

You likely changed the frequency of that noise and it's impact in the DAC with the SFS parameter change.

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Actually this is not correct in the context you (seem to) put it :

There is no such thing as an "SFS various filter" and SFS is not a filter as such as well. It is a buffer with a virtual "analogue" means of lengths (to set), hence within a predetermined range the number of settings is virtually infinite. It also doesn't work out as a filter. It implies "noise signature" (together will all the other dials).

None of these alter the stream, so all these millions of settings possibilities will produce bit identical streams.

This is different from upsampling filters (which are for reconstruction), which do change the streams. But these were left out of the equation (were always set the same). Just like volume was not changed in any event. This is all the most obvious for "us" and therefore is not explicitly mentioned.

Peter,

So is the SFS parameter kinda like the thickness dial in a meat slicer?  You get the same amount if meat at the output, but the numbers of times the machine makes the slice (frequency) changes at the two settings?

3 hours ago, manisandher said:

For example, I didn't hear more bass, or more highs in one over the other, or anything like that.

FWIW, I had the pleasure of hearing Patricia Barber live on Monday night at the Green Mill in Chicago following the Axpona weekend. I sat very near the piano inside the zone of enhancement with the PA speakers behind me. I heard a clear direct point source of sound to every instrument and voice on the stage.

The sibilance in Patricia Barbers voice is natural, I could hear it directly, but not really noticable unless one focuses on it. But it is there nevertheless so don't expect zero sibilance on her recordings. That would not be right.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, manisandher said:

OK, perhaps my idea of slaving the Tascam's wordclock to the MOTU's wasn't very good after all:

Perhaps I should have slaved the MOTU to the Tascam? But I felt that the wordclock should sit as close to the ADC chip as possible.

In any event, the analogue captures should be totally unaffected.

Mani.

How about we record the DAC output to analog tape and later cut vinyl for remote particpants? We could even put track A on one side and track B on the other! 

I heard somewhere this has been done before. It should be feasible.