IGNORED

Objective proof the UpTone Regen ISO can improve a DAC's output(*)

4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Come up Chris, seriously. When folks run around making claims in any endeavor they are expected to be able to back those claims up.

When they are then offered the opportunity to do so, and show the whole world they are right, and refuse to even participate, there's no reason to think hard at why, or attempt read things into it. The actions speaks for themselves.

There is a difference between responding to a manufacturer who makes a claim about a product and a user who posts that the device made his system sound better. YOU may think you have scientific proof showing the device can't do that, but actually you only have a "science-like" indication. 

Nothing has risen to the level of proof for how something sounds in another setup.

So, IMO, there is little point to respond to a specific user that his ears are fooling him. You actually don't know that. 

In addition, home users have basically little or no ability to conduct anything like a scientific or truly blind test on a device. So they audition as best they can and make a judgement. As long as they don't make claims for how the IR or any other device will sound in someone else's system, they really should be left alone to "have at it". 

Note again: this is coming from someone who didn't think the IR made a positive (or negative) difference in his setup. But hey, that was a sighted comparison...so maybe it made a huge positive difference and I couldn't hear it. :D

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, plissken said:

I'm not sure how someone would disagree that Amir just supplying an overwhelming amount of data here didn't just benefit people that are purchasing the Uptone. It does have the downside for Uptone that it may affect their LPS-1 sales. The LPS-1 is most likely gravy. 

Actually, I think Amir's data makes it more likely people will order an LPS-1 or other upscale PS. The device powering the LPS-1 itself is mostly irrelevant. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

The problem arises in the fact that no one from the subjective community will ever participate in real listening tests, so we're left to argue over if some 60 or 70hz noise at -2000 db is audible.  LOL

Not really true. But it's a good myth. And the denial cuts both ways.

Every time someone passes a BT or DBT showing they can hear something supposedly inaudible like low levels of jitter or the difference between hi-res and Redbook, the objectivist camp also claims the test was invalid.  And yes, there have been individuals who have submitted themselves to such tests and passed. 

Of course there was also the famous "million dollar" test (the great Randi) to disprove the idea that a high end ethenet cable could make a positive difference. But after the test "proved" that it couldn't, the test conclusions were  shown to be flawed. So it proved nothing, either way.

It's convenient to wave around the flag "no one will ever participate", but not so easy to setup a well designed test, especially if you want to test enough individuals of various types to actually prove something. 

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

You know that is for the most part total baloney your trying to pass off.

esldude posted numerous tests that people ran away from participating in.

If people were passing these DB tests on magic dust products like you claim, they'd be posted from one end of this site to the other, jumping out of the pages on Stereophile-TAS, proof of purpose demo's being run at all the big Hi Fi shows, etc etc etc.

There have been some well done ones that were passed, like the one Amir took and posted in reply to you on ASR,

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/uptone-iso-regen-review-and-measurements.1829/page-17#post-46864

AND the tests your referring to are ones of things that ARE measurable,  not dracula's coffin of dirt grounding schemes.

What particular myth would you like to bust?  The guys might  be able to whip up a opportunity for you.

Sal, can you please stop just trying to score points? You are arguing and being insulting about claims I didn't make. 

You made a broad generalization about "subjectivists" being in denial.

My response was that "objectivists" also exhibit this trait, and I gave  a few examples: Look around the net where it is constantly claimed that "science proves" that listeners can't differentiate between hi-res and redbook, or between moderate and low levels of jitter. 

Yet, it has been shown that trained listeners can do both in properly conducted tests. So you and Amir are only confirming what I said, not the opposite. I'm not sure how we disagree here.

In spite of this, when  tests like this come up, many  "objectivists" will repeatedly claim that "the test was flawed", because the results go against what they "know" must be true. So in that they are no different than  the people you claim are in denial.  Just surf a bit and you will find examples. 

Beyond that, I posted at ASR a request to Amir that he stop cherry picking my posts here, distorting what I said, and then using them to score debate points. Quite disrespectful, and even obnoxious behavior, IMO. 

Just now, Sal1950 said:

Stop squirming firedog, I won't ask you to take any listening tests.

You put up a couple of instances of passed listening tests and use them in general support of the "trust your ears, everything matters" mantra. I can pass a test of my loudness button being on or off too. LOL  The subjective audio world, from both marketers, clients, and media a is full of ridiculous claims of audibility that no one will step up to the plate to support. These things are discussed on this site every day but again no one will provide evidence.

Your straw dog of examples brought nothing of value to the discussion.

Wow, Sal, have you lost your reading glasses?

I've said nothing of the sort. You keep projecting onto my posts things I haven't written. Even when I agree with you and Amir you somehow find it objectionable. Please find one post of mine among the thousands here where I claim that one should only "trust their ears", and ignore everything else. 

If you want to debate me, please debate what I post, not some imagined version that exists only in your head.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Copy of a response to you over on ASR:

Could you specify or link to those if possible. I don't know of any on jitter.

On hires vs redbook there are always, in the ones I know, caveats. And that is okay, just wish to know which ones you speak of.

There is one where hires downsampled was detected vs hires, but not native redbook vs hires. Seems likely the downsampling is what was audible. There are the MQA related results, but they also include poor dither practice and unusually steep filtering, and point to a very weak effect. There was another where DSD was detected vs 48 khz, but not detected vs 44 khz which seems as if something odd must have been going on.

I don't know of any showing jitter being detectable except at very high levels. Would be most interested in those results.

Don't have the time to look now. I'm going on vacation and am running out of time to do everything I need to before I leave.

AFAIR, Harman did some tests showing that trained listeners could detect such things. I might have it confused with something else. 

But as noted as ASR, Amir himself says he passed such a test with hi-res.

Years ago there was a "jitter test" published online with a file given various levels and also no added jitter. There were people who did testing with these files and succeeded in identifying quite low levels of jitter. As I recall,  I could fairly reliably differentiate the file with 30 ns of added jitter, from the file with 100.  The file with 100 wasn't hard to pick out. Below that it got difficult to hear for me.  Oft quoted by people claiming to represent "science"  is a figure that jitter below 50ns or  250ns is inaudible.