IGNORED

WD Purple sound quality

Hi,

‘I’ve heard rum ours that Western Digital Purple drives may be their best sounding drives? Anyone tried them vs WD Red?

I cant find any info hear. I searched for WD Purple and got nothing. 

thanks,

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

I use the WD Black for when I want the best out of my metal music,

I use their Blue drives for Blues, Blue Grass, Sad Country

I use their Red drives for all my Jazz

Their Green for Lord of the Dance DVD's

What ever you use just put it in a NAS and locate it away from the listening room and you will do fine.

My 12TB of storage is on their Green series in a Windows 10 Parity Storage Space.

7 hours ago, plissken said:

I use the WD Black for when I want the best out of my metal music,

I use their Blue drives for Blues, Blue Grass, Sad Country

I use their Red drives for all my Jazz

Their Green for Lord of the Dance DVD's

What ever you use just put it in a NAS and locate it away from the listening room and you will do fine.

My 12TB of storage is on their Green series in a Windows 10 Parity Storage Space.

I’m tricking out one server in just green and building another for red to see which color is best for Christmas music. Thanks for all the tips. I guess I’ll be be buildibg a Server for each color. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

3 hours ago, firedog said:

IMO, green is best for less intensive uses like NAS - backup.

For music playback the Red and Black are supposedly more robust (longer life cycle/load-unload cycles) and have vibration protection. 

The Purple are designed for surveillance systems, I think the use in audio playback is almost exactly the opposite - mostly reading and less writing to the disk. 

http://nascompares.com/2017/03/17/what-is-the-difference-between-the-wd-colours-blue-red-black-green-purple-and-gold/

Thanks!

I”m aware of what they are used for. Somewhere I read something about the Purple drives sounding better. I wouldn’t really think they were suited for Audio and I do use Red NAS drives. But I do know the various drives and speed sound a bit different. 

All one one has to do is hold the drive to their ear and tap “Shave and a haircut. Two bits”. The differences in the resonance frequencies are easy to hear. ?

Thanks for your help. I have read several articles explaining the differences but not that one exactly. It’s interesting that the manufacturers go to the trouble to build several types of drives when perhaps they could just build one or two kinds and cut down on their costs. 

Thanks!

SteVe's V's

12 minutes ago, sgr said:

’s interesting that the manufacturers go to the trouble to build several types of drives when perhaps they could just build one or two kinds and cut down on their costs. 

Market segmentation- you get more people to buy more devices at different prices and features.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I read somewhere, maybe it was different product, the firmware is tuned for sustained data rate with sacrificing data integrity -- r/w retry count is reduced to shorten recording failure frames. One complete garbage frame of recorded surveillance video is more acceptable than permanent loss of 100 consecutive frames.

For audio playback, data integrity is more important than sustained data rate. I don't want to hear maximum volume white noise of 0.01 seconds from my speaker when listening music.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

17 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

I read somewhere, maybe it was different product, the firmware is tuned for sustained data rate with sacrificing data integrity -- r/w retry count is reduced to shorten recording failure frames. One complete garbage frame of recorded surveillance video is more acceptable than permanent loss of 100 consecutive frames.

For audio playback, data integrity is more important than sustained data rate. I don't want to hear maximum volume white noise of 0.01 seconds from my speaker when listening music.

You won't hear analog noise, you hear digital click/pop/stutter.

1 minute ago, yamamoto2002 said:

It is possible to buffer audio data from HDD to main memory to prevent stuttering caused by non-purple HDD retry.

What WD is doing on the purple drive is a 25 year old trick: They loosen up the thermal head recalibration routine to ensure a lot of data can be written at speed. 

It's not about the reads its about the writes. 

My music network share is on Linux server with a WD Red Pro drive. I generally look up drives with 60 months warranty. If manufacturer doesn't trust their own drive and gives shorter warranty, it's not worth for my storage either... ;)

Except Mac Mini which has same material on external Thunderbolt HDD.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm just wondering: do you guys really can perceive the sounding difference among these WD models? I honestly think these WD HDD drives in different colours are just for difference purpose as firedog mentioned.

My purchase preference is similar to Miska, I always go for the longest warranty model which is WD gold or Pro series.

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

4 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I'm just wondering: do you guys really can perceive the sounding difference among these WD models? I honestly think these WD HDD drives in different colours are just for difference purpose as firedog mentioned.

My purchase preference is similar to Miska, I always go for the longest warranty model which is WD gold or Pro series.

I  don't hear any difference.

But I do think the different models are slightly different, and you should choose the one that best fits what you will use it for. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

I've never heard a difference. If people worry about that then they need to worry about the drives used at Tidal, Spotify, Pandora. 

I found article about WD purple

https://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/wdhdd/1023885.html

WD Purple supports ATA-7 "streaming feature set" commands which is originally designed for HDD digital video recorder (DVR). This command set is issued from DVR firmware to write multiple (up to 32) video streams simultaneously without data fragmentation. These special ATA commands are also issued by QNAP NAS based surveillance camera system but not issued from Windows therefore this feature is not used on Windows.

There is also some firmware tuning for data read behavior, read retry count is reduced to meet realtime read requirement. 

I think WD Purple is not suitable for storing audio data.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin