IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

@dericchan1  You may yet try to play with 'Blocks per cycle' value.

Are you playing to 48k DSD capable DAC? (Cyan2 ?). Do you have 'Adaptive rate' checked?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
3 minutes ago, bogi said:

Are you playing to 48k DSD capable DAC? (Cyan2 ?). Do you have 'Adaptive rate' checked?

Yes, I am using the RPI5 with the Cyan 2 now, DSD 256x48 7ECUL stutter, I have Adaptive rate fully checked. Probably 2.8Ghz is not fast enough for that but its all I can manage to OC it to. 

It has nothing to do with temperature as well, with the fan cooler, it never really goes anywhere near throttling temp.

PCM 20/1536 stable.

13 minutes ago, bogi said:

Logically speaking should I set the ‘Blocks per cycle’ value higher or lower?

Now it also comes with a E core allocation option for dsp or filters… I guess I can play with that too 

35 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

oc to 2800hz seems to be stable but stutters at dsd 256x48 ultra light modulator.

Enable forced turbo (set it to 1).

Set Multicore DSP to checked.

Also try with nblocks=1.

Do you run Client and HQPlayer on the same machine? Maybe run Client somewhere else?

P.S. I have tested this DSD256 only on minimal RPiOS 2.9 GHz, forced turbo, HQPlayer Embedded. multicore-1, I'm not sure if I had nblocks=1 or not, but that is easy to try.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Is it the HQP Desktop package for Debian12 / RPi OS? I thought it was the Raspbian OS itself 😁

53 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

oc to 3000hz will not boot up for me

oc to 2900hz will boot but not stable

1- What power supply are you using? 

2- When you run "dmesg" do you see any messages regarding undervoltage?

3- When you run the command "vcgencmd pmic_read_adc EXT5V_V" what voltage do you see? It should be really close to 5v. Here with a super high quality power supply I get 4.98748000V

4- Even if you don't see undervoltage messages, try to add 50mv overvoltage by adding "over_voltage_delta=50000" to /boot/config.txt and rebooting. This will not solve the undervoltage condition if you have it (must have a good power supply for that), it will only allow better overclocks.

I tested my RPi5 with 3500MHz, pretty stable with that settings. Although it's not used for heavy processing (HQP server), I'm using only as an audio endpoint

4 minutes ago, fgribas said:

Is it the HQP Desktop package for Debian12 / RPi OS? I thought it was the Raspbian OS itself 😁

1- What power supply are you using? 

2- When you run "dmesg" do you see any messages regarding undervoltage?

3- When you run the command "vcgencmd pmic_read_adc EXT5V_V" what voltage do you see? It should be really close to 5v. Here with a super high quality power supply I get 4.98748000V

4- Even if you don't see undervoltage messages, try to add 50mv overvoltage by adding "over_voltage_delta=50000" to /boot/config.txt and rebooting. This will not solve the undervoltage condition if you have it (must have a good power supply for that), it will only allow better overclocks.

I tested my RPi5 with 3500MHz, pretty stable with that settings. Although it's not used for heavy processing (HQP server), I'm using only as an audio endpoint

Hi I just use the original rpi5 power supply. I did include the over_voltage_delta=50000

i will check dmesg and the vcgencmd line and see what it reads.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, fgribas said:

Yes, that's what it is... Look at here:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

It is "raspios-bookworm" and once you install it, it points to Debian package repositories. Latest Raspbian OS equals to pretty much stock Debian 12 "bookworm".

So yes, that's what it's for.

Tests I refer to above are on 64-bit "Raspberry Pi OS Lite". Which is Debian 12 "bookworm" and the installation is pointing to Debian package repositories (debian.org).

So the package will work on any "arm64" Debian 12 "bookworm" platform, not just on RPi. As long as the architecture is ARMv8A or later. So for example Apple M1/M2/M3 chips would be fine.

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, that's what it is... Look at here:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

It is "raspios-bookworm" and once you install it, it points to Debian package repositories. Latest Raspbian OS equals to pretty much stock Debian 12 "bookworm".

So yes, that's what it's for.

