IGNORED

Announcing the next generation: UltraCap LPS-1.2 (Now 5/7/9/12V! ; Now with parallel LT3045 regulators!)

38 minutes ago, Adyc said:

A quick question. If I use LPS-1.2 to power a network switch, do I still need to use JSGT DC cable connected to the switch to stop high impedance leakage from network?

Yes, the OUTPUT of the LPS-1.2 is NOT grounded. The LPS-1.2 is isolated from input to output. The fact that the SMPS shipping with the LPS-1.2 keep high impedance leakage out of the LPS-1.2, it does not ground the output.

The specified switches only shunt leakage when the switch's power supply is grounded. Since the output of the LPS-1 is not grounded, it will not shunt the network leakage.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Is the amount of effective capacitance the same at +5V as it is at +12V ?

Not that it probably matters anyway, given the large capacitance value of the Ultracaps.

The capacitor strings are exactly the same for all voltages, there are 7 ultracaps in series, each at 10F so that is 10/7 F per string all the time.

The string gets charged to 5V more than the output voltage. The output current pulls charge out of the string which causes the voltage across the string to drop. I arbitrarily chose 3V as the maximum drop, so when the string drops to 3V less than the charge voltage, the control circuit does a bank switch and the other cap string is connected to the output and the one that just got down to 3V below the charge level is now charged.

This minimum voltage across the strings is set to 1V above the output voltage of the bank regulator, which is 1 volt above the output regulator. The output regulator is always fed exactly 1V above its output. It varies for the bank regulator from 4V to 1V above the output voltage. This seems like a lot more power being dissipated by the bank regulator, but remember that a particular bank is only delivering power to the output half the time.

For a concrete example take 12V output, the capacitor string is charged to 17V (12+5), when that bank is connected to the output, the voltage is allowed to drop to 14V (17-3) at which point the banks are swapped. The bank regulator is set to 13V (14-1). The lowest point of the discharge cycle is 1V above the bank regulators output voltage. The output regulator is set to 12V (13-1) and always has exactly 1V from input to output.

As the output voltage is changed all these voltage points change as well so the voltage drop at each point in the system stays the same no matter what the output voltage.

So there are three adjustable voltage regulators and a bunch of ADCs monitoring the voltages all over the place in the system. This becomes way more complex because the charging system, the two banks and the output are all isolated from each other, you have to use opto-couplers to get control signals and data back and forth between them. What seems like a fairly simple system turns out to be a nightmare of complex details to make work.

John S.

2 hours ago, photonblur said:

Would the LPS-1.2 be compatible with a squeezebox touch

used as both a dac and server?

Yes it works great with an SBT, it makes a significant increase sound quality.

I'm not sure it can handle a USB powered hard drive plugged into the USB port though. I've never used my SBTs that way. If it is not powering a drive then yes it will work great with an SBT.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Hi John,

Very nice report. I'm looking forward to my LPS-1.2 now with even more anticipation.

One quick question for you. Have you tried driving the DAC straight from the JS-2? The JS-2 is no slouch. How would that compare to the JS-2 energizing the LPS-1.2 driving the DAC?

No, I have not done that recently, it is a little difficult to do right now, the connector on the starquad DC cable won't fit the JS-2. I would have to build another one with a different connector to try that.

John S.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John S.,

What USB cable are you using there between your ultraRendu and your DAC?

Still using old faithful, the Supra High Speed Certified USB Cable?

Or have you gotten fancy ! :-)

Cheers

I'm using a USPCB, the ultraRendu sits behind the DAC, sitting on a book to get the height right. I'm using the DIY interconnects that are very flexible so I can bring them out between the DAC and ultraRendu. The only problem with that configuration is I can't see the lights on the ultraRendu. The system changes frequently and it would be nice to see the lights when I'm trying to get the system up and running in a different configuration.

John S.

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

With the 90 degree USPCB to turn the ultraRendu on it's side?

I had trouble getting an ethernet cable in there when using the 'regular' USPCB but I just realised the 90 degree USPCB should solve that issue if turning the ultraRendu on it's side. An issues with doing that?

I used the regular one, but the 90 degree one is fine to use if it helps get things in and out. Just make sure the ultrRendu is properly supported so the USPCB is not supporting the whole thing.

John S.

• 9 months later...