IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

15 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Lavorgna's trolling worked perfectly, plain and simple.  He wasn't here to discuss computer audio.  He was here to disrupt, pure and simple.  And he succeeded, even subsequent to the banning .

The revival of the WDW "civility" thread is the clearest example of his success:  https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/13204-civility/

The "incivility" being objected to of course isn't someone saying GFYM, but rather, the subjectivist snowflakes lamenting the banning of their prophet.

I'm not sure "prophet" is the best word.  In my experience, narcissists collect sycophants.

5 minutes ago, Indydan said:

But, when ML would post here, it appeared to me he was playing games and being facetious. It looked like he would avoid answering questions directly, and would try to anger members. Once a member would erupt and lose his cool, ML would then discredit him and state something like, it was impossible to have a rational conversation. It seemed like he would play these games to discredit others, to avoid answering questions and make himself look good and more mature. He is somewhat skilled at these games, but I think some people here saw right through him.

This is called trolling, and it has existed on the internet for decades.

7 minutes ago, Indydan said:

True, But most trolls are obvious in their behaviour. They do it for the fun they get from disrupting sites, and getting a reaction from people. I don't get the impression ML was doing it for this reason, but more to prove he was right, or to pursue an agenda (for lack of a better term). 

Potato, potatoe

7 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

You have a very quick mind, processing information faster than most. Don't necessarily think that people are up to speed with what you think is light hearted fun.

With due respect, and in the spirit of politeness, I think this is an example of the disingenuous nature that's being discussed.  From what I've read, you present your particular audio/social worldview as something like "normal", and those who fall outside of this myopic definition of "normal" as being unusual, antisocial,  or some other kind of pejorative outlier.   In other words, instead of believing it, you "are it".

Notice how you said "people" and not "some people" or "most people"?

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

I have really no idea what reasoning process could lead to such a conclusion. ML is responsible for the existence of his own 'buttons', his reaction (a word which better describes his behaviour than 'response') when they're pressed isn't in any sense a 'justifiable' one.

That's how I perceived the distinction between "fault" and "responsibility".

Just now, opus101 said:

If you'd set out what you understand to mean by this word 'blame' I might have a stab at answering... Alternatively if you argue the word is my own introduction (which I accept) then what you meant by 'fault'.

With due respect, you linked the words "fault" and "blameworthy".  Just trying to understand the mindset that is sympathetic to ML because of the alleged hardship he had to endure.

Wow, tiny font.  Copy and paste from a word processor?

12 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:
  • “narcissists collect sycophants”

Fixed, and I completely stand by this. 

It had to have taken quite a bit of time and effort to assemble that list.

It's clear that some attribute some kind of nobility to ML (assuming you're not a sock puppet).  I have seen no evidence of that nobility, but will gladly repent if some evidence exists.

21 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

Prior to this thread I knew nothing about Michael Lavorgna or his web site. I went to check it out and found a fantastic feature called "Download of the Week". It's been a source for some music I would never have known about otherwise. Thanks all.

Spend an hour on bandcamp and you'll be giving ML "Download of the Week" advice.  :)

4 hours ago, plissken said:

Is it me or does his room, even over a cheap camera mic, sound reverberant?

To me, the video did nothing other than confirm ML's affluence bona fides.  The whole thing felt kind of crass.  For some in audiophilia, those bona fides are a prerequisite for audiophile credibility.  For others, it has the opposite affect.  No doubt ML wants the adoration of the former, and is contemptuous of the latter.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Preaching from the guy who was banned from CA for telling someone to go fuck his mother. Too funny!

https://www.audiostream.com/content/internet-anger-good-audiostream-public-service-announcement

Very interesting that he acknowledges the two most "popular" threads on his site are Ethernet cables and MQA.  Also interesting that he doesn't acknowledge that disingenuousness can be gasoline on flames of polemics, which no doubt are excellent examples of the "anger" that he disingenuously posits.

18 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Bizarre to me that everyone associated with Stereophile is doubling and tripling down on MQA. And I haven't seen where they've addressed the points raised by Linn or Schitt. Nor has JA addressed the special attention given to his own recordings that birthed his new world.

And you won't.  ML, JA, and others (Scoggins comes to mind) are repeating the mantra that the "armchair engineers" or "anonymous comments" (as ML now refers to them) can be safely ignored.  It's either veiled or overt ad hominem which is a really good indication to me that they know they can't win on science or technical fact.

22 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Some recent comments from Steven Plaskin from the Audiostream "Is MQA DRM" post (with responses from "DH"):

Steven Plaskin: I am deeply disturbed by the destructive anger that is being encouraged at another site dedicated to our hobby. Most audiophiles I know couldn’t give two shits about MQA. But the vitriol and devise behavior being propagated displays to me some serious issues that need to be addressed - and they are not audio issues.

Here is a direct quote about what I am referring to:

Lavorgna is a jerk

Make an 'objective' comment you are sneered at as a "mere cloth-eared engineer".
Make two and you're off.

And his lackey, the snake-oil freak Steve Plaskin, is even worse, though at least he is reasonably polite about it.

What normal thinking adult would want to be part of this?

When it was brought up that AudioStream turns out more equipment reviews, the owner of the site questioned AudioStream’s quality of writing. Just compare Chris Connaker’s review of the SOtM sMS-200 with mine. Reach your own conclusions.

There is a true disconnect from reality occurring that in the end, will only hurt our hobby.

DH: You are correct. But the context is that ML was banned from CA because of HIS language and behavior there, including the use of profanity related to someone's mother.

Steven Plaskin: And this language was sent in a private message. If Chris did not want Michael to post on his site, he could have told Michael in a private message. Chris decided that punishing Michael would further his economic goals. Naturally, I cannot know what Chris is thinking, but his behavior and tolerance of abusive posts suggests what I am referring to.

DH: I'm not defending some of the language used at CA. But some of MLs public posts were also not what I'd expect of a professional.

Chris doesn't allow the private messaging function at his site to be exploited for abuse.

I think that's exactly how it should be. I'm not really sure why you are excusing that kind of behavior.
ML isn't the first to be banned from the site for that type of stuff.

Steven Plaskin: This isn’t really about Michael’s “street language”. I think you know what I’m referring to.

edit: Michael Lavorgna has just added this: Chris allows abusive, offensive, and ...insulting language directed at people who do this for a living on his site - every day. To my mind, this is not the way a professional moderates a forum.

I call shenanigans.  If you think @The Computer Audiophile is too coddling to rude posters, take it up with him.  I can only conclude that you're escalating your forum civility campaign because what you've done so far hasn't gotten as many people banned as you had hoped.  I get that you're pining for the days of yore at CA, but time marches on.  Maybe I missed the other posts but it seems to me your only contributions to CA of late are protestations of incivility.

That back and forth that you so helpfully 9_9 copied/pasted is nothing more than a desperate attempt from the MQA cabal to dismiss all anti-MQA discussion as rooted in immature, vindictive personal grievance.  And now you're trying to use it as a proxy to facilitate a CA forum witch hunt.  It's a transparent bid to elevate your authority here IMHO.