Tests I refer to above are on 64-bit "Raspberry Pi OS Lite". Which is Debian 12 "bookworm" and the installation is pointing to Debian package repositories (debian.org).

So the package will work on any "arm64" Debian 12 "bookworm" platform, not just on RPi. As long as the architecture is ARMv8A or later. So for example Apple M1/M2/M3 chips would be fine.

So you used the lite os without desktop, did you then set up an x11 desktop to run the hqplayer desktop version? 

15 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

So you used the lite os without desktop, did you then set up an x11 desktop to run the hqplayer desktop version? 

All my testing is on minimal lite OS with Embedded. In a passive cooled case which gets really really hot overclocked and running HQPlayer 😅 (feels really hot to fingers). But it works for as long I've tested (few hours in row).

Desktop package is also available and from DSP performance point of view is the same. But of course the GUI will have some load implications as well. More you have there (Client etc), more load you will have. But if you have just Desktop GUI and run Client elsewhere, it shouldn't be much different.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

All my testing is on minimal lite OS with Embedded. In a passive cooled case which gets really really hot overclocked and running HQPlayer 😅 (feels really hot to fingers). But it works for as long I've tested (few hours in row).

Desktop package is also available and from DSP performance point of view is the same. But of course the GUI will have some load implications as well. More you have there (Client etc), more load you will have. But if you have just Desktop GUI and run Client elsewhere, it shouldn't be much different.

I had tried hqplayer with my passive case and it was so hot to touch like a stove top - not safe for the kids to touch… 😂 

yes i will try running hqplayer desktop with a pretty much empty bookworm os with desktop and run client else where and see how it goes 

I have been using this command from the terminal for temps:

vcgencmd measure_temp

Using the big radiator, the highest I have hit is 56 C deg with 768Khz pcm upsampling.

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Enable forced turbo (set it to 1).

Set Multicore DSP to checked.

Also try with nblocks=1.

Do you run Client and HQPlayer on the same machine? Maybe run Client somewhere else?

P.S. I have tested this DSD256 only on minimal RPiOS 2.9 GHz, forced turbo, HQPlayer Embedded. multicore-1, I'm not sure if I had nblocks=1 or not, but that is easy to try.

I confirm that the settings suggested by @Miska work, although there are still rare occasions of short pauses.

I use the following in the config.txt

over_voltage=4
arm_freq=2900
gpu_freq=910
force_turbo=1

VDD_CORE_A current(7)=9.33185000A

VDD_CORE_V volt(15)=0.99980380V

EXT5V_V volt(24)=5.13488000V (27W adapter)

HQPlayer embedded 5.4.0. poly-sinc-gauss-long + 7ECUL + DSD256

A quick update.

I found the 4GB version of the Pi 5 overclocks better than the 8GB one. 

4GB version:

I used the following in the config.txt and ran a stress test using s-tui.

over_voltage_delta=50000
arm_freq=3000
gpu_freq=910

VDD_CORE_A current(7)=6.76893900A

VDD_CORE_V volt(15)=1.0046900V

EXT5V_V volt(24)=5.14292000V (27W power supply)

2 minutes ago, soundnerdie said:

A quick update.

I found the 4GB version of the Pi 5 overclocks better than the 8GB one. 

4GB version:

I used the following in the config.txt and ran a stress test using s-tui.

over_voltage_delta=50000
arm_freq=3000
gpu_freq=910

VDD_CORE_A current(7)=6.76893900A

Thanks. That’s what I read about as well that the 4Gb version oc better and even not oc, it runs processes faster in most cases compared to a 8gb version.

now I wonder at 3000hz you are able to run dsd256x48 7ECUL stable?

at 2900hz I could run dsd256x48 7ECUL but not with convolution.

33 minutes ago, soundnerdie said:

It is a stable run.

I added force_turbo=1 to the config.txt. In the hqplayerd.xml file, I have set multicore==1 but not nblocks=1.

img2.jpg

img.jpg

I am a noob.

can you please advise what these commands are? Do you add them to your config.txt?

VDD_CORE_Acurrent(7)=6.76893900A