IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 1/21/2024 at 11:07 AM, Miska said:

RPi4 works fine as a NAA up to 1.5M PCM and DSD1024. But you need to make sure 802.3x is active on the path from HQPlayer to the NAA.

Has anyone been able to play native DSD512 48 or DSD1024 48 with RPi4 or RPi5 as endpoint? I get a nasty rattling noise with the music.

DSD256 48, DSD 512 44 and DSD 1024 44 plays fine. A friend of mine was able to play DoP DSD512 48, but native DSD gets the same problem with DSD512 48 and DSD1024 48.

57 minutes ago, fgribas said:

Has anyone been able to play native DSD512 48 or DSD1024 48 with RPi4 or RPi5 as endpoint? I get a nasty rattling noise with the music.

Yes, no problems so far with RPi4 running NAA OS. With RPi5 running the Debian 12 (RPi OS) it doesn't work properly.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Yes, no problems so far with RPi4 running NAA OS. With RPi5 running the Debian 12 (RPi OS) it doesn't work properly.

Thanks! So do you think is a kernel problem? I don't have a RPi4 to test, but 2 friends tested on theirs and got the same problem.

What's the kernel used by NAA OS? And will we have a NAA OS for RPi5?

Just now, fgribas said:

What's the kernel used by NAA OS?

My customized 6.1.

Just now, fgribas said:

And will we have a NAA OS for RPi5?

Yes, when it becomes feasible. All the needed software components are not yet RPi5 compatible. But it is finally starting to come together.

15 hours ago, Carousel said:

Here is something similar but with a 14700K and no GPU. It is a water-cooled CPU. HQP Embedded is 5.4.0.

sinc-long is non-apodizing though. Is that not a worry? The apodizing score is listed as 735. The source is a FLAC 16-44 file on the sda1 SSD drive on the same Ubuntu Server machine running HQPlayer Embedded 5.4.0

image.thumb.png.4cba68a8ea4e63d2d5ed1ff1667623f5.png

image.jpeg.aca17a5dd0239cd690d7d052a7ce5578.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f9b58a1c6c2e5f9c36d2f8d8d20eac58.jpeg

I have that same album, I am positive I downloaded it from Qobuz, in 24/192 and the Apodizing number is 0 for all tracks.

No electron left behind.

34 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have that same album, I am positive I downloaded it from Qobuz, in 24/192 and the Apodizing number is 0 for all tracks.

Above screenshot is from RedBook format. That vs 192k hires is a big difference.

Worth taking a look at the HQPlayer's spectrogram metering though, so that it is not upsampled fake hires. But it could be also true hires transfer from original analog tapes.

36 minutes ago, Miska said:

Above screenshot is from RedBook format. That vs 192k hires is a big difference.

Worth taking a look at the HQPlayer's spectrogram metering though, so that it is not upsampled fake hires. But it could be also true hires transfer from original analog tapes.

This doesn't look promising to me:

edit: Hold on, it is a download from High Definition Tape Transfers.

Screenshot from 2024-01-29 18-23-37.png

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

This doesn't look promising to me:

edit: Hold on, it is a download from High Definition Tape Transfers.

Screenshot from 2024-01-29 18-23-37.png

Looks like a hires tape transfer. 48 kHz would have been enough for this, enough extra over 44.1k.

But overall looks like a decent tape transfer and no need to worry about this one.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Looks like a hires tape transfer. 48 kHz would have been enough for this, enough extra over 44.1k.

But overall looks like a decent tape transfer and no need to worry about this one.

Thanks, I would hate to think that HDTT had done something shady as they have been so great to work with and the album sounds amazing.

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, fgribas said:

DSD256 48, DSD 512 44 and DSD 1024 44 plays fine. A friend of mine was able to play DoP DSD512 48, but native DSD gets the same problem with DSD512 48 and DSD1024 48.

I play DSD 48K/512 and 44.1/1024 DSD is not problem, but if I play 48K/1024 DSD it will have very big noise. SA!!!!!!!!!! I am using Musician Pegasus DAC. and HQplayer NAA RPI4

4 hours ago, Carousel said:

@AudioDoctor @Miska Reads like I should replace my Duke Ellington & John Coltrane. I probably have, at the newest, a 2007 CD in a box in the cellar. Looks like I only updated the album art in 2017 to a bigger picture than I had originally. Checking Discogs, I could look for a 2018 Stereo & Mono release, or a 2020 or a 2023. Don't know if you would have recommendations from there: Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane | Releases | Discogs. I might just try a couple Qobuz downloads and see how they measure. Maybe I start with the 24-192!

As for my Babs & Duke, that is a 2016 CD rip... done in 2017. The apodizing count after 3 minutes of Stoona is only 7. And it sounds pretty good with sinc-long. So I take it, this one is OK as it is even with a non-apodizing filter. Right?

Typically newer releases are worse than older ones. Pink Floyd being one example of such. As time goes on, "remaster" usually means "we added more compression and limiting to make it sound louder".

Yes, figures like <10 during a track is fine with halfband-style filters.

9 hours ago, Carousel said:

@AudioDoctor @Miska Reads like I should replace my Duke Ellington & John Coltrane. I probably have, at the newest, a 2007 CD in a box in the cellar. Looks like I only updated the album art in 2017 to a bigger picture than I had originally. Checking Discogs, I could look for a 2018 Stereo & Mono release, or a 2020 or a 2023. Don't know if you would have recommendations from there: Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane | Releases | Discogs. I might just try a couple Qobuz downloads and see how they measure. Maybe I start with the 24-192!

As for my Babs & Duke, that is a 2016 CD rip... done in 2017. The apodizing count after 3 minutes of Stoona is only 7. And it sounds pretty good with sinc-long. So I take it, this one is OK as it is even with a non-apodizing filter. Right?

image.thumb.png.66ec492ece8709fb348c3491ecdbfe79.png

This is the one I have. I just purchased the DSD256 version as well, its even better.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.ca/products/duke-ellington-john-coltrane-pure-dsd

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Karson Kwan said:

I play DSD 48K/512 and 44.1/1024 DSD is not problem, but if I play 48K/1024 DSD it will have very big noise. SA!!!!!!!!!! I am using Musician Pegasus DAC. and HQplayer NAA RPI4

Interesting. I noticed this 512/48 noise with at least 3 different DACs. I will test NAA OS when it's available for RPi5 so I can confirm if that is caused by a custom realtime kernel I'm using.

Hello HQPlayer fans out there,

i am looking for a nice mini pc that can handle my Roon core as well as HQPlayer with PCM upsampling to 768khz and Closed-Form-M filter.

Does anyone have some experience what kind of CPU is "enough" for that usecase?

Thanks for your help :-)

Best

DomiJi

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500