IGNORED

Metrum Onyx/Jade

Lucky you! More than curious about the Onyx experience! I checked and the second batch is about ready, so i am sure ill have one soon!

Heard they go like crazy and that the second batch is pretty large. PS they also run a nice sweepstake on the website, chance to win a headphone amplifier :-)

I haven't had enough time with it yet to form a substantive opinion, but I am happy to post initial impressions. Point of comparison in my main system is the Metrum Acoustics Musette (with upgraded DAC Two Transient modules).

The sound stage has now assumed a palpable realism; wider than the Musette but my immediate reaction is that I could reach out and touch what I am listening to. I realise that reads like nonsense, but it's how I feel. It's amazing to experience. It is incredibly vibrant; instruments are articulate, well placed and the vocals are simply sublime.

The noise floor must be stupidly low, because I can now hear background detail I simply couldn't hear before. For example, on the Dido album 'Life for Rent', there is a track titled 'Something about Mary'. At the start of the second verse there is a noise in the background that I had always thought before was someone clapping, but can now hear is someone tap dancing. Super!

The Musette is a genuinely excellent DAC, but the Onyx is just far better. Same beautiful Metrum Acoustics presentation, but just 'more' of all that makes it good. I know we all crave percentages and other means of comparison, but all I can say is that I am super happy with my investment and I am really looking forward to the reviews from other owners. I really am itching to try the dCS NB with this now.

I am not an audio reviewer, so apologies if some of my descriptive narrative isn't brilliant.

It is, but I think that will probably be a suitable place to pause investment for a while. The dCS Network Bridge must absolutely justify itself though, I won't buy it on name alone. I have been offered a trial, but I wanted to hold off until I had a DAC worthy of it.

What does your system look like? What are you using for your source?

On 11/12/2017 at 7:28 PM, Ben2300 said:

Good for you. by looking at your setup. you don't seem to do online streaming or NAS. Otherwise i will suggest a audio grade switch or router for your setup. it is a huge benefit.

I do stream Tidal. I have no need for an 'audio grade' switch. I use power line adapters to stream Tidal and it works brilliantly.

• 4 weeks later...

Cold out of the box: gobsmacked, from the first song and on: Wider and deeper stage, better separation, highs are clear (without being annoying), bass tighter, new details, dynamic (fast with grip), voices natural. To sum it up: Flow of individually instruments/voices making music, much more live/being there experience. 

Now I really can't wait to get the NAA sorted (I'm still playing with a PC/USB out). Primaluna Dialogue HP, Harbeth Compact7, acoustic treatments.

• 2 weeks later...