IGNORED

MQA Off-Topic Spinoff

Abtr

51 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

Anyone else want to personally attack me and go off topic ?

There is clearly no moderation here.

lol

What a mess.

Sure why not?

Your comment about a foodchain is telling about your attitude which you disguise as otherwise.  You seem to have some fear of your own realizing you are just a middle link in this chain.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Brother's is a good example of working within the DR8 or 7 range and making what you can of it. It does show lots more skill than 95% of mastering at least.  You don't notice the constriction too much unlike so many recordings. 

I found it interesting that EQ with 3 db slope across the 40-20khz band up or down destroyed the careful balance of elements.  So nicely crafted.  The low end is still too muffled and constricted for my tastes, but in the balance of everything else a good result.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I thought all "modern sounding" mastering meant that every track on an album was the loudest.  There should be no difference in album normalization and per track normalization.  If there is, then its stuck, its old, and it should be disregarded according to mastering master Brian.  Could it be that those 70 or 80% who preferred otherwise were all old? Possible I guess that Tidal only has 20% youngsters (or hip with it modern oldsters) in their customer base.  Very puzzling.  

36 minutes ago, semente said:

Who is he by the way?

Brian Lucey.

1 minute ago, esldude said:

Double post. 

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Why do you think this? No loss of fine detail occurs - it is the equivalent of having a very, very smart volume control following the waveform as it goes through, and instantaneously amplifying, or attenuating the sound, far faster than you can hear such happening. If done with exactly the right amounts of gain at each point then what you hear is now largely "correct".

Here is a simple video of compression at its very simplest. 

We haven't talked about side chaining compression (where one track sort of controls compression of another track) or the use of parallel compression of tracks or any number of techniques commonly in use for decades.   It is nothing like riding a gain knob up and down to go back to the pre-compressed state.  

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I appreciate all this. I spent quite some weeks playing with the Reaper audio software, which has very good effects modules which allow one to play with all this. And one can manually guess, and get very close just by viewing the waveform - there are visual characteristics that mark the compression imposed, and one uses those as clues. Of course there are going to be complex applications of compression, but that is part of the sound of the track, in itself - you don't want to undo the "art" of the producution, you're trying to restore some sanity to the amount of squashing that's been done. In fact, my experiments started because I had a sampler pop track which was ridiculous in its presentation - surely something can be done about this? And, it turned out so ... I ended up getting pretty close to what a garage band - the group in question - would have sounded like, live.

You should read some of the gearslutz thread someone linked above which was a Brian Lucey thread.  Sometimes he isn't doing, but 3 db of it himself because of the mixes he starts with.  

You might sort of half way undo a one step compression done to a garage band. Even then someone with a little experience with this will find you still missed getting back to the original.  As far as that approach on released commercial music.  Not even 1/10th of one percent will be so simply done at any stage. 

Years ago I had a dbx 3BX dynamic range expander.  A hardware analog attempt at what you are talking about.  You could change things, but you couldn't really make it definitively better.  This was maybe 25 years ago mostly with LP and some early CD.  Only attempting to expand range by 50 %.  Its a pipe dream.  

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

While I freely admit my knowledge of these things is something like the high side of layman or the low side of amateur, there is a significant different between compression used on studio tracks, and a "mastering limiter" used on the final product.  The latter is where the evil happens.

Maybe. With modern mixes you probably are treading the line where high ratio compression and soft limiting aren't all that different.  I agree with Lucey that blaming the mastering guy for the evil in the current climate is misplaced. 

Perhaps we could ask B. Lucey for some insight on this. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Indeed that can be the case. Limiters are more 'sneaky' in their action - when viewing the waveform at a particular spot everything looks hunky dory, because of the look ahead by the algorithms, to make sure the transitions are smooth.

I will most assuredly assert that the developing of a reasonable, mature process for undoing the worst damage wrought on the final mix will not be trivial, straightforward to do. Which is not the same thing as saying that it can't be done, full stop. Again, I don't care one iota whether I've secured a perfect reversal - if 99% of the listeners can't pick it, and are fully happy with the listening, then ... job's done.

