IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

Just now, EMINENT said:

Holo.

128gb ram is not necessary for sinc M. M is possible on my build.

Maybe for L or MX you would be better served with gpu ram greater than 24gb.

Hello,

For GPU with 24gb is quite expensive, if 16Gb gpu ram, sincM can get dsd1024?

@Louie I can confirm that a 4060Ti cannot handle, for example, sinc-long. And it is NOT the GPU RAM that runs out. I borrowed a 4070 Ti with less GPU RAM (12 vs 16) and it worked. The new 4070 Super is basically a 4070 Ti and has a great price. I am not sure that the original 4070 would do. If you have more budget, but not silly amounts of budget, then a 4070 Ti Super probably would be great. Is more like an original 4080. I am saving up for one!

Understood, but I have checked 4070TI TDP is more higher than 4060TI. Thus, this is the reason why I consider a lower TDP and short version card.

So, this is the reason that i tends to get a 4060TI with 16Gb memory🤨

The 4070 Super is in between at 220W. But, yes, is 12GB not 16GB. Make sure with the experts on this forum if the extra RAM is needed for what you want to do. And/or make sure you can return the 4060 Ti if it does not suffice for you. I returned mine for my use case.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd appreciate some advice on optimal Windows 10 laptop specs for the following scenario.

I have an Antipodes K22 server, and an Esoteric D03 DAC.  The DAC can't handle DSD, so I'll be using PCM only. The K22 can't really handle much in the way of DSP, so I'm going to integrate a new Windows 10 laptop solely to run HQP desktop, as follows: 

K22 and laptop both connected to my network with wired Ethernet.  K22 runs Roon as Server and HQPlayer NAA as Player.  Laptop runs HQPlayer desktop. HQP should be able to find the K22 NAA. HQPlayer then is set to output to it. Roon is then configured to reach HQPlayer via the IP of the laptop. 

This laptop will only be used to run HQP, and for no other purpose.  From this thread it seems that I won't need heroic specs given that this is for PCM and not DSD, but what will I need for the following?:

Intel or AMD CPU

NVIDIA GPU

RAM

Lastly, is there a brief summary anywhere of key settings I'd need to set, e.g. Windows set to "High Performance" power profile?

Many thanks. 

hi @MP1968, really depends on your filter, but I've an i7 8th Gen (it was few years old), it can do PCM 1.536 (from 44.1khz) with Sinc-MG/MGa filter and LNS15 just fine...that should give you some context, you really do not need very powerful machine for PCM-only upsampling.

@paradis

Thanks, that's very helpful.  I just want a laptop which can handle all the HQP permutations available for PCM, given that my DAC is limited to 192.  I'm actually trying to get my office laptop ready to try this.  It's an i7 6600U (compatible with AVX2, per the Intel website).

However as I have posted on the HQP thread I can't get HQP Desktop to install:  

9 hours ago, MP1968 said:

This laptop will only be used to run HQP, and for no other purpose.  From this thread it seems that I won't need heroic specs given that this is for PCM and not DSD, but what will I need for the following?:

What is the desired output format?

Because if you want to just run HQPlayer, then instead of laptop, something similar, but without a battery could be fine. Unless you specifically want to run out of battery power.

In this kind of scenario, I wouldn't exclude Apple hardware.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, MP1968 said:

Thanks, that's very helpful.  I just want a laptop which can handle all the HQP permutations available for PCM, given that my DAC is limited to 192.

Something like Raspberry Pi 5, or Apple's Mac Mini could be also an option? Sure, neither one is Windows (Linux and macOS), but could be potentially very suitable for the purpose.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Something like Raspberry Pi 5, or Apple's Mac Mini could be also an option? Sure, neither one is Windows (Linux and macOS), but could be potentially very suitable for the purpose

I don’t have a tech background, so know very little about the Pi 5.  However a Google search indicates that it’s sold in kit form, rather than pre assembled.  At least that seems to be the case in the UK.  

Prices for the Mac Mini seem quite high secondhand.  There are many more W11 laptops available 2nd hand on eBay, with very good specs (I’m thinking of i7 10th gen), for £300 or less.  So this appears to be a better option atm.  

3 minutes ago, MP1968 said:

Prices for the Mac Mini seem quite high secondhand.  There are many more W11 laptops available 2nd hand on eBay, with very good specs (I’m thinking of i7 10th gen), for £300 or less.  So this appears to be a better option atm.  

If your output is up to 192k, then that will be likely fine. But one thing to consider is that if the computer is within the listening space, then some solutions may end up having tiny cooling fans running at high speeds and becoming rather loud doing so. This is the reason I was thinking about some alternative options. But for 192k output and reasonably sensible HQPlayer settings, this likely won't becoming an issue even with inexpensive second hand Windows laptop.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

But one thing to consider is that if the computer is within the listening space, then some solutions may end up having tiny cooling fans running at high speeds and becoming rather loud doing so.

I used to have a Windows music laptop in my listening room, before I bought the Antipodes. I didn’t usually hear any fan noise, though it has to be said that I listen to music LOUD.  Much to the irritation of my family (and neighbours).

Having looked more at eBay I suspect I’ll push the budget more to £400, which would buy me a Ryzen 7 Pro 5875U.  This should have enough ‘grunt’ for my needs. 

Hi @Miska,

You mention that your Ryzen 5800x rig was replaced by a 14900k. Do you still have any Ryzen 7xxx test rig?

I wonder if for stereo, will it be better to go with single chiplet (less core) CPU like 7700x or with dual chiplet 7900x (more core)?

Will there be any performance difference for HQPE OS to manage the load distribution for these 2 different CPU (beside the number of tasks on different number of cores)?

Thanks

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

1 hour ago, chipvn said:

Do you still have any Ryzen 7xxx test rig?

No, so far I don't have any. My 5800X machine started crashing a bit too frequently that it became an annoyance and had to be replaced.

1 hour ago, chipvn said:

I wonder if for stereo, will it be better to go with single chiplet (less core) CPU like 7700x or with dual chiplet 7900x (more core)?

I believe dual is better, since HQPlayer will split the two channels to two chiplets.

1 hour ago, chipvn said:

Will there be any performance difference for HQPE OS to manage the load distribution for these 2 different CPU (beside the number of tasks on different number of cores)?

The main difference is memory bandwidth and cache management inside the CPU package. From higher level OS persepective it is less of a difference. But in any case HQPlayer will split the work to the two entities.

Any even number of core/chiplet (CCD)/package is fine. Odd numbers may be more challenging. So it is advisable to stick with hardware where the physical structure is integer factor of number of channels / pipelines to process.

I have been unsuccessful  in  running sin-L without stuttering- sinc-M runs  fine.

Had the idea to run the output as null , for no particular reason.

Monitored in task manager , with no issues.

Switched output back to ASIO - Now yesterday I had updated to the latest version, with again no apparent change to SQ.

Streamed a track AND WOW WHAT THE FCUK HAPPENED?

I have no rational explanation for this dramatic effect - But I suspect it is something to do with the ASIO driver?

The SQ I am hearing -in the afternoon here in Thailand , has improved significantly. 

Looking forward to tonight , once the solar radiation expires.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:26 PM, MP1968 said:

K22 runs Roon as Server and HQPlayer NAA as Player.  Laptop runs HQPlayer desktop

Are you sure that the K22 can run both the Roon server and the NAA client simultaneously?

I would suggest an Intel NUC in Akasa fanless case as the HQPlayer server for your use case.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:07 PM, 1laraz said:

Are you sure that the K22 can run both the Roon server and the NAA client simultaneously?

@1laraz

As it turns out I'm not sure the K22 can actually do this.  I put HQP Desktop on a fresh W11 laptop, connected to the same network as the K22.  Set the K22 for Server = Roon and HQPlayer NAA = Player.  I set up HQP in Roon - Settings - SetUp with my local IP address (not localhost). In HQPD the Allow control from network switch was toggled on.  

However as much as I fiddled around with the Settings in HQPD, Roon was unable to find HQPD to output to it. 