Okay Frank, how about some parallel compression. 

I have a track, and make a duplicate track.  I do some compression on the duplicate.  I then mix it back into the original.  This gives me a track with higher loudness, higher average level, but leaves any spiky transients intact without being blunted.  Given the result of that how can you work backwards to get close to the original track?  At the very least this is a non-trivial problem.  

7 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I love industry professionals who are not assholes. 

+1

12 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm not sure we were ever talking about the same thing.  I commented on the notion of "HDR audio".  I assumed this hypothetical new format would have a dynamic range that was higher than the highest dynamic range found in recorded music today.  And in my experience, that would almost certainly be classical music.  I was simply proposing that any DR higher than the highest DR found in currently available content was a non-starter, because it would be so impractical from a playback standpoint.

Good point you are making. 

HDR video is useful because prior video had a dynamic visual range which is less than our eyes have.  We don't have the same situation with sound.  Recordings can more or less equal the range of our ears or perhaps exceed it.  For other reasons we don't even come close to using the range that is available.  

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My immediate response: what's the point? For any reason, whatsoever ...

16/44.1 is perfectly capable of capturing the full range of the most extreme orchestral exercises - I have a recording which starts with an climactic fanfare - if set at the right level, and people were unaware, then a few changes of underwear may be called for - the piece then continues, with fff passages galore, and no irritating anomalies.

Decades ago I did an exercise where I listened to a classical piece attenuated by 60dB, in 16/44.1 format. The volume had to be set on maximum, and I could just barely hear it with my ear against the speakers - and there was the piece, fully intact; very noisy, as if it was raining quite hard - but none of the sense and impact of the piece was lost, at all. So, I was listening to something with 60dB DR, and, it worked - it was impractical because the gain of the amplifying chain needed to be so much greater to even hear it.

Some of the impact had to be lost.  Your sensitivity to sound at lower frequencies is much lower at such low loudness levels.  Ditto for the highs.  You necessarily lost some of the potential impact.  Your brain may very well have adapted and it still sounded okay.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

MQA has reduced HF content. The "core" decodes to 96 kHz, then the "render" filters roll off the high frequencies somewhat.

Maybe some aliasing is replacing the lost HF.

1 hour ago, semente said:

This is from an interview with Daniel Weiss:

Your equipment supports up to 24 bits, 192kHz. Is that completely overkill?

Yes. Bob Stuart of Meridian once gave a talk at AES and his proposal was to keep it at 60 kHz.
The closest one we have as a standard is 88,2, but more equipment supports 96.
96 is coming from the studio standard, doubled from 48. But 88,2 or 96 will be plenty.

Yes and Stuart gets this referencing J_J Johnston which is where Lavry also gets the idea. It's based upon the fact  a small number of people do hear to 23-25 khz. Johnston suggested 60-65 khz sample rates would allow a wider transition band rolling off at 30 khz. This in his opinion is enough for a fully blameless transparent digital system you could be sure no humans could find fault with if done well.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For non-ringing transition band you need 1st order anti-alias filter. You can calculate where that would fall into -96 dB (16-bit) or -144 dB (24-bit) level to avoid aliasing... ;) And then place your Nyquist based on that.

DSD certainly fixes that problem! ;)

I don't think the idea was a non-ringing filter.  If the ringing is all above 25 khz, and the filter easier to make perform as desired if it ins't crazy steep, then no one can hear any effects of ringing.  Any slight aliasing or imaging is above 25 khz.  So 25 khz and below could potentially be pristine.  

20 hours ago, Miska said:

That's the thing, to make it not crazy steep and keep it all above 25 kHz and have analog reconstruction filter that doesn't have any phase shifts at 25 kHz and yet doesn't leak any images...

I've done the math, and the answer is DSD in terms of bandwidth and all those other properties. PCM resolution window is rectangular until you start using noise shaping, and when you do that you can begin to reduce number of bits and then you gain DAC linearity as a result and it all leads to...

I don't think the intent was ever to make the filter analog. Still digital and still steep. But a 7500 hz wide transition is less steep than 2050 hz.