If you have any suggestions on how to get this to work then that would be great.  Otherwise I'll try the approach suggested by @bogi a few weeks ago, which is to have both Roon + HQPD on the laptop.  

7 minutes ago, MP1968 said:

As it turns out I'm not sure the K22 can actually do this.  I put HQP Desktop on a fresh W11 laptop, connected to the same network as the K22.  Set the K22 for Server = Roon and HQPlayer NAA = Player.  I set up HQP in Roon - Settings - SetUp with my local IP address (not localhost). In HQPD the Allow control from network switch was toggled on.  

Do you have the "Allow network control" button pressed in HQPlayer Desktop toobar? (rightmost button)

Then use the Add HQPlayer button in Roon settings to add IP address of your Win11 laptop (probably DHCP, so it may change over time). Name the endpoint properly, like "W11 HQP". Then you can select it as a zone in Roon.

First check that HQPlayer is able to play to your NAA standalone, without Roon. So you know HQPlayer is likely correctly setup and the output is accessible. Then you can try playing from Roon.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Do you have the "Allow network control" button pressed in HQPlayer Desktop toobar? (rightmost button)

Yes, it appears to be toggled on. 

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

add IP address of your Win11 laptop (probably DHCP,

I ran ipconfig in Command Prompt, and entered the IPv4 address when setting up the HQP in Roon.  Is that correct?  If not where do I find the DHCP?

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

First check that HQPlayer is able to play to your NAA standalone, without Roon. So you know HQPlayer is likely correctly setup and the output is accessible. Then you can try playing from Roon.

Ok.  But first what do I set in HQP Settings? There is a box for Output Device Settings, and the options for Backend are WASAPI, ASIO, NetworkAudioAdaptor, Network Audio Adaptor IPv6, and Null.

For Input Device Settings the options for Backend are WASAPI, ASIO, NetworkAudioAdaptor, Network Audio Adaptor IPv6.

9 minutes ago, MP1968 said:

I ran ipconfig in Command Prompt, and entered the IPv4 address when setting up the HQP in Roon.  Is that correct?  If not where do I find the DHCP?

If you have not specified a static IP in your network interface settings, nor defined a fixed IP in your router settings for your laptop MAC address, it may/will change over time as the IP gets assigned by your router. (in typical home network scenario, router is the DHCP server allocating local IPs)

Ok.  But first what do I set in HQP Settings? There is a box for Output Device Settings, and the options for Backend are WASAPI, ASIO, NetworkAudioAdaptor, Network Audio Adaptor IPv6, and Null.

If your output is through Antipodes, choose "Network Audio Adapter IPv6" backend, your output device should appear under Devices list. If it doesn't try with "Network Audio Adapter" backend. If it still doesn't show up. it is either reserved by something else (like HQPlayer Embedded there), or something else. Or there is a network issue.

Roon won't be able to play anything through HQPlayer until HQPlayer is able to play anything in first place. So it is better to first check with simplified setup that the HQPlayer output works, and then add Roon layer on top.

For Input Device Settings the options for Backend are WASAPI, ASIO, NetworkAudioAdaptor, Network Audio Adaptor IPv6.

Set input backend to "[none]", it is not applicable here.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

If you have not specified a static IP in your network interface settings, nor defined a fixed IP in your router settings for your laptop MAC address, it may/will change over time as the IP gets assigned by your router.

How do I do this?  Do I need to log into my wifi router (this is a home network with just one wifi router), and if so what do I do next?

I realise this may be very obvious to someone with an IT background, but my professional experience is in a very different field. 

Can you access the web interface of your router and navigate to the area in which you can find your devices listed? Simplest can be to accept whatever numbers have already been given and select to have them stay fixed. Recommend you google your router type and model with „fixed IP address“. There is a lot of variety in the specifics.

7 minutes ago, Carousel said:

Can you access the web interface of your router and navigate to the area in which you can find your devices listed?

@Carousel

Thanks, I'll try this later tonight. This may be a monumentally dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway: does the Windows 11 laptop I'm using (the one which has HQP desktop on it) have to be connected to my router via ethernet cable, or is wifi acceptable?